Hitting High With 6" GP100

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
OK, so I measure the factory sight. The height of the sight flush off the barrel, the part sitting on the base which goes into the groove, is roughly .280. I had to subtract the height of the base. With the sight installed, the base is perfectly flush with the barrel. The whole height with the base is .350".

The Hi-Viz I bought is almost exactly the same. Height of sight off the base is .276. Height of whole sight is roughly .350.

I am shooting from a rest in single action. I am shooting my 158 grain SWC reloads. I have some factory .38 lying around but the gun will be almost exclusively shot with my reloads, so I want it to be dialed in for those. I am not flinching. I have been shooting a long time, but I tested myself by loading some spent shells in there. No flinch on a click.

So the new sight is the same height as the factory. Could it really be that far off? I'm gonna shoot it again on Monday or Tuesday to get an actual measurement, and plug the numbers into the Dawson calculator, but can 3-4 inches high from a rest at 10 yards be fixed by a slightly taller sight?

woodperson

Single-Sixer
So how did it shoot with the same loads with the factory sight? My experience is that real slow loads can shoot pretty high in relation to faster ones,

contender

Ruger Guru
If I read your post right,, when you have the factory front sight installed,,, you have an total height of .350. And when you have the Hi-Viz installed,, you have a total height of .350. Correct?

Since the sights are the same height, once installed, it can only be something else.

Ammo often comes to mind as the first thing. And yes,, different ammo can & will impact at different elevations. And if you are only shooting at 10 yds,, you say it's shooting 3"-4" high,, correct?
Another thing you may not understand, is the way your eye sees the front sight now. Is the Hi-Viz a fiber optic? Switching from a post type,, to a fiber type can possibly affect how YOUR eyes see things. So, have you tried to let someone else,,, who is a good shooter shoot the gun with the exact same ammo, with each different sight installed to see their results?

There are several reasons we have variables in accuracy. Sometimes it's the ammo, sometimes the gun, sometimes the shooter, and sometimes more than a single reason.