Hit and / or Miss gun stories

Help Support Ruger Forum:

loaded round

Hunter
This is a pass and a miss. A few years ago before they stopped making them, the Cabela’s gun case had 8 or so Browning Hi-Power pistols. I had passed because they were pretty abused. Or at least extremly well used.

I just wish I had bought one or two, they were only $400 and $500 at the time. I could have gotten one refinished and rebuilt.

Who knew Browning would stop making them???
Are you aware that Springfield Armory is now making an almost an exact copy of the Browning Hi-power for around 850.00. I'm on the waiting list to buy one for myself! Model number is SA-35.

sceva

Single-Sixer
Stopped in at the Local Gun Shop and there was a Brand new 6" Python in the case for the current list ( about $200 ). Might as well have been $2000 as I was earning less than 10K a year couldn't afford even that.

Are you aware that Springfield Armory is now making an almost an exact copy of the Browning Hi-power for around 850.00. I'm on the waiting list to buy one for myself! Model number is SA-35.
Oh yes, I’ve seen them. I don’t think they are close at all though. The finish is entirely different. To me, this model just doesn’t hold the same appeal at all.

gundog5

Bearcat
I had an early model [email protected] 29 .44 Mag with a 6.5 inch barrel. I was in the correct clam shell case in mint condition. As I recall I bought it for $300.00 also had a pre 64 Winchester M70 .375 [email protected] I bought it for $175.00. I was unmarried and it was around 1968. Fast forward to 1973 and I was on the police department making about $825.00 a month. I got married and bought a house. We needed drapes and carpeting. So being a good provider I sold the .44 and the .375 to pay for the carpets and drapes. 6 years later I no longer had the wife, the house or the carpets and drapes or my guns. 🥲👮🏻‍♂️

Cholo

Staff member
Stopped in at the Local Gun Shop and there was a Brand new 6" Python in the case for the current list ( about $200 ). Might as well have been $2000 as I was earning less than 10K a year couldn't afford even that.
Been there :(

In '76 I was in college and hardly had a dime to my name. I was at work and someone said that John was selling his brand new 4" blued Python for $150. Seems his wife s*** when he brought it home and told him to sell it. $150, might just as well been $100k in that there's no way I could come up with that much $. It didn't last long.

Xrayist

Single-Sixer
Many years ago, was in high school and worked at a gunshop. The owner was a collector of really high grade firearms. He offered me an original Colt 3rd Model Dragoon. I can't remember the price, but it was out of his collection and I think it was around 1K. I was making $2 an hour, but he said I could take as long as needed to pay it off.....didn't take it....

gunzo

Buckeye
The Python stories reminded me of mine.
I didn't have a 357 at the time & was looking. Wanted a 6" Smith 19. But they were very hard to find(mid 70's) & priced at retail or above when found.
Went in the gun shop & there laid a new 6" Python at the old retail of $253. I knew they'd just announced a price increase to $304. I had to have it. Struck a deal for 255 tax & all & told the shop owner I'd be back.
Wife had dropped me off there & when she picked me up I told here to take me to the bank... Yeah, I was going to have that Python & willing to take out an installment loan to do it. Naturally, the wife lost her mind which wasn't at all hard for her to do. But this time she made a good point.
She had to defrost our old thrift store fridge about every 2 weeks so it would work right. We needed a fridge. The Python cost me $500. I got it & we got a a new frost free Frigidaire. Probably took me 12 or 18 months to pay for that pistol.
Now trying to remember if she took the fridge when she left years later.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Been there :(

In '76 I was in college and hardly had a dime to my name. I was at work and someone said that John was selling his brand new 4" blued Python for $150. Seems his wife s*** when he brought it home and told him to sell it. $150, might just as well been $100k in that there's no way I could come up with that much $. It didn't last long.
That would have been a hella price in 1976. I know. I was there. That was in the days of Magnum Force and Starsky & Hutch and they were just not to be found, new or used. I finally bought a pair from a couple of friends--I paid $275 for the 4", no box, moderate normal use wear, and $325 for the 6", which was like new in the box with all the factory papers.

Rum River

Bearcat
-Passed on a minty, correct M1 Garand National Match - 'cuz I thought $270 was too much money.
-Paid $140 for a Soviet SKS with all the little accessories - and then traded it less than a year later even-up for a MEC .410 bore reloading press & other assorted crap.
-Passed on a three screw Blackhawk in .30 carbine for $300.

I'm old - that's my excuse.

KIR

Blackhawk
My solution: Purchase with a credit card (two of 'em if you can), Sell one and keep one, plus you have some money and time to pay off the card.

aciera

Bearcat
This is a pass and a miss. A few years ago before they stopped making them, the Cabela’s gun case had 8 or so Browning Hi-Power pistols. I had passed because they were pretty abused. Or at least extremly well used.

I just wish I had bought one or two, they were only $400 and $500 at the time. I could have gotten one refinished and rebuilt.

Who knew Browning would stop making them???
And they started making them again.
And a stainless one now too!!!

pie

Bearcat
I once had 6 of the original snake guns minus the Boa. At the time they were going for $3500 which I thought was ridiculous so I never bought one. Just a few years later they're selling for $10K. I wish I had bought all of them at $3500.

BearBiologist

Blackhawk
Used my separation pay from the Army to buy a used S & W Model 58. Traded to my brother for an OM .41 Blackhawk. Traded for something else (to him) along the way. He still has both!

Latest posts