Hit and / or Miss gun stories

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hittman

Staff member
How about a story or two of a gun you missed or maybe passed on ‘cause it wasn’t what you thought.

Missed ~ by a few hours. Local pawn shop sold for $200 an “old Ruger cowboy gun” they said someone had “painted”. Yep, I found later it was a mint tri-color.

Passed ~ guy was really excited telling me about a super rare single action. You know the type …. Says he’s done his research, etc. Gonna be firm at $1800.00. Says it’s a rare caliber, new in box. I get there to see it and maybe threw up in my mouth a little. He has an OM 30 Carbine. Three digit no less! He “polished” the grip frame for that two tone look, put rubber grips on it, drilled 3 holes in the top strap, had it safety converted and didn’t keep those “unsafe” parts. All this in a NEW Model box held together with duct tape on all 4 corners. * Sigh *

This is a pass and a miss. A few years ago before they stopped making them, the Cabela’s gun case had 8 or so Browning Hi-Power pistols. I had passed because they were pretty abused. Or at least extremly well used.

I just wish I had bought one or two, they were only $400 and $500 at the time. I could have gotten one refinished and rebuilt.

Who knew Browning would stop making them???

turd

Blackhawk
How about sold? I used to have a collection of S&W .41 Mags - 8 3/4 ", 6", and a 4" , all 57s, all less than 1s. Due to economic circumstances, I ended up selling the 6" and the 4". The 6" was a 57-1 that I slicked up and added a good Hogue wood grip, the 4" was Magna ported. I managed to replace the 4" with a Mountain Gun and the 6' with a NM Blackhawk, but regret so much that I was forced to sell those two.

Cholo

Staff member
I don't even like to think about this one :(

I've wanted a S&W 35-1 .22 for 30 or so years. I've had the 4" M34 Kit Gun since about '76, but I wanted that 6" 35-1. It became a grail gun of sorts and every one I found was lacking. Off and on I'd keep checking, but I never found one in the condition I wanted.

One came up around late last year on the S&W forum. The pics were too dark and I asked if he could send better ones, They were just as dark. I lightened them up so they looked a little better, but I once learned the hard way that good pics are necessary. Nice guy, but I passed.

I only go to one GA gun show any more, the largest in the state. I have a gun show friend, Tom, and I always sit at his table and watch things when he has to step out. Great guy. At the last gun show I head to his tables first and what's sitting there but a mint 35-1 with the box and I believe all the goodies for a fair price. I don't handle guns I don't have intention of buying, so I handled it. Here it is, though I wasn't specifically looking for one at this time. It even had the ultra rare target grips! I said: I believe I'll be buying this one; I'll be back in a little bit. 20 minutes later...

When my kids were young and they did something that didn't turn out well I'd ask them what led you to make this decision or what made you think this was a really good decision at the time.

That one hurt, and a part of me hopes I never see another one LOL

Toyman

Single-Sixer
I went to a local show and as I usually do stop at tables run by dealers I know. The dealer was busting his buttons, he had purchased a S&W Victory model with2 inch barrel. The 2inch Victories are hard to find and many have been built by individuals.
I looked the gun over and noted the front sight had been silver soldered on and the barrel had been cut behind the front barrel lug.
The dealer advised the seller showed him a price in the BLUE BOOK and he bought it for considerably less.
The dealer took it pretty good and said the price of education is expensive.
Later I sawt he gun on another table of a dealer I had never done business with.
I stopped at the table of the original dealer and he said he sold it a discounted price and the current was sure it was legitimate.
I did not say anymore.

ProfessorWes

Hunter
Most of my regrets involve milsurps. I really wish I hadn't passed on a pair of minty-fresh No.4 MK1 Long Branch Enfield .303s for $400, back during the big milsurp import craze in the 90s. One of them had been shortened and converted into a fake jungle carbine, the other left stock, but I'm not sure either of them had ever been issued. Sigh. Looking back on it, $200 apiece was a bargain, even for the shorty.

Not to mention missing out on the arsenal-refurb Soviet SKSs, straight from Tula, for $175 or so. Didn't have the money.

There was also an Israeli Mauser 98K that had been rebarrelled and rechambered to 7.62 NATO by IMI in the 1950s, still featuring both Israeli and Nazi proofmarks. Stock was a bit beat up and stenciled with Hebrew lettering - from the militia unit it last belonged to? - but the metal and bore were in great shape. IIRC the guy wanted $175 for it. Man, if guns could talk . . .

gunzo

Buckeye
So many threads over the years about the guns you regret selling has some merit. But the guns I didn't buy are the true missed opportunities.

Of course, most can't buy them all, & I like so many guns, nearly all eras, styles & types of guns, it would be impossible for me to even begin to satisfy my appetite.

But, a few guns I didn't purchase bother me way more than the ones I've gotten rid of.
I'd finally gotten myself into some extra income on a regular basis & had rewarded years of being broke with a Les Baer 1911 & later a Freedom Arms revolver when I ran upon a Texas Longhorn Arms Grover #5 at a good price. Guilt, not being broke held me back. I'd spent too much I thought & passed. A later regret. No tears shed, just a missed opportunity to own a really neat handgun, one that doesn't come along everyday.

That type of thing is an example of my gun regrets, nothing major, just a...dang it!! moment.

Dan in MI

Staff member
Heard of a NIB MK-II Great Eight (std config, not 22/45) at a shop within my state. I Immediately call. Closed. I get up early and dial and dial from 8:55 to 09:00 to make sure I'm first to call. By all great luck I AM FIRST. "Sorry sir, somebody left a message with deposit information last night."

I had been going to a particular show for several years, more than ten years ago. Good size show, lots of good stuff. One thing of notice was a nice Hawkeye handgun that had been in the same exact spot in the same show case for two or three years, for $1100 and I just kept saying "maybe next time". Passed on it a half-dozen times, and it had actually acquired a coating of dust from inactivity. I finally decided to buy it, put the money in my wallet, and drove the hour to the show. Went straight to the Hawkeye case and it was GONE . . . just an outline left in the dust. Guy said he sold it a half-hour ago. 😭

eveled

Hunter
30 years ago the local news paper reported that a 1911 had been found laying in the middle of the road at a specific time. I had driven down that road about an hour earlier.

Probably for the best if I had found it, it would have been hard to do the right thing. Especially if it was a Singer! Lol.

I never found out what the outcome was.

Chief 101

Hunter
How about when an old guy's eyes start fading and he can no longer see the sights on his models 27, 29, 686 and SBH...all first year and all super accurate so off they go...then a few years later the eyes get optimized and he has to start his collection again with modern versions of the old classics...does that count?

Snake45

Hawkeye
Most of my regrets involve milsurps. I really wish I hadn't passed on a pair of minty-fresh No.4 MK1 Long Branch Enfield .303s for $400, back during the big milsurp import craze in the 90s. One of them had been shortened and converted into a fake jungle carbine, the other left stock, but I'm not sure either of them had ever been issued. Sigh. Looking back on it, $200 apiece was a bargain, even for the shorty.

Not to mention missing out on the arsenal-refurb Soviet SKSs, straight from Tula, for $175 or so. Didn't have the money.

There was also an Israeli Mauser 98K that had been rebarrelled and rechambered to 7.62 NATO by IMI in the 1950s, still featuring both Israeli and Nazi proofmarks. Stock was a bit beat up and stenciled with Hebrew lettering - from the militia unit it last belonged to? - but the metal and bore were in great shape. IIRC the guy wanted $175 for it. Man, if guns could talk . . .
You'll love this...

In the late '80s, my next door neighbor got an FFL on a lark. Asked if could order anything for me. Got him to get me a Tula milled SKS, a nice No. 4 Enfield, and an Israeli K98. Each was a few bucks one way or the other of $100, and I think he only charged me $5 (or maybe $10) apiece for his trouble. The SKS came through with a cracked and oil-soaked stock, which couldn't be repaired. I replaced it with a Chinese stock, which I had to modify a little to get it to work.

I still have all three. And, believe it or not, I've never fired any of the three to this day!

contender

Ruger Guru
I think most of us who enjoy firearms can share a few stories.

At the tender age of 17, I fired my first Ruger Hawkeye,, and said; "I'll get me one of these!" Well, young, most often broke,, when I'd find one, I would be broke. As I aged,, it became my holy grail ghost gun. Once,, I saw one on a gun show table,, and couldn't swing the cost. But it did lead to making very good friends with that dealer. As we became friends,, he knew I wanted one. He called me one day,,, saying he'd just gotten a Hawkeye,, and it would cost me $1200. However,, he was also shipping it "out west" to be photographed for a book. And upon it's return, I could get it. I allowed that I didn't have the money at that time,, but that in a week or so,, if I got a job I'd bid on, I would have the money. He asked; "Do you want me to hold it for you? To which I replied; "I hate to ask you to hold it, and I fail to get the bid & not be able to pay for it. He kept pushing me to say to him to hold it. But I valued friendship more & wouldn't want to go back on my word.
Besides,, I figured that it's come back to him about the time I'd know about the job. About a week later,, I got the call, I had the job. I called my friend. He said; "I wish you'd said to hold it,,, it got out west, and they wanted to buy it. I sold it to them for $1450.00. Sigh,,,,,
It took me 35 years before the stars aligned & I managed to get my first Hawkeye.

I could share many more missed opportunities,, but that one,, well, it's the hardest.

hittman

Staff member
Probably 15 years ago and before I began studying or had any interest in rifles, this one got away.

Spied in a favorite local mom and pop a Mini 14. Wood and stainless and excellent condition. At the time $400 was reasonable I guess. But I thought…..Gee wiz; who on earth would shoot .222? 😡

Ordguy

Single-Sixer
When I bought my MKIV Series 70 .45ACP with collet bushing they also had the same gun in 9mm. Told myself I didn't want a 9mm 1911. Forty years later I know better and....Oh Well!

BarkeyVA

Bearcat
I never missed a gun that I really wanted, but I do regret that, after our second child was born, I had to trade our 1967 Cougar XR-7 in on a larger family car.

BarkeyVA

Bearcat
One of my “Hits” was due to dumb luck. I bought a used Ruger Mark I, T678, serial number D200001 some time in the mid-late 1960’s. I found out a few years ago that the D-prefix indicates a duplicate serial number and that only about 600 Duplicate Serial Number T678’s were made. I also found out that the known serial number range for these D-serial number T678 models is now D200001 to D200585.

Does walking by a barrel full of 30carbine surplus rifles day after day in a hardware store, most was a $100 bucks a piece, always wanting one but didn't have the spare cash.
About 5 years ago a buddy had a gun store and took in consignments. One was a lettered brass framed 357 Blackhawk, I passed. Then in came a PPK with engraving from the SS in WWII. Nazi Swastikas and all. they bought it for $400 and I passed because of it's probable history.

Well the only reason I will admit to this story is just to prove how STOOOOOOOpid one person can be. Yea ME.
My neighbor and good friend died from cancer in 1995. He had several imported Class 3 autos along with a PERFECT 1921 Thompson with FBI Case, drum, several stick mags, and an extra stock and a M1/M2 select fire Carbine (15-20K today) along with a 1892 14" barrel Winchester 44 WCF/ 44-40 Trapper made in 1917. I think todays value 6-10K
Well his widow asked if I wanted to buy the Thompson for $4500.00 and in all my wisdom I said NO. Yes I had the money see I told you I was Stupid :) She sold it to a local LEO.
Now on to the Carbine IT WAS going to be FREE but I didn't want to mess with the class 3 paperwork. See still Stupid The VERY nice Trapper was real cheap but Stupid Guy thought it was a class 2 at the time. So didn't want to deal with paperwork.
So about six class 3 guns and the trapper were donated to the NRA Museum.
Just call me stooooooooooopid,
Jim

One like this
SOLD
37,500.00USD

1658250182075.png

Latest posts