History for you Hamburger Lovers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Yep you knew it had to be a Texan that invented the Hamburger. This must be where Whatabuger got their idea:)

A Great Texan
326268108_1538928849947197_6642245049198816444_n.jpg

Henderson Co., Texas History
·
Fletcher Davis, 1864-1940, inventor of the Hamburger.
The staff at McDonald's management training center has traced the origins of the hamburger back to the 1904 St. Louis World's Fair, where it was sold by Fletcher Davis on the midway. A New York Tribune writer wrote about the fair and made note of the new sandwich and commented that it was the vendor's own creation.
Fletcher Davis had moved from Missouri to Athens in the 1880s and took a job at the Miller pottery works. He had a flair for preparing food and usually served as chef at his employer's picnics. Business slowed in the late 1800s, and he opened a lunch counter on the courthouse square, where he sold the hamburger.
Davis' sandwich was served with slices of bread instead of bun, contained ground beef, ground mustard mixed with mayonnaise, a large slice of Bermuda onion and sliced cucumber pickles.
Mr. Davis is buried in Athens Cemetery.

RSIno1

Hunter

NC FNS

Bearcat
Could be wrong, but thought I heard that the ice cream cone was also invented at the St. Louis world’s fair. Ice cream vendor ran out of bowls so the waffle vendor rolled up a waffle to hold the scoop of ice cream, or something like that.

eveled

Hunter
For a different take on a cheeseburger. Stop at Ted’s in Meridian Ct for a steamed cheeseburger!

Or Fallriver mass for a chowmein sandwich.

Salem Mass for a Chopsuey sandwich.

Acorn

Buckeye
There used to be a small mom and pop restaurant here that made the best cheeseburgers I've eaten.
served on fresh sliced French bread, fresh ground meat, and what I believe was Velveeta cheese. They opened at 9:00 PM and closed at 4 or 5 AM. When my wife and I were dating in the 80s, we would walk the shopping mall that closed at 9 and head to the Bluebird Restaurant for a cheeseburger, fries, and a salad for less than $5 per. Every so often I'd get a side of sauteed mushrooms, and if I was lucky, someone else had had fried pork chops and my mushrooms were cooked in the juices. Man, they were good. Sadly they closed in the 90s. The owners were older and their son took over and flew it into the ground.

ronto

Buckeye
The best hamburger I ever had was a small stand on Santa Monica Blvd. in L.A. called Gooey Louie's. Real big burger, thick slice of red onion, thick slice of tomato and lettuce dripping with mayonnaise on a large bun. One of those would last you all day. Probably not there anymore.

kean57

Bearcat
Yep you knew it had to be a Texan that invented the Hamburger. This must be where Whatabuger got their idea:)

A Great Texan

·
The staff at McDonald's management training center has traced the origins of the hamburger back to the 1904 St. Louis World's Fair, where it was sold by Fletcher Davis on the midway. A New York Tribune writer wrote about the fair and made note of the new sandwich and commented that it was the vendor's own creation.
Fletcher Davis had moved from Missouri to Athens in the 1880s and took a job at the Miller pottery works. He had a flair for preparing food and usually served as chef at his employer's picnics. Business slowed in the late 1800s, and he opened a lunch counter on the courthouse square, where he sold the hamburger.
Davis' sandwich was served with slices of bread instead of bun, contained ground beef, ground mustard mixed with mayonnaise, a large slice of Bermuda onion and sliced cucumber pickles.
Sorry; none of this is correct. The hamburger was invented by the Menches brothers,

kean57

Bearcat

A Great Texan

·
Sorry; the hamburger was actually created by a pair of Ohio Brothers, Frank and Charles Menches, who were serving them as early as 1885. In 1904, at the St. Louis Fair, they invented and served the first waffle cone.

Armybrat

Buckeye
Whataburger is now owned by a bunch of Chicago yankees. 😫

Had a pretty good half pound hickory burger with applewood smoked bacon yesterday at a sports bar restauran.
Took half of it home for lunch tomorrow.
Wife finished the delicious onion soup.
9708F29B-6DF1-4B57-A949-69FB6AF110F2.jpeg

Ka6otm

Blackhawk
Whataburger is now owned by a bunch of Chicago yankees. 😫

Had a pretty good half pound hickory burger with applewood smoked bacon yesterday at a sports bar restauran.
Took half of it home for lunch tomorrow.
Wife finished the delicious onion soup.
Around 25 years ago I got a consulting job with Homeland Security and around noon my contact there asked if I wanted to go to lunch. I said sure, and off we went.

He pulled into a Sports Bar parking lot and started to get out. I stopped and told him I don't drink until the working day's over. He said he didn't either but the best burgers were in Sports Bars.

He was right. To this day I go to a Sports Bar When I want a great burger and am feeling to lazy to cook my own.
Here's one from the Tropics Tap House in Kailua-Kona Hawaii taken last November. The knife is a fairly good sized steak knife that they give you with each burger so you can cut it into smaller more manageable pieces.
Tropics Tap House Burger.JPEG

Latest posts