Historically Accurate Rebluing for FT's

Help Support Ruger Forum:

preeb

Bearcat
I'm looking to reblue some old 50's Ruger revolvers and was wondering if anybody can recommend a good shop that can do it (preferably in the Phoenix area but not a must).

Need a 100% historically accurate process to achieve perfect restoration.

Ruger can reblue just fine but they use newer methods and the results are not exact in terms of color hue (less blue) and Aluminum grip frames not being anodized but rather blacken in a different way... not to mention the safety conversion.

In other words.. I'm looking for a gunsmith or plater that understands old school prep/bluing methods and old FT Rugers (-;

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

preeb

Bearcat
Sakoluvr said:
I would contact Doug Turnbull for starters.

Thanks.
I wouldn't send an old BHK to Turnbull as they don't reblue (Anodize) Aluminum parts such as the XR3 frame and Ejector housing.

contender

Ruger Guru
He asked about blueing,, not anodizing. Doug Turnbull does excellent work. That is where I'd start if I were to wish to have one restored.

Sakoluvr

Single-Sixer
contender, the response about not using Turnbull was also from the OP.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
preeb said:
I'm looking to reblue some old 50's Ruger revolvers and was wondering if anybody can recommend a good shop that can do it (preferably in the Phoenix area but not a must).

Need a 100% historically accurate process to achieve perfect restoration.

Ruger can reblue just fine but they use newer methods and the results are not exact in terms of color hue (less blue) and Aluminum grip frames not being anodized but rather blacken in a different way... not to mention the safety conversion.

In other words.. I'm looking for a gunsmith or plater that understands old school prep/bluing methods and old FT Rugers (-;

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Frankly when I compare my old models of which I have many with very high original finishes, the only real difference I can see between OMs and current models depends on the level of polish. My high polish OM Super BH is darker and blacker than regular OM examples, and virtually identical to new models which on average have better polishing than the average OM polishing. OMs are not known for their fine polishing, in fact in some cases coarse machining surface marks are obvious, i.e., the front surface of the frame where the barrel meets up.

A Ruger re-blue will be done correctly w/o over buffing, etc., and you'll get it back in 10 days. You can't beat their service and refinish, or even come close to it anywhere, especially for the price!

Ruger's polishing is done on the same type machinery as always, so all the surfaces have the same polishing techniques, direction, and contours as factory guns; the secret of a restoration vs. a refinish! If there's a flaw with factory finishing, it's that the polish is better than originals.

I don't think you'll find a gunsmith specializing in Ruger with the same machines and polishing techniques better than Ruger. This is only available by Colt SAA restorers for Colts, high priced shotguns, antique firearms, etc.

You'll just have to interview several re-finishers to determine if that skill and knowledge exists out there. I don't know that Ruger has changed its bluing process since the '50s. So the color of bluing probably has more to do with the prep and polish than bluing method.

Recognize, there are other details you can use to 'test' the knowledge of prospective candidates to do your refinishing:

Ruger's with original finishes will have the recoil plate in the recoil shield around the firing pin tip "in the white" because it isn't installed until after bluing.

Another nuance is that steel grip frames are polished and blued attached to the frames. Therefore, they will not be completely blued on the mating surfaces.

contender

Ruger Guru
Sakoluvr,, I apologize. I read the responses,, and my feeble mind skipped over the fact that the OP was the main one commenting about Turnbull not doing the anodizing. Entirely my fault for how I mis-read things. My apologies to you.

To the OP. Anodizing parts is done by other factories,, and can be done. You did ask about restoration re-blueing. That is done to steel. Turnbull can do that. Alloy parts can be replaced,,, putting the gun back to an as new looking condition.

And Hondo makes a lot of very good points. The secret to a nicer finish is how it's polished. I had a pair of my S&W revolvers down yesterday. A model 27 & a model 28. Most S&W owners know that the main difference in those two is the finish. It's EASY to see the differences in the duller model 28 over the shiny model 27.

Skilled gunsmiths who know how to polish & restore a firearm are getting fewer & fewer as time passes.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Takes about ten seconds to google "arizona gunsmiths who re blue or cold blue".

http://www.centralazfirearms.com/
Call Nelson Ford in Phoenix, or Vang-Comp in chino valley.
Robar (ask for Ken or Robbie) can recommend the guys THEY would trust).

Doug Turnbull (Broomfield NY) does first-rate restoration work but its not for everyone.

Any gunsmith worth his salt (no pun intended) will have examples or detailed pictures and known pricing. "Estimates" should not end up with actual pricing more than 10% from estimates for a professional.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Note that the old type bluing salts are not available any longer due to the government outlawing one of the components. The new bluing salts formulas all give a black finish. Slow rust bluing will give a more " old style" blue but is much harder and labor intensive to do. And yes, the quality of the prep ( polish prior to bluing) has everything to do with the finish after bluing.
I had a BH refinished by Ruger and it was returned with a very high quality finish
With a polish similar to the OM super BH's.

ryanc.ross

Blackhawk
Hondo makes a great point. The price and turnaround time wont be beat. Only thing is they have and not sure if they still do stamp a R under the frame. Ruger polishes to around 240 and then uses a carding wheel to blend it all in. Pretty sure they use Du-lite Oxiblack. Oxynate no 7 does turn more "blue" after a few months. Here is a pic of a 357 I converted to 44 Special. I blued it in fresh Oxynate no 7. Polished to 240 and carded with a blending wheel.

http://rs778.pbsrc.com/albums/yy66/ryancross1/IMG_1328_zps7xy9drhi.jpg?w=480&h=480&fit=clip
http://rs778.pbsrc.com/albums/yy66/ryancross1/IMG_1329_zpstwfwossy.jpg?w=480&h=480&fit=clip

preeb

Bearcat
Thanks for all the recomendations.
I am looking for someone who does old Rugers correctly.
There are many rebluing service providers out there who use many different techniques. I'm not a lazy guy trying to save time and energy posting my question here and it took quite a bit of googling and studying to understand the "problem"... rebluing steel old Ruger style is simple but rebluing the Aluminum grip frame is another story.
You can't just remove old anodizing and redo it because the removal "bites" into the surface and changes the dimentional properties of the part. It takes a pro who understands the process to do a good prep and correct color anodizing on an old Ruger. The Ruger factory does not do anodizing and neither are most of the other refinishers out there. So I may have been unclear and I'm sorry for that but I am addressing my question to those of you who may have actually restored an old model correctly and can recommend an expert.

preeb

Bearcat
contender said:
I will also offer another idea.
Bobby Tyler of Tyler Gun Works may be another alternative to helping you.

Thanks. Bobby Tyler may just be the perfect option but I'm waiting for him to be back at the shop on Monday before I can talk to him. Any idea if he does Aluminum anodizing?

ryanc.ross

Blackhawk
Working on aluminum gripframes are interesting for sure. And there are few ways to have it done to have it look like Ruger. Cerakote or Gunkote can be mixed to look just like it and it's way more durable. As to recommendations who are able to do the work I would read below.

Any of the following will do in this order. John Gallagher, who is my advanced gunsmithing mentor.....so he goes first. Hamilton Bowen does great work. As do David Clements, Alan Harton...even though Alan is only working on Colts at the moment. Jack Huntington and Ben Forkin do excellent. Bobby Tyler is a heck of nice guy and very capable. John and Dustin Linebaugh are top picks.Good luck on you're venture!!

Ryan

preeb

Bearcat
ryanc.ross said:
Working on aluminum gripframes are interesting for sure. And there are few ways to have it done to have it look like Ruger. Cerakote or Gunkote can be mixed to look just like it and it's way more durable. As to recommendations who are able to do the work I would read below.

Any of the following will do in this order. John Gallagher, who is my advanced gunsmithing mentor.....so he goes first. Hamilton Bowen does great work. As do David Clements, Alan Harton...even though Alan is only working on Colts at the moment. Jack Huntington and Ben Forkin do excellent. Bobby Tyler is a heck of nice guy and very capable. John and Dustin Linebaugh are top picks.Good luck on you're venture!!

Ryan

That's some great info. Thank you Ryan.

preeb

Bearcat
ryanc.ross said:

Ryan

John Gallagher - No Anodizing....

Hamilton Bowen - No Anodizing...

David Clements - No Anodizing...

Alan Harton - Bingo!!!

After speaking with Alan I stopped calling the rest of the list because we are definitely on the same exact book page (-;
Old school all the way..

I will be sending him a few projects and post the results once done.