Hiking

Help Support Ruger Forum:

We do a lot of hiking and it seems as if you can't trust anyone or anything out on the trails these days. I have always carried while enjoying the outdoors but that didn't work to the advantage for these two. I've had one uneasy encounter this year, it seems it's best to not let people get too close to you.

Mobuck

Hawkeye
" I've had one uneasy encounter this year, it seems it's best to not let people get too close to you."
Good advice. Son and I used to deal with some possibly shady characters when answering c-list ads and such but we always had a plan. The above report indicates this was 'out of the blue' without any indication/provocation. Predators are everywhere-at least the guy put one in the hospital.

It is one of the issues I have with the training I've had... they teach that if someone suspicious is coming toward you to put both your hands out in front of you palms out and shout "stop"... I say if your spicy sense is really going off, you put one hand out in front (weak hand) and the other at least close to your weapon.

But you know the reality is that you can't be 100% vigilant 100% of the time.

contender

Ruger Guru
Looks like this guy was prepared for SD,, but wasn't being cautious & "situational aware."
It's a shame he died while the suspect only got wounded.

Predators can & will look for places where the possible encounter with LEO or any real form of resistance is unlikely. They are just like the animals in the woods. They prey upon the ones they think they can attack easily.
Correction; They are worse than the animals. Animals are just trying to survive or protect their babies. These human animals choose to be predators.

And yes,, it's good advice to not let strangers get too close to you,, especially if you are in a location that a predatory human could possibly use that as an advantage against you.

You just never know these days.

I think in these situations that distance is your friend. Might seen rude to somebody genuinely needing help but makes more sense for your own security to stand off a bit and kind of yell out asking them what they need or want.

Agreed about not letting people get too close. Last weekend we stopped at a gas station for some iced tea. My wife was driving my truck, my daughter was in the passenger's seat, I was in the back with tinted windows. As we were getting ready to leave, some guy pulled up and waved at my wife and daughter.

I'm sure he didn't see me in the back seat. I opened my door just a bit to see what he wanted and it surprised him. He started to stutter and finally said he wanted to ask us something. I said we were in a hurry and closed my door.

I'm also 100% positive he was looking at my wife and daughter as easy targets. This was in broad daylight directly in front of a Quick Trip gas station.

I really worry about my daughter when I'm not around. And my wife of course, when she goes to the store. She drives a fancy car and I'm sure bad guys have noticed her at one time or another.

I think you can in a sense be prepared, yet not really. Most are fortunate to go through their life without facing sudden death by another "human".
If/when it happens I suspect it'll take your brain a bit to catch up. You just don't go into every daily life situation thinking somebody here is going to try to kill me in the next few seconds.

dweis

Single-Sixer
I have neen hiking the state parks and forests of PA since being discharges from the Marine Corps in 1n 1969. Having even in combat on two tours in Nam, I was quite comfortable with a firearm. When I began hiking I always carried a pistol because I had read storied about hires and campers being attacjkey across the country. I also carried bear spray, We have a fai share fo back bears in PA. I carried both items in plain sight. One has to be able to reach with quickly to defend oneself. I am 80 now, but I still do the hiking. In good weather. Although I have stopped camping — too much gear to haul, I. Lasts have a 9mm with two extra magazines OWB so any and all can see I am armed. I have never encountered a serious threat except to a couple aggressive bears. I did have to ward off an aggressive drunk who was unarmed, but threading me with a long stick. He kept approaching and following me as I tried to avoid him. Finally i got tired of it and wanted to move on unhindered by the idiot. I warned him to stay away, but he continued to come closer. Well, one brief shot of bear spray did the trick. Nuisance gone.

Bear Paw Jack

Hawkeye
It's a sorry day, when you are more at risk than the one that tries to wave you down for help. Keep forget how many thousands of hardened criminals that were let out of prison, because they might get covid. That wasn't the truth. They were let out to show the softer people how to intimidate and hurt people. And TA is right. They walk among us.

Cholo

Staff member
It seems the poor kid was just too nice a guy :cry: The car really was broken down and he tried to get it going. The woman pulled a gun on him and marched them into the woods wanting their cell phones and bank account #'s.

"Adam pulled out his gun and told her to get on the ground and that's when she started messing around with her gun. It jammed once but they both shot at each other and she was shot a few times and he was shot only once."

His hesitation resulted in his death, so tragic. Read more here:

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
In all the years I've spent outdoors I've only had two "incidents". The first was in the 60's. The family was camping at Mt. Pinos in Los Padres National Forest. A group of bikers showed up and tried to force a family to abandon their camp site. Dad and other adult males walked over and simply explained to the bikers it was time to leave. Faced with a group of WW II and Korean War vets they did so. These men were no longer in their prime, but it was apparent they had seen the dark side of human nature and knew how to deal with it.

The second was almost thirty years ago. I was out jeeping in the SoCal desert with my nephew. He was a San Bernadino Sheriff deputy and sometimes just needed to get out and blow off steam. We came across four guys whose pickup had broken down, so in typical desert fashion stopped to see if they needed help. While we were trying to figure out what was needed one of them mouthed off about just taking my Jeep.

My nephew had left his weapon in his bag in the back of the jeep. All I had was my little AR-7. But it was enough. Afterwards I up my jeep gun to a Mossberg 500. My nephew started keeeping his weapon on his person.

Oh by the way, we just left them where they were without benefit of any aid and contacted the local Sheriff's office. They found them right where we left them. They learned that day that threatening a deputy sheriff, even if you don't know he is one, is not a wise thing to do.

vito

Hunter
A very long time ago, over 50 years, I was stationed at the Army hospital in Aurora, CO. An NCO at the hospital became a patient and later died after being shot and left for dead along a highway in southern CO. He and his family were on their way to visit extended family in NM when he stopped to offer aid to a young couple holding a baby standing beside what appeared to be a disabled car. This young couple then shot the NCO along with his wife, two children and then took his car. The wife and children died, the NCO was barely alive when found but later succumbed. The scum that shot them were arrested within hours. The entire hospital staff was in shock over this tragic family loss. At that time I never kept a firearm in my car, and in fact only owned a single small pistol kept in my dresser drawer, “just in case”. From that day on I have never traveled unarmed, and frankly, would not stop to offer aid, but have called 911 on many occasions to report a person in need of assistance.

Snake Pleskin

Hunter
It is one of the issues I have with the training I've had... they teach that if someone suspicious is coming toward you to put both your hands out in front of you palms out and shout "stop"... I say if your spicy sense is really going off, you put one hand out in front (weak hand) and the other at least close to your weapon.

But you know the reality is that you can't be 100% vigilant 100% of the time.
When i am around people I do not know ,especially in an "isolated" or out of the way area, even in a parking lot, I have one hand in a pocket on my 649. Even if jumped i can fire it from inside the pocket! Surprise!

Latest posts