Hi -VIZ sight for LCR 38 Special

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Deadeye

Bearcat
I ordered a green Hi-viz sight for my LCR. Can I expect any problems installing it? Does anyone have any tips they could share? I have a fiber optic on my 1911 and it is very easy to see.

contender

Ruger Guru
While I haven't swapped any fibers on my LCR, I can say that you will likely have to drill the pin hole for the sight blade.
Remove the factory sight.
Install the Hi-Viz.
Drill 1/2 way through on one side.
Flip over the gun.
Drill the hole the rest of the way through.
Install the pin.

hittman

Staff member
Hmmm .... my 38 Special LCR came equipped with a red hi-viz front site.

Deadeye

Bearcat
contender said:
While I haven't swapped any fibers on my LCR, I can say that you will likely have to drill the pin hole for the sight blade.
Remove the factory sight.
Install the Hi-Viz.
Drill 1/2 way through on one side.
Flip over the gun.
Drill the hole the rest of the way through.
Install the pin.
That's about what I had to do, I used a thumb drill number 53 to get it on and it certainly improves the sight picture. Thanks

charlesappel

Single-Sixer
I surely am puzzled. :?
Both the LCR front sights that I bought for my .38 LCR were pre-drilled. I put a (pre-drilled) Hi-Viz on first and later replaced it with an XS Standard Dot sight - also pre-drilled. The original sight blade was hollow as were both replacements. The revolver had a post on the barrel shroud, drilled to accept the pin. The replacement sights slipped over this post and the pin was tapped through the sight and post. No drilling was required in either case. I also replaced the the original sight on my .22 LCR with a Hi-Viz. Again, the sight slipped over the post on the barrel shroud. All that was required was a punch and small hammer.

Deadeye

Bearcat
charlesappel said:
I surely am puzzled. :?
Both the LCR front sights that I bought for my .38 LCR were pre-drilled. I put a (pre-drilled) Hi-Viz on first and later replaced it with an XS Standard Dot sight - also pre-drilled. The original sight blade was hollow as were both replacements. The revolver had a post on the barrel shroud, drilled to accept the pin. The replacement sights slipped over this post and the pin was tapped through the sight and post. No drilling was required in either case. I also replaced the the original sight on my .22 LCR with a Hi-Viz. Again, the sight slipped over the post on the barrel shroud. All that was required was a punch and small hammer.

Charles, Don't be puzzled, The sight came pre drilled but the the hole didn't quite line up so I used the thumb drill just to align and cleanup the pre-drilled holes. If I didn't I would have certainly would have damaged the pin.