Hi-VIZ installed :(

Help Support Ruger Forum:

That shouldn't even needed to be a question, but unfortunately these days must be asked too often, my question to my gunsmith would be, well more of a statement, hope you can get this replaced, fixed soon. Thanks.

ConradM

Blackhawk
gb6491":z4t601ex said:
2fast4u":z4t601ex said:
my gunsmith busted the capsule :(
Busted the capsule? Are we talking HiViz sights or night sights?
If it's HiViz, the fiber optic rod is replaceable in many of the them.
Regards,
Greg

The HiViz model for XD's aren't replaceable if I remember correctly. They're covered in a resin mold.

gb6491

Single-Sixer
Foothills of the Gila Mountains, SW Arizona.
ConradM":2y7kevd7 said:
The HiViz model for XD's aren't replaceable if I remember correctly. They're covered in a resin mold.
True, the over-molded models (I did state many, not all :) ) would need to have the whole sight replaced. I had one on my model 60 S&W; it would take some doing to damage the optic rod in it. :shock:
The exposed rod HiViz sights are replaceable. Some come with different color rods and a tool to do the exchange. Others will require a little melting of the replacement rod (I'm not sure this type is offered by HiViz; it's probably another make fiber optic sight).
Replaceable style on the left; overmolded on the right
21jro0w.jpg

Regardless of the type sight, if the gunsmith did the damage, he should do the fix on his dime.
Regards,
Greg

waynejitsu

Single-Sixer
It is good he is taking care of it, he 100% "should", he broke it.
The bad news is the additional wait when there should have not been any wait, just enough to replace a sight.
May need to find a new 'smith , of course, it could happen to the best of them...