Hey SR9c folks - are you finding any peening problems?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Luv2reload

Bearcat
I like this pistol - but I won't bite if they have the same problems that the SR9 had.

Bottom line: Do any of you with, say, 500 to 1000 rounds down range see any peening happening on the barrel yet?

Thanks in advance!

L2R

Iron Mike Golf

Blackhawk
So far so good at about 250 rounds. I am working up handloads tonight, so I will be putting another 100 or so downrange in an hour or so.

ConradM

Blackhawk
Iron Mike Golf":o1nr4ljo said:
After another hundred rounds tonight, no peening yet.

Can you take a picture of the top of the chamber? Preferably looking straight down at the top of the gun? I believe you... I just want to see how the fit of parts is holding up compared to my SR9.

waldo1324

Bearcat
i am concerned with that as well. i have yet to put a round thru as of right now. planning on slinging a hundo of lead within the week .

waldo1324

Bearcat
im thinking they should do another recall, possibly a barrell or slide redesign? and maybe they should put more than 5 rounds through it before shipping it out?

Iron Mike Golf

Blackhawk
ConradM":qqkj8rmu said:
Can you take a picture of the top of the chamber? Preferably looking straight down at the top of the gun?

Sure thing. Let me get it cleaned up first.

Iron Mike Golf

Blackhawk
Here's some pics of my barrel after 332 rounds:

Rear View
Rear.jpg

Left view
Left.jpg

jhearne

Buckeye
waldo1324":2g9jjf20 said:
im thinking they should do another recall, possibly a barrell or slide redesign? and maybe they should put more than 5 rounds through it before shipping it out?

There won't be a recall on this. The cost of another recall would hurt Ruger more than the other SR9 Recall as it would entail a full redesign of the slide molds and barrel molds for casting. Then factor in the costs for new tooling and/or fixtures if the changes are more than subtle....CNC operations cost a good chunk of cash.

Most SR9(c) owners don't exhibit Peening, therefore there isn't a reason for Ruger to do anything else besides fix the few who do have it and even fewer who send them in. It's much cheaper for the bean counters, even if it does leave a sour taste in a few SR9 owner's mouths.

I've only seen/heard of 1 or 2 SR9's to completely lockup when at the range from peening. There seems to be 2 kinds of Peening SR9 owners, the ones who send it into Ruger once or multiple times, or the ones who shrug it off and just file it a little or let the deformation wear in and keep on shooting.

Josh

Turbobuddha

Single-Sixer
I got 350 on mine and I got some very slight marks on the ears jsut from the sloppy barrel fit in the barrel. Very minor. Nothing on the top really. But I none of my SR's have much issue on the top.

Once the initial contact from the slack between the barrel and the slide wears down a bit, a quick pass with a file and you'll never see a problem again. The barrel just flops around a bit and thats why the ears get peened up. It'll only go so far and then that's it. As for the top of the barrel, that's a similar situation in that, for nearly all of us, it will only go so far. There are a few bad examples out there where something is seriously wrong with the gun and it should be looked at. For the vast majority of the rest of us, you may see a little initially but it will only go so far. It'll probably develop quicker (ear peening) for those who do more one handed or off hand shooting where the pistol gets turned on it's side a bit more. If you hold the pistol sideways and slowly cycle the slide, you can watch the two pieces hit. Not sure why they ever made that so sloppy. My XD has very minimal slack between the barrel and the slide.

zbird

Bearcat
I should make more of a habit to read more, as I just posted a peening problem then seen this one. Mine is starting to peen a little on the top of barrel about 1.5 inch back from the front sight, or where the barrel meets the top of the slide. It is very minute peeing and I'm hoping it is part of the break in.

waldo1324

Bearcat
jhearne--
yah you are definitely right. another recall would destroy any profits and im sure its a part of the break in process. and BTW-- my first cleaning / diconnect removal went off without a hitch-- it was nice to get to know the guts of that beast and it makes me want to do more to it! my next task is going to be trigger polishing.

snakespit

Bearcat
Metal deformation is not the same as breaking in. Gritty to smooth is breaking in. If parts are changing shape it's because tolerances are off or it's a bad design Period. You will hear arguments on both sides of that coin.
cbarguing20ju.gif

You talking to me?
smack.gif

Luv2reload

Bearcat
snakespit":36yodi7c said:
Metal deformation is not the same as breaking in. Gritty to smooth is breaking in. If parts are changing shape it's because tolerances are off or it's a bad design Period. You will hear arguments on both sides of that coin.
cbarguing20ju.gif

You talking to me?
smack.gif

Snake, agreed !00%. The fact that the peening took place at all on the SR9 is absurd. These are tolerance issues and should have been corrected before any unit was shipped to end users.

L2R

Luv2reload

Bearcat
snakespit":37i6vu4u said:
thanks reload. I thought i would be blasted for that remark 8)

Snake,

:wink:

It needs to be said. I remember back a year or so ago when Ruger's CEO wanted feedback via the Ruger website.

I wrote that I would not purchase another Ruger product until a QC department was brought back into the picture. That I was tired of sending a new weapon back to the factory to repair something that NEVER should have left the factory. And that I would expect to pay more for a weapon having gone through the QC process...

Meanwhile - look at all of the recalls.

My last Ruger purchase was a 1976 Blackhawk LNIB. It is a superb piece.

And, BTW, I don't care that "every other" gun manufacturer has "problems" too. Clean up your act, or get out of business, and stop putting crap into the markerplace.

But, you know that if folks keep putting up with it, they won't change.

L2R