Hey SR9c folks - are you finding any peening problems?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

writwing

Single-Sixer
Luv2reload":2osr7khs said:
snakespit":2osr7khs said:
thanks reload. I thought i would be blasted for that remark 8)

Snake,

:wink:

It needs to be said. I remember back a year or so ago when Ruger's CEO wanted feedback via the Ruger website.

I wrote that I would not purchase another Ruger product until a QC department was brought back into the picture. That I was tired of sending a new weapon back to the factory to repair something that NEVER should have left the factory. And that I would expect to pay more for a weapon having gone through the QC process...

Meanwhile - look at all of the recalls.

My last Ruger purchase was a 1976 Blackhawk LNIB. It is a superb piece.

And, BTW, I don't care that "every other" gun manufacturer has "problems" too. Clean up your act, or get out of business, and stop putting crap into the markerplace.

But, you know that if folks keep putting up with it, they won't change.

L2R

Can you please name a large scale gun manufacturer (or car manufactuer) that hasnt had a recall or as Glock likes to call it an update?

Heck, Ford screwed up the lug nuts on their F-150s a few years ago.

snakespit

Bearcat
There is nothing wrong with a recall. No body is perfect. But fix the dam thing. And don't take 5 trips to the factory to do it. Don't roll out new model within the same platform if it too is going to have problems. Look at Toyota. They don't even know if it is mechanical or electrical. You can bet your ass that I would not buy a Toyota. I get nervous when one is even behind me too, is the Toyota behind me with the jerk on his cell phone going to suddenly accelerate into me.

Luv2reload

Bearcat
snakespit":2k00tx6f said:
There is nothing wrong with a recall. No body is perfect. But fix the dam thing. And don't take 5 trips to the factory to do it. Don't roll out new model within the same platform if it too is going to have problems. Look at Toyota. They don't even know if it is mechanical or electrical. You can bet your ass that I would not buy a Toyota. I get nervous when one is even behind me too, is the Toyota behind me with the jerk on his cell phone going to suddenly accelerate into me.

Snake,

Exaxctly correct!

An occasional error, that's one thing - but multiple blunders on many releases is quite another. Since the P97 there seems to be a recall on every new model.

With no QC this is not a surprise. I just won't be a part of it until Ruger addresses the QC issue.

L2R

Bracsim

Bearcat
Well if we talk about recalls.......... I`m glad TOYOTA does not build firearms hahahahahhahaaaaaa.

writwing

Single-Sixer
snakespit":3csesr9u said:

So you have sent your SR back to Ruger 5 times? Do you know how many times this has happened to others? Do you know that the compact is going to have to same problems? How do you know this? If you dont like Ruger, why are you on this site complaining about a gun you have no interest in buying? Have you ever visited Glock talk? Have you seen the number of issues with Glocks?

What is the rate and percentage of Toyotas experiencing the acceleration problems? What are you chances of being hit by a vehicle experiencing this problem?

Just curious if you have made an intelligent decision or simply ranting.

snakespit

Bearcat
First off I Love both my Rugers. I plan to buy two more sooner or latter.

Second I don't have an SR9 or an SR9c Hell I have never even held one.

I do know they have a problem with this gun. The recall is not made up. One has to look no further than rugers web site to see there is a recall. If it has been fixed why is it still on there home page? But this talk about breaking in or filling is a joke. Piston rings break in. New shoes break in. Triggers can go from ruff to smooth. You should not have to file off a chunk of metal because is has deformed.

And I belive 19 or so people have died because of the toyota problem. And what's worse they don't even know what is really wrong with them.

some thing tell's me you have an SR9 and drive a Camry :roll:

snakespit

Bearcat
I call them like I see them. :)

If you are so smart then tell me what is wrong with the peeners

peeners :lol: his gun is a peener!

Luv2reload

Bearcat
Cheesewhiz":1nun0m7t said:
snakespit":1nun0m7t said:
I don't have an SR9 or an SR9c Hell I have never even held one.

...and that my friends is what makes Snakespit an SR9 expert.

Cheese, I don't think Snake was looking to be an "expert." He was, like me, trying to get a grip on why Ruger would produce guns w/o a QC process and have recalls on each model since the P97. And, in a very real sense, use the customer base as quality control...

L2R

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
L2R, if you look at just about every SR9 post recently, no matter the subject, you'll find Snakespit trolling it.
There are a lot of SR9 owners that have no problems with their guns and for some reason he feels the need to tell them they are wrong and their gun sucks.
My SR9 has a ton of rounds thru it and it has never had one issue at all in function, not one, not ever, so does my SR9 suck?
There are many SR9 owners that are happy with their choice but I guess Snakespit isn't.

Luv2reload

Bearcat
Cheesewhiz":1q79ygak said:
L2R, if you look at just about every SR9 post recently, no matter the subject, you'll find Snakespit trolling it.
There are a lot of SR9 owners that have no problems with their guns and for some reason he feels the need to tell them they are wrong and their gun sucks.
My SR9 has a ton of rounds thru it and it has never had one issue at all in function, not one, not ever, so does my SR9 suck?
There are many SR9 owners that are happy with their choice but I guess Snakespit isn't.

I haven't spent too much time here lately...

L2R

snakespit

Bearcat
I am not trolling. I just can't stand the fact that there is a design flaw with the SR9 and nobody seems to think it is a big deal. You just file it off or send it in. If there were able to say "here is the problem and this is how we are going to fix it". But I have not seen any definitive answer to the problem. Now I have seen it mentioned that the ears are starting to go bad on the barrels. Sounds like they fixed the peening problem just to create another one. How sloppy is the barrel fit in the SR9. People should not accept this from Ruger.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
snakespit":g4b1sxyi said:
I am not trolling. I just can't stand the fact that there is a design flaw with the SR9 and nobody seems to think it is a big deal. You just file it off or send it in. If there were able to say "here is the problem and this is how we are going to fix it". But I have not seen any definitive answer to the problem. Now I have seen it mentioned that the ears are starting to go bad on the barrels. Sounds like they fixed the peening problem just to create another one. How sloppy is the barrel fit in the SR9. People should not accept this from Ruger.

Why do you care? You don't have one and I guess you don't want one, and all your supposed knowledge is based on the internet. ......and that makes your posts pointless and that also makes you a freakin' troll.

snakespit

Bearcat
Cheesewhiz":3ljd791t said:
snakespit":3ljd791t said:

Why do you care? You don't have one and I guess you don't want one, and all your supposed knowledge is based on the internet. ......and that makes your posts pointless and that also makes you a freakin' troll.

You are just upset because I am right :oops:

Your telling me there is nothing wrong with the SR9 platform

Al James

Hunter
Luv2reload":22pnsgxv said:
Cheesewhiz":22pnsgxv said:
snakespit":22pnsgxv said:
I don't have an SR9 or an SR9c Hell I have never even held one.

...and that my friends is what makes Snakespit an SR9 expert.

Cheese, I don't think Snake was looking to be an "expert." He was, like me, trying to get a grip on why Ruger would produce guns w/o a QC process and have recalls on each model since the P97. And, in a very real sense, use the customer base as quality control...

L2R

Good old fashioned heated debate, gotta love it. The reason for the relaxed QC is because Bill Ruger is gone to happy hunting camp. He was the king of testing things to the limit and then testing them again prior to intro. Anyone remember the XGI? Build a gun, advertise it, then after all is said and done dont produce it because of design issues.

Hate to call BS on you Snakespit, but to even post on a gun that you have never touched is misguided to put it nicely. The open Recall is for the trigger mechanism. It is important to note there were no injuries from AD's coming from SR9's due to the trigger system and it was a voluntary Recall. Same with the LCP. To bash Ruger for voluntarily recalling products is misguided also. Did you know that Ruger still has open Recalls on 3 screw single sixes, P85 pistols, and Blackhawks[IIRC] also.

If you were to handle a Ruger SR9 with your thinking cap on you would notice a few things that may contribute to the SR9's occasional as you call "peener". There is very little rearward movement of the slide before the barrel begins to unlock and lower into the frame to allow cycling. It also has a low bore axis which means that the barrel moves lower into the frame less than say a P95. The front of the barrel hood has a single 90 degree angle on the front of the hood also instead of the two 90 degree smaller steps used on the P95. The barrel fit is tighter on an SR9 than that on a P95. Usually tighter is more accurate and the SR9 has gained a reputation as an accurate platform. Probably more so than "looser" P series. I have seen guns with metal worn in different areas that were not designed or machined that way. Glocks, Sigs, 1911's of all makes and models. The 9mm P series took years of engineering and production to result in the P95. The P series evolved. Just like other great designs. The P95 IMO is a fine weapon. Give the SR9 some time and I'm sure it will gain a reputation for being the good quality, reliable, accurate and affordable pistol that it is. Were first Gen Glocks the best? And yes, I do own a peen free SR9 in the SN#22,xxx range that has around 1500 flawless rounds through it.

Your thoughts on the Toyota drama fall right inline with your gun wisdom. 19 deaths linked to Toyotas? Maybe 19? Maybe 50? In 2008 13,846 people were killed by drunk drivers of all types of vehicles. There were a total of 37,261 total traffic related deaths in all vehicle brands during the same year. So I think I would be more worried about driving within a 15 mile radius of any place that sells alcohol or even driving anywhere at all than I would be of a Toyota. And no I dont own a Toyota. Bahhhhhahhh. :wink:

snakespit

Bearcat
Yeah I must be crazy to think that there is something wrong with the SR9. I guess all the pictures of bad barrels and the recall was something I just made up.

The SR9 is perfect.

With that I am done on the topic 8)