Hey flatgate they found your missing guns

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
Sounds like a thief got cold feet & dumped the guns. So sad. As a diver I've recovered "stolen" guns due to info about where they were dumped. (All legal & returned to the owners or to the police.)

flatgate

Hawkeye
:D

I sure as heck know better than to toss my Black Powder guns in a lake!!
301689907.jpg

322638196.jpg

164479801.jpg

:)

flatgate

martyj

Blackhawk
contender":3klu0e55 said:
Sounds like a thief got cold feet & dumped the guns. So sad. As a diver I've recovered "stolen" guns due to info about where they were dumped. (All legal & returned to the owners or to the police.)
What condition are they in when you find them? Just wondering if rust will occur with no air getting to the surface of the gun.

contender

Ruger Guru
Yep, guns do rust, (sometimes very quickly) underwater. I have as yet to pull one that did NOT have rust somewhere. Even a deer rifle for a friend that had only been under for 2 days.
Still, if recovered withing a few weeks of being submerged, most can be restored fairly easily.
Something to think about. If you drop a gun in water, and when it's recovered, (even if immediately) the best thing you can do is remove any wood, and submerge it in a vat full of kerosene. Let it sit a while, then a complete detailed stripping & cleaning is in order.
Tiny springs & ball bearings seem to get overlooked in cleaning and the immersion in K-1 is a way to help these little parts.

TDF

Single-Sixer
martyj":12y1wvkf said:
What condition are they in when you find them? Just wondering if rust will occur with no air getting to the surface of the gun.

Rust is caused by oxygen being exposed to metal. Hence the term oxidation. There's oxygen in most water. Otherwise the fish would suffocate.

TDF

For us,the longest time period of "guns in the water..." and still be salvageble?, we redid 5 guns for an 'estate', that were 'stolen, and dumped', that were in the Grand River, here in Ohio , for a bit over 3- 4 weeks..they came out pretty decent too.....then there are those that were in fires , that were "junk' in a matter of hours, even down in a basement....oh well

BearStopper

Blackhawk
flatgate":3052uka7 said:
:D

I sure as heck know better than to toss my Black Powder guns in a lake!!
301689907.jpg

322638196.jpg

164479801.jpg

:)

flatgate
First time I have seen a pic of an Old Army with the brass grip frame and I think this is where it is truly in its element. Looks right at home on there whereas the cartridge guns don't quite look right to me with the brass. However, a custom revolver with color case hardened frame, blue barrel and ERH and a brass gripframe sounds appealing to me and in a Flat Top to boot! I have got all the components, now do I have the guts to go for it????

flatgate

Hawkeye
BearStopper":1uj5w5p5 said:
First time I have seen a pic of an Old Army with the brass grip frame and I think this is where it is truly in its element. Looks right at home on there whereas the cartridge guns don't quite look right to me with the brass. However, a custom revolver with color case hardened frame, blue barrel and ERH and a brass gripframe sounds appealing to me and in a Flat Top to boot! I have got all the components, now do I have the guts to go for it????

Ruger shipped quite a few of those Old Armys fitted with their brass grip frames. Here's my second one.
63305197.jpg

Flattop with a brass grip frame? OK!
112875649.jpg

Oh, and the other gun is an Old Model .45. The grip frames are "aftermarket" parts.

flatgate

BC Mike

Single-Sixer
flatgate":29sbnv1t said:
BearStopper":29sbnv1t said:

Ruger shipped quite a few of those Old Armys fitted with their brass grip frames. Here's my second one.
63305197.jpg

Flattop with a brass grip frame? OK!
112875649.jpg

Oh, and the other gun is an Old Model .45. The grip frames are "aftermarket" parts.

flatgate

The flat top and the .45 look fabulous, especially the stocks - wow!

martyj

Blackhawk
Teach me to give flatgate crap. The wife tipped the canoe over and guess whose glock 22 got submerged and full of sandy river water. The crossbreed holster didn't dry out for 3 days.
Good thing its platic

Latest posts