Herter's #3 press question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

idaho

Bearcat
Does anyone know where I could find a shell holder converter for an old Herter's #3 cast iron press so I can use RCBS shell holders? I was told by a guy at a gun show that they exist. He said he has the same press and also has the converter. He told me that he thought he bought it at Cabela's years back...but I called Cabela's and they didn't have anything like that and didn't know where to send me looking. Any clues or tips are appreciated.

catfish621

Single-Sixer
Did a quick check on Ebay. You can still find shellholders for the Herters press. We modified ones we had with a dremel tool for the new short mags.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
idaho":goes6lnz said:
Does anyone know where I could find a shell holder converter for an old Herter's #3 cast iron press so I can use RCBS shell holders? I was told by a guy at a gun show that they exist.

Hi,

The good folks at C-H make what I think you want. Check www.ch4d.com and click on the link for "presses" to find 'em.

They make two styles. One's for the more common set screw shellholder, the other's for the threaded shellholder on the outside chance you have one of those presses (they say only about 5% of the presses used this style and advise you to look carefully to see which you have.)

They also have a "universal" ram that's about the same price as the more common type convertor. Might be worth a call to ask if you can just install a new ram and not fool w/ the convertor!

Rick C