Herrett Grips on a GP-100 (Picture Request)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Single-Sixer
I'm thinking about having some Herretts stocks made up for my GP-100 and wanted to see some first.

Mainly I'm interested in the Ropers or the Jordans. Can anybody help me out?

Thanks.

CraigC

Hawkeye
I might have a picture if Herrett's had ever contacted me to send them my Super Redhawk. I got on their waiting list almost a year ago and was supposed to hear back in March. Unfortunately, you have to send them your gun and in addition to all the shipping it also incurs an extra fitting charge. In all, it was gonna be over $300 including shipping. I'm glad they didn't call because when the time came to send it to them, I had already decided not to.

wsnyder0

Bearcat
I contacted Herrett's looking for a GP-100 recently. They said the Roper won't fit. They suggested the Jordan Trooper.

Also they require the gun for fitting plus a $70 return shipping fee plus a $50 custom fitting fee. They priced themselves out of my range.

I just ordered some grips from kellyarms.com

RugerDA.jpg

They look the most similar to the original grip insert type. I plan to refinish them for a more natural wood feel.

Snake45

Hawkeye
wsnyder0":1ledllff said:
they require the gun for fitting plus a $70 return shipping fee plus a $50 custom fitting fee.
That's absolutely ridiculous. Sounds like they only want the "custom" top end of the market.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Snake45":2dd3m69d said:
wsnyder0":2dd3m69d said:
they require the gun for fitting plus a $70 return shipping fee plus a $50 custom fitting fee.
That's absolutely ridiculous. Sounds like they only want the "custom" top end of the market.
It's because of Ruger's grip stud design, rather than a traditional grip frame. The grips have to be glass bedded to the stud for proper fit. The same grips that will cost you about $120 in fancy walnut for a S&W will cost about $300 for the GP or SRH once shipping and fitting is factored in.

I find it interesting that they said the Roper "won't fit". Because the Ruger's stud is small enough that any design could be fitted and the Roper is exactly what I got on the waiting list for.

Snake45

Hawkeye
CraigC":3w2oya6c said:
The grips have to be glass bedded to the stud for proper fit.
How does Ruger fit grips to the thing? I'll bet they don't glass bed them.

They ought to sell a "semi-inletted" or "semi-fit" grip set that the consumer can finish himself and save $120.

Single-Sixer
Well, I'm not in the least unhappy with the factory grips with some fancy inserts so I think I'll just stick with them. I was just thinking the old girl deserved a treat, sounds like she'll be getting a few more sets of inserts and maybe a new front sight. Thanks for passing on the information.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Snake45":9imm4bs8 said:
How does Ruger fit grips to the thing? I'll bet they don't glass bed them.
Oh please, Ruger hasn't put much effort in fitting grips to their guns in a long time. Herrett's does it right and I'm sure if they could do a proper job without receiving the gun, they would. Anybody doing a set of proper custom grips needs your gun or grip frame for fitting. S&W's just usually get a pass on the extra effort. If you don't really want custom grips, Hogue is more than willing to take your money. :roll:

mohavesam

Hawkeye
-- "$70 dollars return shipping fee"--

US dollars??? Ridiculous. Sounds like someone needs to take a course in marketing and customer service.

CraigC

Hawkeye
mohavesam":u7i9xjes said:
-- "$70 dollars return shipping fee"--

US dollars??? Ridiculous. Sounds like someone needs to take a course in marketing and customer service.
You can't blame Herrett's for UPS and FedEx shipping policies. Get a clue. :roll:

Snake45

Hawkeye
hittman":1t3t49rl said:
Of course lots of teenagers put $5,000 wheels on a $500 car too.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

And somewhere, somebody has a hand-engraved, gold-plated Glock!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

CraigC

Hawkeye
hittman":100yaepw said:
$218.00 total for stocks on a $400.00 gun.
Factor in shipping the gun to them as well and you're at nearly $300, which is what I stated early on. It is what it is and you can't expect them to go in the hole for something that takes more effort and labor than a comparable S&W. Even considering the added shipping costs, it's comparable to other true custom double action stocks. Keith Brown's high grade walnut for S&W's can easily run well over $300, as does BluMagnum.

The cost of the gun is irrelevant. I just put a set of $210 fancy walnut grips from CLC on my $200 Single Six.

I have to warn you, if you think a set of $20 rubber grips is comfortable, stay away from Herrett's! You'll find out what comfort really means and nothing else will do.

Snake45

Hawkeye
CraigC":3u7ix9nu said:
I have to warn you, if you think a set of $20 rubber grips is comfortable, stay away from Herrett's! You'll find out what comfort really means and nothing else will do.
That's a matter of taste (and feel), of course. I have several sets of Herrett's for S&Ws and Colts and I don't find them especially more comfortable than some other stocks that I own. They're okay but nothing special. (I have yet to find anything I like any better on a S&W K-frame square-butt than the factory Target stocks.) But if you like them, good for you!

They are pretty nice looking, though. :wink: