Here's one for the older Veterans

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mobuck

Hawkeye
Apparently, my Niece cleaned out Mom's house before selling it a while back. I'm sure her family sorted out all the 'good stuff' (Mom had some fairly expensive jewelry that sort of disappeared) before boxing up some of the cheap stuff, some papers, and some of Dad's military related keepsakes.
One of the items was a new $1 bill with names of his close unit buddies. I recognized a few names and had even met some of those men long ago. Since my Son in Law is current military, he and Daughter are going to research archives and see if they can find complete names since some of the handwriting is nearly illegible.
I have to say that handling those pieces of paper with Dad's handwriting, Mom's jewelry, and even insignificant things like bank receipts from my Grandad's paychecks from 1930's tightened my throat a little.

Snake45

Hawkeye
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_snorter#:~:text=A%20short%20snorter%20is%20a,the%20military%20and%20commercial%20aviation.&text=Friends%20would%20take%20the%20local,keepsake%20of%20your%20buddy's%20signatures%22.

bobski

Hunter
im in the process of doing it as we speak.
matter of fact, I just found letters from boot camp that I sent mom and dad.
since I have no kids.....what do I do with them? thus my dilemma with ALL THIS stuff im dealing with.
first it was room after room after room.
now its box after box after box...........

Merle1948

Buckeye
Mobuck said:
Apparently, my Niece cleaned out Mom's house before selling it a while back. I'm sure her family sorted out all the 'good stuff' (Mom had some fairly expensive jewelry that sort of disappeared) before boxing up some of the cheap stuff, some papers, and some of Dad's military related keepsakes.
One of the items was a new $1 bill with names of his close unit buddies. I recognized a few names and had even met some of those men long ago. Since my Son in Law is current military, he and Daughter are going to research archives and see if they can find complete names since some of the handwriting is nearly illegible.
I have to say that handling those pieces of paper with Dad's handwriting, Mom's jewelry, and even insignificant things like bank receipts from my Grandad's paychecks from 1930's tightened my throat a little.

yes it does..... :(

A.J.

Single-Sixer
I only have a few things from my deceased Dad, Grandfather and Great Grandfather.

Dad: I have his .38 revolver. My wife absolutely adored my Dad and the .38 became hers!

Grandfather: I have his old pool cue. It's actually nothing special, but he really liked it, so I do too.

Great Grandfather: Toolbox with tools. Years ago, I carefully restored the old wooden toolbox and now use it for my drum hardware and cables. The tools are in another box now. My favorites are some pipe wrenches that had been heavily used. The backs of them are actually rounded like he was using them as hammers!

Our "adopted" Grandfather: The house we are living in now used to belong to an old WWII Navy veteran. He died years before we bought the place but his presence is felt. The family (most of whom couldn't care less about the old gentleman) left most of his WWII stuff and photos behind. We've carefully preserved all of "Bernie's" artifacts.

We've learned a lot about this guy just by fixing stuff around the house that he tried to fix and just rigged it. He wasn't very handy but was a huge naturalist, was tight with some local Indian tribes and even preserved an old burial mound on the property.

Fast forward to August 2021. Huge storms knocked over dozens of 150 year old trees all around our house. Nothing hit the house. The little shed where our outdoor cats lived was missed from being crushed literally by inches!

Did "Grampa Bernie" have something to do with that? Veteran ties are strong. Really strong.