Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sheep's foot roller . . .

Attachments

• 1664580728330.png
    1664580728330.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 13

Snake45

Hawkeye
ROAD ROLLERS are still called "steam rollers" by most people, even if the use of steam is just a distant memory for old timers.
About 30 years ago I worked at Ingersoll Rand writing operator manuals for the things. The correct designation was "double drum vibratory compactor." I think we had single-drum ones, too, but I never worked on any documentation for those.

This thread represents RugerForum at its best, in my humble opinion at least.

I always thought they were called steam rollers also. Probably from the Bugs Bunny Road Runner Show. Didn’t Wylie E use an ACME steam roller to flatten Road Runner?

caryc

Hawkeye
About 30 years ago I worked at Ingersoll Rand writing operator manuals for the things. The correct designation was "double drum vibratory compactor." I think we had single-drum ones, too, but I never worked on any documentation for those.
What is "vibratory" about a steam roller as many people call it? Are you talking about something else?

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Speaking of steam powered machines, I've seen old films of work on the Panama Canal, and all the shovels were puffing smoke and steam vapor.

Y'all are aware, of course, that steam is an invisible gas, and that the white "smoke" seen is water vapor?

Many years ago I got into a project involving boiler feedwater and learned right fast that there is more, a lot more, to making steam than just boiling water! I had to do a crash course in order to "talk the talk."

Bob Wright

Snake45

Hawkeye
Steam roller cones off the tongue easier than "double drum vibratory compactor."! Just saying.
gramps
At the factory they were called DDs, or DD and the particular model number (32, 60, 65, 90, 91, etc.).

A construction roller is also known as a road roller, compaction roller, or steam roller. Although these machines are not powered by steam anymore, they used to be and in some cases, the name stuck.

How fast does a road roller go?

A maximum frequency of 2,400 vibrations per minute (vpm) can be achieved for static steel-wheel rollers and vibratory rollers. Moreover, they can travel at speeds of around 22 miles per hour.

caryc

Hawkeye
A construction roller is also known as a road roller, compaction roller, or steam roller. Although these machines are not powered by steam anymore, they used to be and in some cases, the name stuck.

How fast does a road roller go?

A maximum frequency of 2,400 vibrations per minute (vpm) can be achieved for static steel-wheel rollers and vibratory rollers. Moreover, they can travel at speeds of around 22 miles per hour.
I spent a two week cruise on the Hornet. When I checked in, they mistakenly put me in with the deck apes in First Division, I think that what they called it. Believe it or not, being the new guy, I got stuck on a helm watch. Yep, this scared 17 year old kid was driving an aircraft carrier, What made matters even worse was that flight ops were going on at the time. One couldn't let that compass or whatever it was called vary by so many degrees. The captain was in a small room on the other side of the helm where I was. Luckily they had an experienced member of the actual crew there with me to instruct me. But at least I can say "I drove an aircraft carrier". The also had a "GQ" drill and I got lost and spent the time in some little space. I didn't know where the heck I was.
Manning that helm was not a simple task. When that compass started to go off, I tended to over correct and made matters worse, then over corrected the other way. I finally got used to it after an hour or so with that crew members help. . They finally got me put in where I belonged...below decks in "A" division.

Last edited:

eveled

Hunter
I beg to differ. From the muppet movie Kermit was “Amost gone with the schwinn”
399C9F03-4DF0-4481-B880-F4797383C265.jpeg