Here's an interesting fact

Help Support Ruger Forum:

caryc

Hawkeye
Take a piece of paper. It can be any size you want. You can not fold it in half seven times. No matter how big the piece of paper is, the most you can fold it in half is six times.

I know you guys are going to have to try this to prove me a liar but it won't work. Good luck. ;)

noahmercy

Single-Sixer
I have a hydraulic press, and I'm not afraid to use it...😉

But yeah, unless you can do what Mythbusters did and use a piece of paper the size of a football field, plus heavy equipment, it ain't happenin'!

Had to try it, took a sheet off my counter pad its 16x20, no problem folding seven times. It's now about 2x 1.5 and a little over a half in thick.

caryc

Hawkeye
Had to try it, took a sheet off my counter pad its 16x20, no problem folding seven times. It's now about 2x 1.5 and a little over a half in thick.
OK, maybe I remembered it wrong and one can't fold it more than 7 times. I just tried it with a 16 x 20 myself. No machines involved.

OK, maybe I remembered it wrong and one can't fold it more than 7 times. I just tried it with a 16 x 20 myself. No machines involved.
I couldn't get 8 folds with just my hands. I'm sure if I went to the press break it would go a few more but would tear the paper.

I just tried a single square sheet of toilet tissue . . . managed six folds, but that's it. And the outer layer right at the fold was starting to tear. Proves nothing but I had to try it. :D

caryc

Hawkeye
I just tried a single square sheet of toilet tissue . . . managed six folds, but that's it. And the outer layer right at the fold was starting to tear. Proves nothing but I had to try it. :D
I think the thing was meant to try it with a square anyway. But it also works with a rectangle. Sheryl Crow would be proud of you.

Snake45

Hawkeye
A few years ago, when she was still famous, Sheryl Crow somewhat famously said that you should only use "one square" of toilet paper.

To which some comedian (Dennis Miller, maybe?) replied, "One square? I use three for a booger!" :LOL:

ammo dave

Bearcat
The Mythbusters tried this and were ablle to make 11 folds. The paper sheet they started with filled an aircraft hangar and a “steamroller” was used for the last couple of folds. The final pile of paper was abot the size ofa standard mattress.

Last edited:

caryc

Hawkeye
The Mythbusters tried this and were ablle to make 11 folds. The paper sheet they started with filled an aircraft hangar and a “steamroller” was used for the last couple of folds.
Well, I'm sorry, I didn't have an aircraft hanger or a steam roller or a piece of paper that big. Where did they get that sheet of paper?

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
A few years ago, when she was still famous, Sheryl Crow somewhat famously said that you should only use "one square" of toilet paper.

To which some comedian (Dennis Miller, maybe?) replied, "One square? I use three for a booger!" :LOL:

That works for women only.

caryc

Hawkeye
A "steam roller?" where did thy find an operating steam roller?

Bob Wright
Obviously a gentleman who is up in his years as you and I are. That was the name used in our heydays. What would one call them now? Maybe a compactor? Then they also now have those machines which have maybe 6 tires across and maybe four or five rows of them for compacting. What the heck are those called? We first saw one of those when they were working on our route to work. My Dad said "That thing must be for the foreman of the job. He needed to look important too so they gave him that thing with all the wheels." Well, all the other guys were driving those big impressive looking machines.

eveled

Hunter
Not driven by steam, But they still steam.

They spray water onto the roller to stop the asphalt from sticking. The hot asphalt turns it to steam. I think that's why the name stuck

Steam bucket, steam shovel, etc all went away.

Last edited: