Here hold my beer

Help Support Ruger Forum:

You play stupid games .. Sadly one person got first prize
Screenshot_20240611-092137~2.png

gnappi

Blackhawk
The survivor is being charged with murder... sounds more like assisted suicide to me :)

If that were the charge brought forward here in Florida the shooter would be charged with manslaughter a second degree felony. A jury might cut him loose.

Wonder where they got the body armor from. And I guess one of them wasn't very good shot because he missed the body armor and got the kid.

Body armor is generally weakened by bullet impact(s). The person with the firearm may have been a good shot, and hit the same place twice, with the second bullet penetrating. Who knows (other than 'stupid experiment')?

contender

Ruger Guru
Stupidity,, pure & simple.

"If that were the charge brought forward here in Florida the shooter would be charged with manslaughter a second degree felony. A jury might cut him loose."

This was in Florida,, so who knows what may happen???

Many may recall my posting about my good friend,, a NCHP officer shot point blank with a .44 mag last July. Having him discuss a lot of the details with me,, was enlightening. But I can NEVER recall ever even considering a real testing of a vest etc by my often wild & crazy juvenile brain. I did a lot of crazy stuff, and all as a kid. (I too was 16 & felt I was bullet-proof or invincible.) But some things go way beyond common sense.

Tyrone, I suspect your friend retired/hung that vest up as a (something?) and got a new vest to wear.

You really have to wonder what those kids were (not) thinking? I wonder what/how the stories differ from the two when they are asked (separately) what happened and what led up to this "experiment".

dstegjas

Single-Sixer
A little chlorine in the gene pool is not a bad idea from time to time. Hopefully the other two won't be able to reproduce after being in prison for a while.

MHtractorguy

Blackhawk
In 1985, the USMC told me to turn in my big, heavy old Vietnam-era plate carrying BULLETPROOF vest, and take one of the then new vests that were not meant to save me from bullets, just fragments of shrapnel.
I took one home, wrapped it around a tree stump.(tree was already dead) and shot it from about 10 feet with a 2 1/2 357 mag Charter Arms Bulldog Tracker. Bullet went right through the back of that vest. I took it back to supply and kept my heavy one for another year.
Nobody was harmed during this test.

BearBiologist

Hunter
The survivor is being charged with murder... sounds more like assisted suicide to me :)

If that were the charge brought forward here in Florida the shooter would be charged with manslaughter a second degree felony. A jury might cut him loose.
It IS in Florida!

In 1985, the USMC told me to turn in my big, heavy old Vietnam-era plate carrying BULLETPROOF vest, and take one of the then new vests that were not meant to save me from bullets, just fragments of shrapnel.
I took one home, wrapped it around a tree stump.(tree was already dead) and shot it from about 10 feet with a 2 1/2 357 mag Charter Arms Bulldog Tracker. Bullet went right through the back of that vest. I took it back to supply and kept my heavy one for another year.
Nobody was harmed during this test.
Brings to mind when my son was in Explorers with the SO. They gave the kids old vests to do ride along. I wonder how good they were. He taught gun safety and shooting to the Jr Explorers (middle school).

Last edited:

contender

Ruger Guru
"Tyrone, I suspect your friend retired/hung that vest up as a (something?) and got a new vest to wear."

He will be getting the vest and the bullet once the state fully closes the entire case. Due to policy,, he's not back on the road yet. they want to wait until he's past the 1 year anniversary of his getting shot. And even then,, the doctors (head shrinks) have to clear him.

I worked on a machine that used Spectra thread to create fabric used in making bulletproof vests, helmets , etc. The threads are laid out parallel to each other and then another layer is laid out perpendicular to the first. The threads are all treated with an adhesive resin and they are heated to form a double cross ply layered (not woven) fabric so strong it has to be cut with a laser. A single thread is strong enough to take off a finger without breaking. Vest are built to ballistic caliber ratings, more layers higher rating, but with the higher rated version they become much heavier and stiffer therefore the user has to decide how much protection they are willing to wear. The company had a ballistic lab in the basement to test the vest. They could shoot a .44mag vest 6 times in the exact same spot and it wouldn't penetrate the vest but it is recommended vests be replaced after any hits in the field (maybe these clowns could get a job with the quality control department).

I worked on a machine that used Spectra thread to create fabric used in making bulletproof vests, helmets , etc. The threads are laid out parallel to each other and then another layer is laid out perpendicular to the first. The threads are all treated with an adhesive resin and they are heated to form a double cross ply layered (not woven) fabric so strong it has to be cut with a laser. A single thread is strong enough to take off a finger without breaking. Vest are built to ballistic caliber ratings, more layers higher rating, but with the higher rated version they become much heavier and stiffer therefore the user has to decide how much protection they are willing to wear. The company had a ballistic lab in the basement to test the vest. They could shoot a .44mag vest 6 times in the exact same spot and it wouldn't penetrate the vest but it is recommended vests be replaced after any hits in the field (maybe these clowns could get a job with the quality control department).
When does a steel impact plat to diffuse the pressure of a hit in the heart area come into play?

Latest posts