Herding chickens

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob's post about ;chickens reminded me of a 'chicken episode' many years ago. As an enlisted man and being on flight status I was required to accumulate a specific number of flight hours each month or not recieve my flight pay. A pilot (who shall remain un-named) and I were flying an AFTP (Additional Flight Training Period) in an OH-6A and noticed a chicken farm below us. "Lets make a low pass over it" was our agreed decision. Down we went at about 90 mph and leveled off at about 20 feet and across the chicken yard. One VERY LARGE group of chickens, feathers, dirt, grass, and anyones guess what else went from one end of this rather long yard to the other. Feathers everywhere! Why not get them back to where they were when we first saw them, was our next decision? Did a 180 and back across the chicken yard again with the same results. Chickens, feathers (lots of them), dirt, grass, and whatever everywhere. Left and when we returned to the flight facility the Operations Officer sent a runner with instructions that we were to report to him prior to leaving. Major Calhoun (the same officer that gave me my 'handle' here) said;"Fox Mike, where did you two go on your flight? I told him the route and that we landed and got a burger at a specific airport. He them asked if we buzzed a chicken farm? Of course I had no idea what he was speaking about. Next the pilot was grilled and told the same basic story. Neither of us ever spoke of that night till years later when we happened to meet, and laughed a LOT.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
As to the "whatever" a friend of mine has chickens and once remarked that they were never pestered by bugs. Then added, "But watch where you step, though."

Bob Wright

contender

Ruger Guru
Apparently,, buzzing such farms was more common than you'd think. One of my Flt Platoon aircraft & crew buzzed a turkey farm. It caused several to die. And,, the crew involved,, could not get away with it.
Apparently,, not only did the farmer get a partial tail number,, he also was able to put some buckshot in the Huey. Buckshot holes in a Huey at Ft. Hood was not a common thing.
The pilots involved got punished. And we were ALL given a set of coordinates to NOT fly over. It was the turkey farm.
It went along with the "no-fly" zone over the nude shoreline of Lake Travis.

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
The Mojave river had a few places known for “taking the sun”. On weekends we’d fly “training” hops to practice search procedures. Never a single complaint from the local citizens.

Sounds like you guys just didn’t choose the right targets.

Latest posts