Henry .22

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gunman42782

Hunter
Funny how time changes your mind sometimes. I used to work in a gun shop years ago, and sold 100s of the Henry .22, the H001, the plain Jane blue version. While always thinking it was a slick little gun, I never had the urge for one. Well, as is usually the case with me, once I got it on my mind I had to go out and buy one. The little lever gun is more fun than a barrel of monkeys! Have had several lever actions, and usually sell them because someone will offer me more money than it's worth, but this little sucker is going to hang around awhile. I find myself shooting more and more .22 LR these days, as replacing my centerfire stuff is not only ridiculous, but impossible to find primers without paying a hundred bucks a brick, which is way more expensive than 22s! Until the madness eases up a bit .22s are what I'm shooting for the most part. I probably have enough ammo loaded up to last me the rest of my life, but it still makes me crazy to think people are paying a hundred dollars for a brick of primers. Seems like it takes the #1 reason to reload your own ammo and beats it about the head and shoulders. Forgive an old man for rambling on. I will shut up now.

eveled

Hunter
I like my Marlins better, but I have the Henry youth lever and a Henry pump. They are great guns.

I won one at a NRA Banquet. Smooth operating but I didn’t care for the spray painted receiver and plastic innards, and found it a new home. I have a couple of Marlin 39 lever guns

Mauser9

Single-Sixer
Make some real beauties. Received the Henry catalog. awhile back. I like their receivers. Remind me of the 1873 Winchester.

Ethang

Blackhawk
It's not a Model 39 but it is a solid, fun little shooter. I have two that have several thousand rounds each through them and they have held up just fine. A great day is when my adult kids visit and we get out to the range with the Henry's, the Grandkids, and a brick or two of 22's.

kmoore

Buckeye
I have always liked the fit and finish of a Henry, hated the tube only loading on the center fires. Rimfire tube loading is okay with me. Since it's not a big game hunting or SD gun. I finally got a Golden Boy about 12 years ago. Took it apart at home and don't care for all the plastic parts either, but cleaned it up and shot it. The action is smooth. Tested short, long and LR ammo. I replaced the cheap rear sight with a Skinner, that was not cheap. Sighted it in on a bench at 25 yds and than shot A 5 shot group about the size of a half dollar with CCI mini mags. Shot it standing and it did okay. Haven't shot it since. I have 2 10-22s, one souped up, one stock. I don't shoot rimfires much and they are there if I feel the need. I recently went through my gun safe and took the Golden Boy and an AR10 to the local gun shop to sell. I just don't use them and if that's the case with a firearm I sell them. I may be buying a Henry 308 long range, I beleive they are called. I handled one at a shop and appears to be a fine rifle, trigger sucked as most do on many over the counter guns.

Fox Mike

Hawkeye
I too have one. While it won't compare with my 10/22 for accuracy it is relatively accurate and generally a fun gun.

tunnug

Single-Sixer
I bought a used one and last time I had it out I was hitting a pop can at around a hundred yards, open sights, totally happy with it.

Chief 101

Hunter
I have a blued one in 22 wm with 24" octagon barrel...shoots well but no way to install a Lyman peep. Other than that it should last a while and do the job it's here to do. BTW it does look good.

arcee

Bearcat
I own 2 Henry lever guns. The 357 case hardened carbine and the .410x with the synthetic stock. Love them both.

mk70ss

Bearcat
I have a full size .22 mag Henry. Well made, accurate rifle at a fair price

Joe Chartreuse

Bearcat
Funny how time changes your mind sometimes. I used to work in a gun shop years ago, and sold 100s of the Henry .22, the H001, the plain Jane blue version. While always thinking it was a slick little gun, I never had the urge for one. Well, as is usually the case with me, once I got it on my mind I had to go out and buy one. The little lever gun is more fun than a barrel of monkeys! Have had several lever actions, and usually sell them because someone will offer me more money than it's worth, but this little sucker is going to hang around awhile. I find myself shooting more and more .22 LR these days, as replacing my centerfire stuff is not only ridiculous, but impossible to find primers without paying a hundred bucks a brick, which is way more expensive than 22s! Until the madness eases up a bit .22s are what I'm shooting for the most part. I probably have enough ammo loaded up to last me the rest of my life, but it still makes me crazy to think people are paying a hundred dollars for a brick of primers. Seems like it takes the #1 reason to reload your own ammo and beats it about the head and shoulders. Forgive an old man for rambling on. I will shut up now.
I am in 100% agreement with ALL of the above. That Henry is a fun little plinker! I am also shooting mostly .22s these days and having a blast. I've also been experimenting with the different types of .22 LR out there. All, velocities from sub-sonic to hyper, lead, copper, whatever. Learning a lot of new things for me. Unfortunately the only .22 Magnum I own is a POS Bearman ( think re-labeled Cobra) Guardian derringer, and I rarely shoot with it. NOTE: I would never carry it loaded . Just my gut warning.

Last edited:

jbenedetto2

Bearcat
I have 2 Henry's.
A Golden Boy 22LR and an AR7 Survival

Attachments

• 20210721_150543.jpg
    20210721_150543.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 9
  • 20210602_203649.jpg
    20210602_203649.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 8

Silcott

Bearcat
I bought 2 Henry youth models at the same time. One for each of my boys. For the first few months they never shot them at paper. Just shot steel at the range. My younger son always seemed to shoot better than my older son. One day they decided to shoot some paper. My oldest couldn't hit anything. Let me see that. I couldn't hit a 2" bullseye at 25 yards. My younger son was picking of rocks on the bank with his. Same ammo. After paying more attention. The holes in the target looked odd. So we walked down to investigate. Every bullet passed through the target sideways. I spent a couple weeks trying about 30 different brands/types of 22LR ammo. Cleaned it several times. Nothing worked. Sent the gun back to Henry. Received it back this week, with a note saying that they replaced the barrel. I'm going to take it out tomorrow and see if it shoots better.

Latest posts