help with single six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

glocksrus

Bearcat
I spotted a single six flat gate serial #57012 at a shop today and have some questions. Did Ruger make a crome plated single six or was it done later? They want $340 for it, it seems in fair shape except someone narrowed the trigger guard for some reason. It has fixed sights( looks like a Vequero) Is it rare? No box. Thanks

ddd482

Single-Sixer
they did sell some chrome plated guns, but i do not believe a flatgate-
some one who knows more will be a long shortly

The "known" factory-chromed guns are in the 155XX-156XX range, and there were only like eight of them, made in 1955.

Your gun was likely made in 1957 as a blued gun.

Not so much "rare" as "unusual". Heckuva conversation starter.

:)

flatgate

Hawkeye
Not much of that Single-Six's original configuration left!!!

They ALL, from Dec. '53 until Dec. '72/Jan. '73 have at least a drift rear sight. So, if it looks like a Vaquero top strap.......

Ah, but, you may have stumbled upon a elaborate "custom" from the '50's or '60's. I'd just have to do some "leg work" and figure out the specifics.....

JMHO,

flatgate

PS There were a couple others shipped that were plated but none w/o a "standard" top strap configuration. Lots of we collectors have a plated Single-Six stuffed in the back of the safe...
45520175.jpg

glocksrus

Bearcat
The shop owner did say that it had been modified for quick draw. That was why they ground off part of the trigger guard. It didn't have a different barrel or cyl. they looked orginal.

chet15

Hawkeye
Might still be worth a call to the factory to see if it left the factory as a plated gun. You just never know.
Chet15

glocksrus

Bearcat
Called the factory and she said it shipped in 57 as a standard single six. So must be a later plating and mods. Still a interresting gun. I guess it's worth something as a oddball. Thanks for the help.

goodrich289

Single-Sixer
flatgate of Chet15;

Has anyone ever been able to have Ruger verify any other factory plated single sixes ( not including the NRA wheel guns and SC6's??

Bob

flatgate

Hawkeye
Jeff Munnel wrote an article in the RCA Journal many years ago that addressed that question. The answer is Not Very Many...... :roll:

flatgate

237991017.jpg

chet15

Hawkeye
Only one that I know of...a ninth chromed flatgate produced at the same time as the other 8 in the wheel. That's the only Single-Sixes that I know of besides the nickled Super Single-Sixes.
Then of course there are the chrome plated flattops and the one nickle plated 6-1/2" .357 flattop. Of these, only the nickle gun is known today.
Chet15

flatgate

Hawkeye
Shucks, I used to have a 10" .44 Flattop that was plated by Superior Plating Co., which is across the street from Ruger's Southport shops.......

:D

flatgate