Help with Ruger Charger build

Help Support Ruger Forum:

shooter04

Bearcat
I hope Im posting this in the right place.

My father in law had a stock for a Ruger charger 10-22. He painted it but never completed his project. Im interested in building up a charger myself using his stock (kinda in his honor). Im very keen to accomplish this mission myself - although I need some help to get me started.

I dont want to spend big money on bling, just parts that are economical yet make a solid and accurate gun. I plan to consult with a gunsmith but since he is so far away from where I live I thought Id first put out 3 important questions and see what comes out of the pool of wisdom.

1) What would you recommend as a basic parts list needed to complete the build - and being economical.

2) Do I have to buy each "nut and bolt" individually or can I purchase kits (e.g. reciever and trigger kits) to make the assembly quicker and simpler?

3) Can you recommend a respectable online seller where I can find those parts?

I know it might be a lot to ask but with all the knowledge here Im hoping for some help from you guys to get this good project going.

Thank you.

Do you have any other gun parts besides the stock? Check out Volquartsen and or Clark Custom Guns. They sell parts for the 10/22 Which is what the Charger is based upon. One area you need to save money for is a trigger group and barrel. They seem to be the most expensive.

Good luck, post some pictures. Did your father in law do a good paint job on the stock?

Your Budget? Accuracy seems to cost money in Ruger's 10/22. This doesn't mean you have to break the bank, because a brand new Charger would be solid and accurate. Again, it depends upon which parts you already have.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Do you have a Charger receiver on which to build? Because if you don't, you cannot legally use a rifle receiver but you can procure an aftermarket receiver and use it for either. It's a viable option and you can build a Charger with very, if any factory parts. The most economical I've found is the NoDak/Spud receiver that goes for $130 shipped. It has a much superior anodized hardcoat finish and is compatible with Marlin levergun scope mounts which utilize larger 8-40 screws. Bolts can be procured through KIDD or Rimfire Technologies and trigger groups can come from KIDD, Clark Custom, Volquartsen or Jard. Barrels can come from a myriad of source depending on your accuracy requirements and budget. I'd recommend doing a lot of reading at RimfireCentral.com before spending a nickel.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
As said above, you either have to use a Charger receiver or go with a brand new stripped one from another manufacturer and make sure your dealer papers it as a handgun.
Going with a Ruger one you'll have all the other action parts and trigger assembly. Going with a stripped one, you'll need to buy the bolt assembly and trigger assembly seperately.
There's a LOT of choices, more than what's mentioned above. As far as the "economical" route...it's sort of 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other.

Visit the Charger area on RimfireCentral. :)

shooter04

Bearcat
Thanks guys. I only have the stock and the will to do this. I basically have to buy all the other items (reciever, barrel, trigger group....etc). Money might slow me down, so I have to be economical. Im not gona build a show piece, just something reliable, accurate and fun.
I might even look for take-off parts from others. Any idea where to look?

Can you tell me where I can buy the NoDak/Spud reciever?

Also, can I find a quality 10-12" barrel with threaded end for less than 200$ ?

The stock was done in a beautiful reddish-brown color with the ruger logo imprinted. I will post pictures when done.

CraigC

Hawkeye
While there are some sources for factory 10/22 receivers, I have yet to see a factory Charger receiver so you'll probably need to plan on an aftermarket receiver to do it most economically. I'm out of town at present but have a Nodak/Spud receiver waiting when I return home.

http://www.nodakspud.com/NDS-22.htm

Double Maduro

Single-Sixer
If all you have is the stock, I would buy a Charger, swap stocks, shoot it and replace parts as the funds became available.

Welcome to the forum.

DM

Richbaker

Blackhawk
BlkHawk73":3emi3xvj said:
As said above, you either have to use a Charger receiver or go with a brand new stripped one from another manufacturer and make sure your dealer papers it as a handgun.
Going with a Ruger one you'll have all the other action parts and trigger assembly. Going with a stripped one, you'll need to buy the bolt assembly and trigger assembly seperately.
There's a LOT of choices, more than what's mentioned above. As far as the "economical" route...it's sort of 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other.

Visit the Charger area on RimfireCentral. :)

Recievers are transferred as "Other" these days... there is no such thing as a "pistol" stripped reciever. If your state requires registration, that is when you state it is a pistol. ATF doesn't "paper" guns...

CraigC

Hawkeye
It depends on where it comes from. There are some resellers of Ruger 10/22 factory receivers but they are factory "Carbine" receivers. It may, or may not have ever been assembled as a carbine but I'd sure as hell rather have my pistol assembled on a receiver stamped "Charger", rather than "10/22 Carbine", in case of run-in with the law.

Kanook

Buckeye
I was going to build my own till I found consecutive numbers at a show for $250 each $500 OTD. But I understand doing what you're about to do.