help with purchasing Ruger MKIII

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kdealaey

Bearcat
Does anyone have firsthand knowledge of the pistol? does it need a special diet of 22rl? Any pros/cons would be appreciated. thx Dan

AZ Outlaws

Bearcat
A very good plinker that shoots anything I load it with. The one downside is that until you do it enough times, it is an extremely difficult to reassemble.....

078fw.jpg

2fast4u

Single-Sixer
great gun, very accurate, mine likes Walmart federal .22 ammo 550rds for 15 bucks!!

i have the MARK III target model with the 6.88" barrel

DISASSEMBLE AND REASSEMBLY ARE NOT BAD AT ALL!!!
being 20 and having the only other guns i disassembled being a sr9 and p89 i would say i had very little experience

all you have to do is watch the video of the Ruger tech tips guy doing it. he does it and if you follow exactly what he says you will be done in no time at all
dont be scared to hit the pause button on the video ;)

BuckJM53

Single-Sixer
kdealaey ... Welcome to the forum and congrats on your decision to purchase a new MKIII. My MKIII512 bull barrel now has over 30,000 rounds through it and is still going strong (primarily shoot Federal Bulk 550 ammo)
MKIIIwNikon2x.jpg

Some people seem to have a problem with them... and others more with the lawyering items that were added.

I bought one about 3 years ago and have had no trouble with it. Yes, it's a 22 and will hiccup every so often... most of the time while shooting cheap bulk ammo... but I have found no fault with the gun and it will pretty much shoot any brand of 22... much better than the two other 22 semi-autos I have.

the take down is a chore but once you figure out the secret then you can be proud... as I've said before, there should be a diploma or certificate or something for this.

rugerfreak

Single-Sixer
The whole Ruger assembly/dis-assembly thing is overblown-----its not that hard and you don't even need tools other than something to pry up the lever to start with.

I guess I'm of the opinion if you can't take apart and put together your Ruger---you REALLY shouldn't be playing with guns in the first place.

jhearne

Buckeye
It's not that bad of a takedown process. Getting it back together again can be tricky if you overlook any of the steps. Once you find the step you overlooked, it's sickening how easy it could've been lol.

I have a Standard tapered barrel MKIII that I enjoy shooting. Though now I do want one of the MKIII 22/45 with the replaceable panels.

Josh

revhigh

Hawkeye
rugerfreak":368hyzgu said:
The whole Ruger assembly/dis-assembly thing is overblown-----its not that hard and you don't even need tools other than something to pry up the lever to start with.

You're right RF, I just bought a MKII 22/45 last weekend, and I disassembled it, all the while dreading the reassembly. I used the instructions in the owner's manual and it went back together without an issue. Really no big deal.

I've owned a MKII government model for 15 years or so, and really hated taking it apart. Now I'm not worried at all. I think the instructions in the current manuals are a lot better than in the much older manuals.

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
rugerfreak":1cu1ufrs said:

You're right RF, I just bought a MKII 22/45 last weekend, and I disassembled it, all the while dreading the reassembly. I used the instructions in the owner's manual and it went back together without an issue. Really no big deal.

I've owned a MKII government model for 15 years or so, and really hated taking it apart. Now I'm not worried at all. I think the instructions in the current manuals are a lot better than in the much older manuals, but I've never compared them to say for sure.

REV

keen one

Bearcat
I entered the MK III world last month. I needed to remove the mag disconnect and LCI as a matter of preference. With a VQ trigger/sear it's now on par with my MK II's. I also installed a filler piece in the LCI slot and am as happy as can be.

The MK III is a fine plinker with out any work. With the (trigger) mods noted above I'd pit it against more expensive target pieces all day long.