Help with mid frame lock

Help Support Ruger Forum:

msp2640

Single-Sixer
Gents - I know the collective knowledge here, can help me out. I have a anniversary 357 FT from a few years ago. I jumped at the chance to grab a very nice set of grips for it, on the forum here. The grips were not relieved for the lock on the spring strut inside the frame - my thought was to delete the lock by swapping out a longer strut and spring seat. I grabbed a SS (didn't have blued in stock) spring seat from Midway a few months ago and it's sat in the bag until earlier today. Take the grip frame off and immediately notice the spring seat is not long enough to span the gap from the front to the back of the frame. Took a measurement of the length of the seat and it's almost exactly 1/2" - it could use about another 1/8" to bridge the span. I guess my question(s) - did I wind up with a seat for a Single Six (if they are different)? / do the steel midframes use a different seat? I have a few other Blackhawks and SBHs, but they're all stored away currently, during some home renovations (or I would pull a set of grips to measure the part in one of them) - anyone have any idea? The grips fit perfectly on the frame, I'd just rather eliminate the lock, than clearance the back of the grips - Thanks, Bill in MA

NikA

Buckeye
The midframe grip frame with the lock requires a different spring seat to eliminate the lock. I believe folks are using the spring seat from the Ruger Bearcat. Search the forum, maybe in the smithing section, and you will find the info you seek.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
When the locks first came out, I sought solutions to eliminate the lock. First I made and sold longer titanium spring seats for $10. But soon discovered the Bearcat spring seat was the longest made by Ruger, (go figure, it's their smallest revolver). The Bearcat seat just barely bridges the gap in the grip frame, but I've never had one slip out becauseto the spring tension is so strong. And you don't have to dismount the spring from the strut to remove or install it in the gun.

Then for those that wanted to keep the lock but use custom grips w/o the hollow back for clearance of the lock, I tried sanding both sides of the lock on a belt sander. The new flat top and XR3 size grip frames are 1/16" narrower than all other model grip frames. So I sanded off 1/32" from each side of the lock and any grips will now fit. AND the lock is still perfectly functional.

msp2640

Single-Sixer
Jim - Thanks for checking in, as always I appreciate your knowledge! I know for me, it would be easier to swap a new spring seat, than risk my finger tips on a belt sander. I'm fairly certain I'll have to swap the strut as well, as the original with the lock seems exceedingly short. Any thoughts? Thanks again, Bill

Hondo44

Hawkeye
You're welcome Bill,

Yes, here's my thought. Keep the original spring, It's unique to the NM flat tops and New Vaqueros for a much better trigger pull; 24 coils instead of the standard spring with 28 coils.

msp2640

Single-Sixer
Jim - No spring swap on this, trigger is fine for me - just wondering if the spring strut is unique to the midframe or universal? Poster above indicated the Bearcat strut would work. Just want to ensure that I grab the correct parts, so I can be done with just installing my new grips!!! Thanks again, Bill

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Yes the strut and spring assembly is unique to the mid frame.

The Bearcat seat works the best with your flat top strut/spring assembly. It's shorter than the standard strut and the take down pin hole is higher up the strut because it goes above the lock and therefore also must go above the BC seat.

Cock the hammer, place a pin in the hole in your strut, remove strut and spring assembled together by lowering the hammer. Remove the lock, put the Bearcat seat on the strut below the pin hole and cock the hammer slowly. Remove pin and lower hammer. All done.

Some times the edges of the gap are more more rounded. You can file a small flat on each corner for the BC seat to rest on, but not usually needed.