HELP WITH HOLSTER FOR NEW 3" 101

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Burley

Bearcat
Looking for an IWB for a new, 3" stainless .357 SP 101. I like the look of the High Noon stuff, but they don't list the 3' barrel SP 101. Thanks and feel free to post pics if you have any.

stocks_sd

Bearcat
Here's a website that has links to holster makers:

alumbankweb.com/cc-riglinks.php

Here's two holster makers that I'm looking at for my 2.25 inch sp but they also make for the 3 inch. Holsters look really nice:

1) concealco.com

2) ttgunleather.com

Randy

anraith

Bearcat
Simply Rugged makes a great holster for the SP101 and is very reasonably priced. Quick turn around too.

I got the Silver Dollar pancake with the inside/out straps for mine and it is perfect.

www.simplyrugged.com

Burley

Bearcat
Good stuff, thanks guys. I'm likin' the Silve Dollar pancake. The inside/ouside option is interesting.

anraith

Bearcat
Burley":w2zl82nj said:
Good stuff, thanks guys. I'm likin' the Silve Dollar pancake. The inside/ouside option is interesting.

Just received my third holster from Simply Rugged today. 10 days from order to delivery.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
There's a bunch of threads on this here already (try a search)

I tried a few different models and didn't like 'em. The Bianchi was the worst! Tried a Mitch Rosen "Workman" and never looked back. Simply Awesome!

Burley

Bearcat
Thanks BlkHawk73, I figured out that I was using the search option incorrectly. Search for whole term returned a bunch of hits.:) I'll check out the Workman too.

Burley

Bearcat
"Thank you for your interest in Kholster. I just received my mold for the SP101 so we've got you covered!!!! Order any Crescent and put a note in the Special Instructions Section about your gun and we'll get you covered."

Here's the email I got the very next morning. Very nice. I'll see if I have any dough left after I pay my bills.:)

Oh Shoot

Bearcat
Take a look at David Bullard's stuff:
http://dmbullardleather.com

Here's my SP101 in his Dual Carry:

ruger-bullard-sm.jpg

- OS

Carry_Up

Single-Sixer
Good links to DM Bullard and Simply Rugged. Both makers have good looking products, which I intend to try out. My two cents worth after trying dozens of holsters (hasn't everybody?) is as follows. A strong side holster must be partially supported by the hip, not hanging below. This goes especially for heavy guns like Sig P220 or standard 1911.

Kydex is a great product, but the drawbacks are that it will never mold into the contours of your body. Also, there are pinching problems with Kydex at the top where you grab the gun. It does not seem to retain properly near the top like leather. Kydex seems to be great for open carry or for small guns worn high.

One thing I positively can't tolerate is a holster that allows the grip of the gun to bounce back and forth while you walk. Semi-autos are the worst in this respect because most of the weight is in the grip (magazine) which sticks up above the holster. Look at the center of gravity of the loaded firearm in relation to the belt placement. If most of the weight is above the belt line, you will have wobbling and uncontrollable bouncing at every step.

I dislike process of boning. If you see a holster that shows every detail of your gun on the outside, keep walking. The leather has been soaked, stretched and forced to mold to the gun's contours. Many tend to become limp and useless in no time for that reason. Drawing or re-holstering with one of these things can be very difficult due to the forced fit. 3). Even if you fancy one of these presentation holsters for its looks, 99% of them are for concealment. There is more likelihood of printing with a boned holster as well. Simply Rugged and DM Bullard definitely have the right idea, in my opinion.

Carry_Up

rugerlovah

Single-Sixer
i just got the simply rugged silver dollar pancake for mine. its a real simple holster. made well, fits the gun well. smells like real leather. lightweight. i like it

johnbh

Bearcat
I just ordered a sourdough pancake w/ inside out loops ,for my gp 100 4'.
Very simple design yet very functional, quality work w/ a personal touch.
Rob @ simply rugged takes pride in his work

Shoot44

Single-Sixer
Oh Shoot":r38gjgw6 said:
Take a look at David Bullard's stuff:
http://dmbullardleather.com

Here's my SP101 in his Dual Carry:

ruger-bullard-sm.jpg

- OS
Good lookin rig; Did your 101 come with those grips/stocks, or are they a mod? I ask 'cause I just made a set up for mine from walnut, and am just finishing up the oiling, polishing, etc. I like walnut (or other woods when I can get them) over plastic ANY DAY!