Help with Bowen Conversion

Help Support Ruger Forum:

peyton

Single-Sixer
I want to send a 32H&R single six to Bowen for conversion to 327 Federal. The question is when I look on the website it lists a price of $795.00. Am I reading it right? Here is what I read.

No. RS06 (2) .327 Mag. Single-Six Cylinder Conversion Designed specifically for the .32 H&R Single-Sixes, this procedure affords a simple, cost-effective conversion to the wonderful .327 Magnum cartridge that utilizes the factory barrel. Includes the necessary long-body cylinder, shortening the barrel extension and recutting the forcing cone. The action is tuned and cylinder reblued. Also applicable to both blue and stainless steel Vaqueros. Please note: this conversion is available only for center-fire guns. Please see the 'Options' section for a variety of additional modifications available.

RS06(2) $795; for refitting/refinishing the grip frame and remarking/rebluing the receiver, add $125.

Or is there another alternative?

Now if my first grade math is right I add the cost of the single six and I am up to a grand. So is it worth the while, or do I spend it buying two blackhawks in 327???

EarlFH

Single-Sixer
Custom work is very expensive, especially when you go to one of the foremost in their field. One thing you can be sure of. If it's done by Hamilton Bowen, it will be a work of art. If it was a shorter cartridge, so that it would just be a matter of rechambering the factory cylinder, it would be a lot cheaper. What you want reguires a custom longer cylinder to be made.

EarlFH

BlkHawk73

Hunter
If you're looking at Bowen's work and concerned about a few dollars you need to reconsider your needs. Seriously, he's at the top for a reason. Kinda like buying a McClaren and trying to dicker for a $1000 savings. :roll:
It is worth it or are you better off buying a .327 BH? Only YOu can decide on if his work and the result will be worth it to you.

Cholo

Staff member
It's up to you. I like my .32 Single Six just fine as is. If you want the latest .32 oomph, go for it. I just don't need it with all the .357's I have.

I still want to have Bowen build me a .22 Single Six with a 7 1/2" custom barrel with all his tricks to make it a tack driver. You probably wouldn't do that with a .22 sooo...

Bottom line? It's your gun to do with as you choose. Enjoy the decision making! It can be mind boggling in a good way :shock:

dougader

Hunter
795 + 125 = 920 in my town. add to that shipping and you're probably close $1k.

Looks right to me. Only you can decide it its worth it to you.

seeemmiss

Single-Sixer
I think you just send your cylinder to Bowen and he drills it a little deeper. Then you can shoot 32 h&r and 327 mag. Am I wrong? It works like a 38 spl and 357 maggie. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Ooops!!!! That is on the sp 101 or something like that. I guess the single six cylinder is not long enough. Sorry for the confusion.

Mark McWillis

Bearcat
I have a Bowen built .327 SS but it has a lot more features than that and was quite a bit more expensive. Was it worth it....yes. Would I do it again....yes. Your needs may vary but as others have said you're the only one that can make that decision.

dougader

Hunter
Yeah, I'd like one as displayed in the projects section of Hamilton's website.... with a 4" S&W K-22 barrel, a bisley hammer, etc, etc...

dougader

Hunter
So, Mark, when are we going up behind Crabtree park to CVSC and shoot your 327's? I'm down the road in MAC.

2 dogs

Buckeye
Bowen builds a FINE 327 Federal on the Single Six. But, I believe the one that Alan Harton built for me has a slightly longer cylinder. If I were to do it again, and I very may well, I would build it on a Single Six with a 32-20 length cylinder. Pictured are some of my custom single sixes. The top one is my 327 Federal Magnum by Harton. I shoot a 118 grain GC LBT bullet at 1550 fps with impressive long range accuracy.
032-1.jpg

It all depends if you are happy with box stock Rugers the way they come from the factory or not. If the goal is simply to have a 327 SA then definitely go for the new 8 shot Blackhawk. Just realize you are going to be carrying the same size gun as if you were carrying a 44 Mag or a 45 Colt large frame. If on the other hand, you are looking for a 327 that has your imprint on it then go for the single six redone by Hamilton, Alan like 2 Dogs mentioned or one of the other top guys. I sent a 32 Mag bisley to John Gallagher and this is what he returned for several hundred less than the numbers you mentioned but it was just what I wanted, not just like every other 8 shot 327 Blackhawk out there.

Still, I think the work af any of the top guys is worth every penny. I have several done by Hamilton, Alan and John and each one was just what I wanted and that makes them worth it to me.

Here is the long cylinder 327 that John did for me.
IMG_0173.jpg

peyton

Single-Sixer
Yep, I thought my math was off. The pictures you all displayed do show the quality of gunsmith craftmanship. So I am on the edge of the diving board!
Perhaps the next question should be which barrel length single six to convert? I just purchased a bisley with the 6 1/2 barrel at new years (met in the grocery store parking lot), but did not get to fire it. I also am finishing a deal to get the shorter barreled model as well.

Your suggestions are valued by me. Mr. The pictures does help a lot in knowing what the results would look like.

2 dogs

Buckeye
The barrel on the Harton 327 is a 6 inch Douglas. An important difference here is that my 327 started out as a 22. Thus my cylinder is linebored to perfect alignment with a top notch barrel. The accuracy results are predictable. However, if your 32 Ruger has good alignment in the first place your accuracy will be fine.