Help - Wife can't "rack" / cock LCP

Help Support Ruger Forum:

George

Blackhawk
I broke my left elbow bad years ago. My house gun was and is a compact Colt .45 and I use to keep it loaded with a full mag and a empty chamber.. Well when I was in a cast I could not get a round chambered. I used the edge of the table to chamber a round. This was some 20 years ago. From that point on I have had a round in the chamber cocked and locked. since then I broke my right index finger " my trigger finger in two spots" I was in a cast forever on that one but at least I knew I could shoot left handed and with one in the chamber I was fairly sure of it going bang when I pulled the trigger.. IMO like others have said make sure your wife can take the recoil and can shoot the gun .. Make sure she like shooting the gun.. My wife said a few times I'll shoot it if I have too holding my .45, heck the gun was bigger then her.. I knew better.. If she don't want too shoot it get something she won't mind shooting.. A hammerless DA/only revolver is a good safe gun.. Get a .22 if that's all she willing too shoot for now.. Get whatever it takes to get her to put some lead down range and have some fun doing it.. If you live where you can shoot in your back yard a steel can on the ground is ton a fun to try and keep it moving. Point is whatever makes it fun for her..I only say this because you said she has not shoot the gun yet! My wife has extremely bad arthritis with tendinitis in both hands. I chamber a round for her. She has a LCP and a LC9 also a S&W Model 36 subby. Another choice may be to have a gunsmith decide how much of a reduced recoil spring the gun can take and only use that spring when using the gun for carry and use the stock spring for range shooting.. Good luck and make it fun for her! George

MSGTDOUG

Bearcat
Okay, Sorry for the delayed answer.

Went to the range, FINALLY, and shot the LCP with reduced hammer spring. 50 rounds and she worked flawlessly.

Wife likes it now.

modrifle3

Buckeye
pyth0n said:
Boy, did I read the title, on this post, wrong. :oops:
Hope all is well for your wife and you.
Beretta had a model 86 with the tip up barrel, single stack 8 round mag, but they're no longer made. I spotted one here in AZ, two weeks ago, for $500.
Get the LCR. :)
ROFLMAO .... Thanks for pointing that out!!!!

mohavesam

Hawkeye
RUT said:
Autos aren't for everyone.

Agree. Movies and TV contribute to this "every gun is a semi-auto" myth. Revolvers work, and grips are often available that fit an individual hand much better than any auto.