Help value 10" 44mag Flattop Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mad1ben2

Bearcat
Hey guys... long time member but been out of the game for a while... need advice on how to determine the value of a Blackhawk I need to sell. Site says "search" function not available right now and I don't know if it's a temporary thing or if it's because I haven't logged in for a few years... either way, please tell me what's the right approach to take.

This is the gun I need help placing a value on - I can add pictures and more information once I know the right place to provide those details (lounge may not be the right spot).

10" 44 mag Blackhawk flattop with sambar stag grips. Serial # 23712

Many Thanks!

Condition is everything, of course. The stags help quite a bit.

RENE puts one of those old 10" flattops at $2025 and stags as a $605 adder if they are actual Ruger grips.

These prices assume "collector quality", like 95-98%. Good start?

:mrgreen:

mad1ben2

Bearcat
Great thanks... I presume ok to post pictures here then...

It's certainly in great shape but I wouldn't say it's "collector quality" by that definition... I'll start another thread with pictures... thanks again.

mad1ben2

Bearcat
Was directed to post this here and maybe Lounge... I'll start here.

Moderator edit: A subject is only posted in a single subforum. In this case, definitely NOT the Lounge. The original thread has been merged here..

10" 44 mag Blackhawk flattop with sambar stag grips. Serial # 23712

Need to sell and trying to come up with value.

Thanks!

Hi do you know if that has been re blued a picture of the inside of the cylinder frame would help it could be these old eyes but it looks like it was buffed out pretty hard and the stamping does not look very sharp it could make a big difference in the value

Gramps

mad1ben2

Bearcat
Well I'm back and my son is now big enough (18 yrs old and 240 lbs) that he enjoys shooting this beast (way more than I do!)... so rather than sell it I'd like to get some comfy grips for it... the stag grips may look nice but the sharp edges aren't good for shooting...

Can anyone suggest some comfy (rubber? Hogue?, pachmeyer?, etc) aftermarket grips to try and also help make sure I get the right ones the first time? I don't know if the grip frame for the early guns were different then the latter ones (50th anniversary, new super blue, etc).

Thanks in advance!

RSIno1

Hunter
Ale-8(1) said:
I would think a 240-pound youngster might take a liking to a set of the original XR3 size Ruger walnut grip panels. Just a thought. :mrgreen:
+1 - I prefer the original smooth grips that let the gun rotate on recoil and not drag your hand along with it. Trying to tame the beast will only get you a sore hand and wrist.

RSIno1 said:
Ale-8(1) said:
I would think a 240-pound youngster might take a liking to a set of the original XR3 size Ruger walnut grip panels. Just a thought. :mrgreen:
+1 - I prefer the original smooth grips that let the gun rotate on recoil and not drag your hand along with it. Trying to tame the beast will only get you a sore hand and wrist.

^ Yes. All of this. ^

I'm sure most of us have tried rubber grips on a heavy recoiling SA revolver at one time or another.

I tried, one time on a Super Blackhawk, and at the end of my shooting session, I had peeled all the skin off the palm of my shooting hand. :?

mad1ben2

Bearcat
Thanks for the replies! I assumed something rubbery would be better but will happily try smooth walnut... they certainly look much better (to me)...

so I'll just look for something that says they work with XR3 grip frame (yes, it's stock and unconverted)...

I'll see what I can find... I realize some BHs have a squared off trigger guard (think those are the super bh) and if they make the Beasley (sp?) version in a BH I know that'll be different, but if it just says "blackhawk grips" (and maybe shows a picture of a gun with rounded trigger guard) is there a good chance they will fit?

mad1ben2

Bearcat
Thanks for the replies! I assumed something rubbery would be better but will happily try smooth walnut... they certainly look much better (to me)...

so I'll just look for something that says they work with XR3 grip frame (yes, it's stock and unconverted)... but not XR3- RED...