Help SR556 vs. Sig 556

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RBorgers

Bearcat
About to pull the trigger on a new SR556, but I still find myself thinking about the Sig 556 Swat Patrol. I have a Sig 556 SBR love the gun, but hate the sights. The gun eats every type of crap ammo I have fed and keeps going, but you are really limited on the sights, and other accessories. I would really appreciate some input from some who has had both guns. Is the SR556 as reliable as the Sig 556, do you think it well hold up as well, and who has the best deal on the SR556?

captainkirk

Blackhawk
I have niether, but to throw a wrench in your search, look at the new Sig 516 as well. It is probably closer to the Ruger 556 than the Sig 556 is (apples to apples).

From what I know of the Ruger 556 (in the examples I have seen) it is a quality weapon.

captainkirk

RBorgers

Bearcat
I have read a little bit about the new Sig 516 on the net, but no one seems to know when it will be available, or what kind of sights will come on it. From what I can tell and have read about the SR556, Ruger didn't cut any corners.

deadduck357

Single-Sixer
I own both the SR-556 & SIG556 Classic, they are both top quality.

I'm not going to knock either as they are both very fine. BUT the advantage with the SR-556 is the endless amount of accessories for the AR.

The SR-556 is built like a tank, is very accurate for a 16", very reliable, I'm around + - 1000 round with 0 malfunctions.

As for the SIG516, its supposed to be released late this summer, but how often have we heard that, we'll see.

Oh between the two my SR-556 gets to come out and play more than my SIG556. Can't say why, don't know, maybe because I'm just more comfortable with the AR.

Sig685

Single-Sixer
The SR556 is an AR-15, piston-powered version.

The SIG556 is not an AR-15, it's a piston-powered semi-auto rifle.

One thing that I've never been able to get past with the SIG556 is that they made the upper the serialized portion of the rifle. I thought at the time that it was a stupid idea, I now think it's an atrocious idea.

With the lower as the serialized part, you can buy and have shipped to your house any number of barreled uppers, with different barrels and barrel lengths, different calibers, etc. You simply can't do that with a SIG556.

RBorgers

Bearcat
I really like the Sig 556 SBR I have, with the exception of the sights. You are really limited on the different sights that are availible for it. If you go with the midwest front sight you can use a Ar BUIS for the rear sight, but it sits just a little to high for a good cheek weld. If you use the Sig sights you can't get an Aimpoint or Eotech to co-witness. I have handled the SR556 and like the way it is setup I just want to make sure it will be as reliable as the Sig.

Trey Whitley

Single-Sixer
Tell me more about the SIG sights. I've been looking at a 556 Classic and want to make a decision while I can still take advantage of the $300 rebate.

Although I think the "pop-up" rear sight that's built into the receiver is a waste of time & materials, the HK-style diopter sight appeared to be useful. I don't have any intention of using anything but iron sights so this is an important point for me.

RBorgers

Bearcat
The sights sit lower than a standard AR sights and will not co-witness with a Eotech or most Aimpoints. You are very limited in regards to replacement sights. Midwest industries makes a replacement front sight that will allow you to use a AR back sight, but I didn't like the cheek weld.

Trey Whitley

Single-Sixer
So ignoring the issues with optical sighting systems, the problem is that the standard diopter sights on the SIG are too low? Didn't they change the front sight on the Classic to deal with some of the sight complaints? Again, I'm only interested in using iron sights and the issues you're having with the Eotech etc. really won't apply to my situation, but I can't have a rifle with worthless sights.

RBorgers

Bearcat
The problem is the front gas block rail sits lower than the receiver rail, limiting your options. I have the hooded HK style front sight and diopter rear on my 556. The sig diopter just seems a little cheap.

deadduck357

Single-Sixer
Trey Whitley":2puanhi4 said:
So ignoring the issues with optical sighting systems, the problem is that the standard diopter sights on the SIG are too low? Didn't they change the front sight on the Classic to deal with some of the sight complaints? Again, I'm only interested in using iron sights and the issues you're having with the Eotech etc. really won't apply to my situation, but I can't have a rifle with worthless sights.

If your not worrying about optic, the factory sights work well with the SIG556, they are not to tall, they are set-up for the SIG556, no problem.

Its when you try to put AR15 height sights on the SIG556 Classic that there is a problem. There is a cheek weld height difference between an AR and the SIG556.

Troy ind. has come out with SIG556 height folding Battlesights.
http://store.troyind.com/Micro_BattleSights_p/ssig-iar-smbt-00.htm

stchman

Bearcat
Both are quality rifles. The SR556 is an AR while the Sig556 is not really an AR.

The SR556 wil be a little less expensive, but both are somewhat pricey.

Me being a Ruger fan I would go with the SR556. I like American made firearms.

RBorgers

Bearcat
Took a while to decide between the Sig 556 or the Ruger SR556, but I decided to give the Ruger a try. Found what seemed to be a good deal at Tin Star Shooting Ranges, and ordered one. I have high expectations for the Ruger, I hope it can live up to them.

deadduck357

Single-Sixer
RBorgers":2dzxvtdr said:
Took a while to decide between the Sig 556 or the Ruger SR556, but I decided to give the Ruger a try. Found what seemed to be a good deal at Tin Star Shooting Ranges, and ordered one. I have high expectations for the Ruger, I hope it can live up to them.

Congrats., you will enjoy, its very well made. Set it up to your liking.

Oh and post pics when you get it.

cluelesspa

Bearcat
Plus I think the SIG 556 you cant drop in AR trigger.

I just dropped in a Giselle AR trigger into the Ruger. direct replacement no gunsmith needed.

nmscuba

Bearcat
I agree on parts. If you SSR556 breaks something you can go almost anywhere and get a replacement part for 98 percent of this rifle. You can't do that with the sig.

Sigs are great firearms, I have many sig pistols at home, I really would like to get a sig 556 ir 516 when they come out if I can afford it then, but in the mean time Im very content with the Ruger 556.

This is off the subject, but I traded in my FN FS2000 which was a 556 for that reason. Great rifle, reliable, accurate, short etc. But its all polymer including the modular trigger housing and all, In the FN forums many are having problems with them cracking and you can't take it apart to fix, you have to buy a whole new modular trigger group for $400 or more depending on who and where and of course you have to WAIT for it to come.

Outside of the bolt carrier and piston rod, gas block assembly everything else is Milspec and will fit

SReagle

Single-Sixer
RBorgers":343a79fv said:

So it's been awhile I am curious how do you like it.

goretro77

Bearcat
I've tried both firearms before I bought the SR556. The fact that the SR556 is built on top of the AR platform wins due to the large aftermarket support of this platform compared to the Sig 556.