Help needed on Security-Six box.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Yeah, I think red too.

I have a couple 152 and 153 guns in yellow boxes but they all have some sort of late ship excuse for them, like S marked Seconds, U marked Used, and the batch of misfits that for one reason or another didn't ship until a 2009 warehouse cleanout but those have orange barcoded labels.

My earliest yellow box that I am absolutely certain of being period correct was a gun my dad bought new, a GA-36T Big Grip target model and it is 154-86xxx. The highest SN red boxes I have that I have that I suspect are correct are for a NIB consec pair of GA-34 guns w/shippers at 154-93xxx. So as with a lot of Ruger things, there are higher number guns with the older accessory/part and vice-versa. But by and large, my sense is that the red to yellow changeover was in that upper range of the 154 prefix.

ron...I think I have one in yellow/ black and the red / black. unsure of the gun that really go's in them but there for double action guns you crave (you twin action sick pup) note. in AZ till end of March. but ill help then if still needed...FNC

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
I just checked RENE and it echoes what I said, so Chad must have gotten his box info from me since these are my SNs:

Box Note: The red and black hinged box was used to at least s/n 154-93044 and the yellow and black hinged box began to be used by at least s/n 154-86795. This change occurred in March 1979.

Problem with my data is that I only have one 155- gun, so there certainly could be some in red boxes. I have multiples of every other prefix but the only 155 that I have is an unboxed 9mm Speed Six.

hittman

Staff member
WMGs post made me want to check the s/n 155- guns here.
Weird ….. not ONE in that prefix.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
My ex-wife recently found some of my old papers and gave them to our son to bring to me. They included a very old handwritten list of my firearms (probably from the late 1980's since it includes a 10/22 that was stolen in 1990) and a Security Six that I bought new was on that list. I subsequently sold that Security Six when I inherited an older similar gun from my dad. It was a red boxed RDA-36 at SN 155-1939x.