Help me with dinner...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wolfsong

Staff member
A friend of mine in Florida sent me 5 pounds of frozen 10/15 Gulf shrimp. So, here's my quandry: steamed and chilled shrimp with a spicey homemade cocktail sauce and a nice salad, OR shrimp sauteed in butter, garlic, scallions and lemon with s dash of pale dry sherry and some halfmoons of thinly sliced zucchini and diced fresh tomatoes thrown in at the end, over steamed rice.
Prep/cooking time is about the same for both, 30 minutes or so.

Decisions, decisions.

pleadthe2nd

Single-Sixer
Sautéed sounds like a winner to me, if you had more time , jambalaya, is always good with shrimp, and sausage

wolfsong

Staff member
Oh, the things you can do with shrimp!

I usually save the large prawns for steaming, sauteeing, stuffing or baking. I like 21/25s for breading and deep frying. Anything smaller gets cooked, chopped and turned into shrimp salad.

I love cold boiled shrimp w/ good cocktail sauce. Add a nice salad and some sweet tea and feast away. I remember a seafood place outside of Kinston, NC where they had cold boiled shrimp as an entree. I have never seen another place that would do that. It was probably a dozen to fifteen 16-21's, great creamy coleslaw, FANTASTIC hush puppies(all you could eat), and your drink. Don't remember the cost but it was very reasonable. Every time I went there (to install/ service the equipment the Dupont plant near there bought from us) I would always have that at least once.

mr surveyor

Blackhawk
fresh (large) shrimp, butterflyed with:

sauce:

equal parts of butter (real butter) and white wine
really good dose of cayenne pepper
dash or two of salt
dash or two of garlic powder
and the main ingredient is fresh chopped rosemary

coat the shrimp and lay it out on a slotted roasting pan - put it off to the side of the charcoal/hickory fire (close the lid) and cook only as long as it takes to get the "raw" out of it ... depending on the heat, 7-10 minutes is plenty

heat the rest of the "sauce" and use it for a "dip"

can't beat it.

jd

Large, done New Orleans Pascal's "Barbecue" style, which is really nothing more than a quick sautee with LOTS of butter and a few spices only just long enough to turn 'em pink. Must be served with French bread for "sopping up" the sautee sauce. Make more than you think you will need, at minimum a pound per person. :love::love::love: Sides to suit.

Chief 101

Hunter
In my house we like both, but mostly do the sauteed version with rice and veggies. I do add a bit of serano chili to the sautee and pour the leftover sautee mixture over the rice. If I had smaller shrimps I might steam and make some coctail sauce to go with them. I think tomorrow it will be sauteed shrimp here.

Johnnu2

Buckeye
Sauteed in olive oil and crushed garlic. Then poured over linguine...... Simple, fast and minimal clean-up.

J.

rugeraficiando

Bearcat
What day are you preparing them to enjoy? I'll be there to help and consume. Actually the wife and me. She's the tremendously talented queen of the kitchen. I'm just a smoker and barbecue guy. :)
Perhaps Forrest Gump could chine in?

mike4570

Bearcat
Peel and devein. Sauté in olive oil with garlic, thyme, salt and pepper. Deglaze with a little white wine. Off heat whisk in some cold butter. Serve over toasted French bread. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and scallions.

RCA1504

Bearcat
Live on the Gulf coast, shrimp is always best if the cooking is kept simple. Otherwise the only thing you really taste is the stuff you put on it. I am a peel em and eat them kind of guy, boiled or steamed. Most folks on the Gulf use crab boil or Old Bay. I peel a shrimp in two moves.

If you want a sauce or gumbo always simmer the liquid with the shrimp shells, strain. The shells is where the good shrimp taste comes from in any liquid.

Latest posts