Help me spec out a custom Ruger Bisley!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MaxP

Buckeye
Here's a .500 JRH Bisley by Huntington with a 5 1/2-inch barrel, that I no longer have. The revolver below it is my .44 Mag (six-shot oversized cylinder) Bisley also by Huntington (I still have this one) with a 5 1/2-inch banded barrel.

254e55b0-e6b5-4bb2-9083-5cbe86e6fcb5.jpg

4e6e578b-8a1a-4d72-9300-c6b2b8ddf7db.jpg

PotatoJudge

Single-Sixer
Checkering a Bisley hammer makes all the difference in the world when it comes to purchase. Power Custom Bisley hammers have grooves like the Ruger ones but the grooves are sharper and easier to thumb.

Ex-Machina:
Back in January, I sent a Blackhawk to David Clements to have something similar made. It will be a 5 1/2 inch octagonal barrel, with a bisley grip frame and hammer. I trust his judgement better about what sort of front sight, so I left that up to him.

But I think you've gotten some good advice about custom revolvers here, make sure it's what you want, like the 5 inch barrel. I've seen Double action revolvers with 5 inch barrels, it's a nice size for good
proportions on a gun.

What sort of grips will you have, or did I miss that part?

DHD

Single-Sixer
Sounds like you're getting close to finalizing your build. Couple ideas I would consider, and you probably already have, is have JRH do his grip frame mod on that Bisley frame. My hands aren't huge, just large and I know both my Bisley grips tend to smack my middle finger if I get sloppy holding them (both 45 Colt's). Neither we're stocked by JRH but I wish the front of the grip frame was relieved a touch. Having a machinist as a shooting partner has it's own rewards I suppose.....

I also prefer the barrels to be no longer than the end of the ejector rod housing for no other reason than aesthetics. Being honest with myself I find I shoot irons better with a longer barrel but we don't build handguns or rifles because of honesty do we.

MaxP

Buckeye
DHD said:
Sounds like you're getting close to finalizing your build. Couple ideas I would consider, and you probably already have, is have JRH do his grip frame mod on that Bisley frame. My hands aren't huge, just large and I know both my Bisley grips tend to smack my middle finger if I get sloppy holding them (both 45 Colt's). Neither we're stocked by JRH but I wish the front of the grip frame was relieved a touch. Having a machinist as a shooting partner has it's own rewards I suppose.....

I also prefer the barrels to be no longer than the end of the ejector rod housing for no other reason than aesthetics. Being honest with myself I find I shoot irons better with a longer barrel but we don't build handguns or rifles because of honesty do we.

Both of the above posted revolvers of mine have the aforementioned Huntington grip frame mods. Definitely well worth it.

CraigC

Hawkeye
I haven't needed the grip mod and think that custom grips can sometimes make that difference but I honestly don't think it's going to hurt to have it done anyway, just in case.

IMG_9429b.jpg