Help me pick which one.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Havoc

Bearcat
For Christmas, I've been give the choice of a .44 Super Black Hawk, a .22 Single Six and a .357 GP100. The .44 and .22 are blued and the GP100 is stainless. They belonged to my wife's family. All are in great condition. Any suggestions on which to pick?

wwb

Hunter
Is either the .44 or the .22 an Old Model? If so, that's what I'd go for.

SBH4628

Blackhawk
I bugged my wife a few years ago for a 50th single-six at Christmas,She said "If I buy it for you will you shut up" I got the gun,but the next year all I got was "shut up" Make the right choice !!!! :)

G2

Hunter
Sounds like this might be a "First" Handgun for you? if so. . . .

The Single Six would be my pick as it is cheap ($2~10/50rnds) to shoot and a good entry level to start into handgun's.

The GP is next, would be a good plinker w/ .38's ($$10~20/50rnds) and give you the capacity to hot .357's. ($$$20~30/50rnds) Good for home/personal defense too.

The .44 SBH is a nice gun and was my first handgun, but would be the most expensive ($$$$30~50/50rnds) to shoot and alot of recoil to learn to handle. You will probably do as I did and re-load ($$$) it down to make it a bit more enjoyable.

Bottom line, I have them all and I find myself shooting the .22 the most.

Do return with a picture of your selection, and WELCOME.

Sounds like you have some great choices. I'd say it depends on what you already have and the wholes you need to fill, as well as what you plan on doing with it. Don't know if it's a home self defense gun, a woods walker gun or just what. Your plans are the biggest part of the equasion.

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
Provide more information please: What are the barrel lengths? Do you reload? What is the extent of your handgunning experience? Gun conditions? Gun age?

DGNY

Bearcat
A big welcome!. Nice of you to ask here. Great group of knowledgeable enthusiasts here and about. The questions they pose to you are apt. The purpose you have, or which you can imagine and carry out, will lead to your answer.

If you are a bit new to the handgun world, the .22 Single Six would be a fine choice especially if it has a .22 cylinder for standard ammo, and not one that is just .22 Magnum Rimfire . Even better if it is a convertible model with both cylinders.

The GP100 .357 is a flexible choice, too. You could use .38 Special ammo as well as the more powerful .357, all the way from plinking to targets to hunting [assuming your state allows that].

My choice, were I you, would probably be the .44 Magnum, as that is a great platform for .44 Specials and .44 Magnum, with reloading almost a necessity for any significant amount of shooting, and an absorbing hobby after buying some books and reading up.

Good times are ahead!

Good Luck,

Dyson

all good points above, and without any "exact" info as to a possible 'rare' variation or so, of the three guns you mention, I'd advise the GP100 best value, will be worth more, and more practical, as to the varied,many uses of such a firearm,,,the other two are at their range limits (low) for the .22 and (high) for the 44 mag...again, unless either of those two are 'rare' variations, go middle of the road....plus easier to use,for any and all shooters,new or experienced.....we all have our 'favorites'........and "why"

Papa

Bearcat
I agree with rugerguy,

While they're all good and capable firearms, I think the GP100 is probably the most practical.:D

Of course if you have other firearms and one of the other could fill a void?, but then we don't have that info.....:?

Papa

Yep to all the above.
My 2cents worth. If you are new to shooting, have a place to go PLINKING and do not reload go for the 22. They make wonderful training pieces for the whole family. I still shoot a 22 better than the big bore stuff and I have shot 100,000s rounds of big bore in the last 50 years.
With the big bore stuff ya always have the expense/reloading in the back of your mind. When I want to pratice for CAS I get the 22s :D I can go thru 500 22s in no time :roll: :roll:
Jim
Welcome to the Forum

wixedmords

Blackhawk
Welcome aboard the forum Havoc.

I guess until we can get the details on your intended usage of each firearm in question, your general experience with firearms in general, and any detail about these 3 firearms......

I am thinking rock, paper, scissors?

Snake45

Hawkeye
If the choice were mine, I'd pick the Single Six, only because that's what I'd shoot the most (and I don't own a single action of any kind).

Havoc

Bearcat
A little more background. I have a SR9 that is my only hangun, and then have a variety of shotguns.

The GP100 is a six inch barrel, I'm not for sure the lengths of the .22 and the .44, but they are about the same length barrel wise. They are the new models, not the old. I wouldn't use any of them for hunting, mostly just for target shooting and home defense in a pinch. The SR9 is with me most the time, and a shotgun is primary home defense.

DGW1949

Hunter
Havoc":3psq8bgy said:
A little more background. I have a SR9 that is my only hangun, and then have a variety of shotguns.

The GP100 is a six inch barrel, I'm not for sure the lengths of the .22 and the .44, but they are about the same length barrel wise. They are the new models, not the old. I wouldn't use any of them for hunting, mostly just for target shooting and home defense in a pinch. The SR9 is with me most the time, and a shotgun is primary home defense.

Given your intended uses, I'd go with the 6" GP.

DGW

Dusterman

Single-Sixer
Pick the GP its a good gun that can use two different rounds with out changing the Cyl. I have a GP in 4" stainless and enjoy it and I also have 3 single sixes and love shooting them and it costs way less to shoot. I say get the GP but impress upon her that the 22 would be a great family pistol for you ,her and the kids to enjoy :wink: Dusterman

dakota1911

Buckeye
I have a GP100 with a 6 inch barrel and it is built like a tank. You can shoot realy hot loads through it, or mild, cheap 38 specials. As mentioned, the .22 would be fun if you had a place to plink and could spend an afternoon going through 500 rounds, or if you had a new shooter to train.

kscott

Single-Sixer
I really want a GP100, in fact it's next on my list right now, but if I were you and didn't have a .22 at the moment, I'd be tempted to go with the Single Six.

Then again, you could go with the GP and save up a little cash for a used MK II to fill that void.

I don't know why I'm trying to help you, I can't even decide!! haha