Help me decide- P89 or 95

Help Support Ruger Forum:

96/44

Blackhawk
I appologize in advance as I'm sure this has been discussed many times before. I am looking at a very lightly used P89, and a new P95. I like them both, and have read tons of threads about the pros and cons of each. I will not be carrying the pistol, just plinking and informal target shooting. I have several other auto pistols, but not a Ruger yet. The price being the same, if it were you, which would you reccomend, and why?

ruger1963

Bearcat
Get the P89. They're getting harder to find in good condition and they will likely go up in price.

This is coming from a very happy P95 owner.

They are both great guns that you will probably wind up getting one of each anyway! Get the P89 now for the reasons cited above, and the P95 is still being manufactured so you can get it later on.

I have a P94, too.

My P89, P95, P94 and PC9 carbine all use the same magazines and are all great guns.

meanc

Single-Sixer
I've got two of each if that tells you anything.

I'm not much of a fan of the factory grips on the P89 nor the grip of the older P95. Too slippery for me.

But the newer P95 with the stippling and aftermarket uncle mike's on the P89 make them so much more comfortable in the hand, not to mention a little better looking.

96/44

Blackhawk
Maybe I should just flip a coin, or maybe I will get lucky and the shop will sell one of them. You guys sure aren't making my mind up for me, I really should get both, but can't swing it right now.

tkarter

Single-Sixer
If you are going to carry it every where you go get the P95. If you want the best possible gun to withstand a nuclear blast get the P89.

There is the alternative and get one each. :D

tk

GhosT

Blackhawk
96/44,
Great thread subject.

Never owned a P89(do own a P91,think same size).
Also own a P95 that love.

My first thought was suggest the P95, cause mine accurate ,reliable,and more concealable then the P89.

But as you said...
"I will not be carrying the pistol, just plinking and informal target shooting"....

Have known SOOO MANY P89 owners over the years...all love them!

Any advice from me would be BIAS....
Both have great history's reliability wise.
If not looking to conceal ,comes down to which you prefer after test firing.

HMHO, but ya can't go wrong with either model if buying just for fun!

Wild Bill '67

Single-Sixer
ruger1963":80p1wjhy said:
Get the P89. They're getting harder to find in good condition and they will likely go up in price.

I agree. If you only are able to afford one, get the P89 while you have a chance. Haven't seen one in any of the local gunshops for some time and they are not even that common on Gunbroker compared to a huge selection of P95s.

The P95 obviously carries better but the P89 is a tank. Both are great pistols but you can pretty much get a P95 whenever ya want.

My two cents of course.

Chris1

Bearcat
You can always buy the p95 later if you want, however the likelyhood of a p89 being available at your convenience is low. Buy the 89 now and you won't be disappointed. If you decide later you need one for the home and one for the car, the 95 will be easy to pick up at your convenience and the mags are compatable.

96/44

Blackhawk
Ok, I got the P89. Decock only model, blued, came with 2 mags, 312- serial number according to the ruger website is a 1998 production. I can't wait to shoot it! Yes, it does look like it could survive being run over by a tank, or a nuclear blast, everything about it looks heavy duty. Overall I think I did pretty well, at $200 out the door (the guy at the gun shop doesn't think very highly of Rugers and priced it to reflect this.) They also had a mint P90 for a very good price, so many temptations...

Ordguy

Single-Sixer
My P89DC is 312 series also, purchased new. Most accurate & reliable 9mm I currently own.

Mine came with two 10 round mags.

Chris1

Bearcat
That is a great price for a p89. I would buy another one for that price anytime.

speedsix

Bearcat
If you are sure you are never going to carry it, get the one that feels best in your hand. If you might need to carry it, the P-95 for sure. In fact, I think I like the P-95 a little more than the P89 even though I just bought a P89 and sold my P95 years ago.

Take a piece of bicycle inner tube and cut it to fit the grip. Slip it on the grip of either gun and you have improved the grip without adding much thickness. As a bonus, it is free to do this as opposed to $10 for a Hogue Handall.

rmansu2

Single-Sixer
I own a KP95. If I ever found a P89 in good condition for a decent price I would jump on it. I originally was in search of a P89 but settled on the KP95 with a tac rail because of price and availability.
If my friend should ever decide to sell his P89, I'm top on the list.

Buy the P89 if you can only buy one. You'll be able to find the 95 later if you want that one too.

Russ7777

Bearcat
I have never shot a p95, but I love my p89. it is very reliable, shoots good,and is very durable.
I have talked with several p89 owners, and none of them have had any problems with them, and they will eat anything you feed them.