Help in selecting red dot optics

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rd97

Bearcat
I have a Mark II with a Barska Red dot. It does not do well in bright sunlight as the dot washes out. It is not the tube type sight. Is there amything out there under $100 that will work in bright sun as well as cloudy days? :?:

I like the UltraDot 25 tube-style sights. They're approaching $150 these days, but I feel they're money well spent. I've seen a lot of regrets over buying cheaper sights and finding flaws/limitations, but I've never seen anyone posting regrets over buying an UltraDot.

The UltraDot comes with an extension tube (sun shade, or for use to fit your ring spacing), as well as a polarizing filter for shooting in bright sunlight. Pretty nice package.

That said, I'm sure there are good quality sights available for under $100. I hope some folks come forward with their suggestions.

Happy shopping!

rd97

Bearcat
Thanks, I have read many good things about the ultra dot. I am famous for buying cheap and regretting it.

mattsbox99

Hunter
Quit regretting it, spend a little more money and get a quality optic.

I like JPoints, they work in bright sunshine and in the cloudiness with a auto dimming dot so its not overpowering in a darker situation.

The Burris Fastfire is a similar styled optic, and the Docter is too but its quite a bit more expensive. Competition shooters all over the world use the C-More and beat the heck out of them and they keep on ticking.

CanonLyles

Single-Sixer
I have a BSA RD30 on my 10/22 carbine that was already intalled when I bought it. I like it, just not on my 10/22. I bought it for a small brush/plinking gun, and like iron sights. But, I zeroed it at 25 yds, and consistantly knock the smalll orange dots on my paper targets with it at that distance. No matter how bright or dim the day is, I can see it and they're pretty inexpensive, too. With that said, the better names are (mostly) better quality.

You get what you pay for, and mine was free. LOL It works great, though.

bullockdgmanor

Bearcat
So far, I've been quite happy with my Tasco red dot on my Mark III pistol -- it's low end (about $35.00), but has a good bright round dot. I've been out shooting with it a couple of times, and it does the job.

A caution, though -- make sure whatever you buy will fit your rail. My pistol came with the Ruger rail that has the standard Weaver width plus the smaller rimfire width in the middle. I bought the Tasco in Weaver size, and it wouldn't fit over the higher rimfire portion of the rail. I then bought an aftermarket Weaver rail, and the slot spacing was wrong! So I ended up having to grind out a new slot myself...

Dan

A

Anonymous

There is a trick I learned that may not work in all cases but may be worth a try. If your red dot sight uses a 2032 battery you can use 2 #2016 batteries in it's place. Doesn't make the dot twice as bright but does seem to make it brighter.
I'm currently using this in a Weaver red dot on my 10/22.
Hope this helps.

dacaur

Single-Sixer
+1 on the cheap tasco red dot... I didn't expect much from this cheap sight, $33, but it more than met my expectations... I would definatly recomend it if you are on a budget....

Bigfoot62

Bearcat
rd97":2iy7g8wo said:
I have a Mark II with a Barska Red dot. It does not do well in bright sunlight as the dot washes out. It is not the tube type sight. Is there amything out there under $100 that will work in bright sun as well as cloudy days? :?:
Millett SP-1. About $75. Excellent optics.

Mr. Boom

Bearcat
I got a Centerpoint Red/green dot at Walmart for $50. Got it mounted on my 10/22 and it holds zero well, the dots have adjustable brightness, and it came with flip-up lens covers. I am very happy with it!

CanonLyles

Single-Sixer
rd97,

You're pretty much limited by your budget. Plus, you should check your LGS and pawn shops for a used one. Might be able to find a really nice one for dirt cheap.