Help ! I'm stuck in the kitchen....... Thanks, 'SIXSHOT'

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
It's Friday evening, and instead of taking a scent free shower,and putting on my scent free camo, getting ready to shimmy 25' up a tree with my climber, and waiting for Mr. Buck to come strutting by,I'm stuck in the kitchen ! Tonights meal consisted of Dutch oven chicken, taters, rolls, and a new creation, spooky cake cobbler.
The chicken was fried briefly after a coating of flour,dry ranch dressing, garlic powder,onion powder, and seasonal. It was then placed in my enamel dutch for a bake.

The taters are 'SIXSHOTS' with a little milk added to smooth them up a little.

The rolls are 'SIXSHOTS' with a twist. Or maybe I should say roll. After the bread rises, I rolled out little balls(seen it in a cowboy movie as a kid) and placed in Dutch for a bake. Butter the top the last 10 minutes to brown.

Lastly, was the Spooky cake cobbler. I got the idea from 'SIXSHOTS' post on dutch cooking, and Fulldraw had a recipe using cake mix, butter, and orange soda. Since I was making this for my daughter, I wasn't using pie filling. So I used a second can of orange soda, and added some Halloween candy in the mix, and set to bake . Turned out pretty good. My daughter liked it ! So did I !
elmer003.jpg

Chicken and taters, fresh from oven

meal003.jpg

My new #12 Campchef dutch. It's a Lewis & Clark commemorative. The rolls were its maiden voyage.

meal004.jpg

Spooky cake cobbler out of the oven.
chicken002-1.jpg

Plate of grub :D :D :D
002.jpg

Plate of Spooky cake cobbler. Not for the faint of heart !
Momma's full and purring like a kitten. Maybe I'll hunt tomorrow while she and my daughter eat leftovers :lol: .

sixshot

Buckeye
Jeff, looks like a wonderful meal you fixed there, everything looks very tasty & cooked/baked to perfection, pretty sly if you ask me, parading around as a cop when you're really a New York chef :wink:
I've used the cake mixes a few times but the original recipe is so easy & I can make it up just as fast so I don't use cake mixes much unless its a 2 layer vanilla then chocolate, that works pretty good.
I just dropped a leg of lamb in some marinade for the night, tomorrow it will be browned/seared, some slivers of garlic pushed down through some slits in the meat, next to the bone & then slow cooked over the coals, takes about 3-4 hours, dutch oven spuds are also on the menu along with biscuits supreme, a wonderful biscuit recipe of my wife's.
We'll make homemade rootbeer for a belly wash :lol:

Dick

RUFFBIRD

Blackhawk
I'm glad I'm in ma fat,...whoops meant ma track pants.... :lol:
That looks good right now, & I just had breakfast. I just love dutch oven grub.... :)

Thanks for making us/me hungry... :p

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
SIXSHOT said,
We'll make homemade rootbeer for a belly wash

Carefull Dick, that could set off a chain re-action, and you might end up with more than a belly wash :lol: :lol:

I want your recipe for the rootbeer, please. All boys love cowboys, dogs, and rootbeer :D .

OK Jeff,
All of that food looks GREAT.
You have got to remember Sixshot is a REAL SNEAKEY GUY. He wants you to be a cooking so he can go out and shoot more critters.
We all still need to see some Badger Stew with Idaho taters in the Dutch oven. This is Sixshot's specilty dish :lol: :lol:
Jim

PS How did you do the Yard Bird????? Did you do all of it in the Dutch????? Looks great :D :D

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
Jim,
The yard bird was done 'SIXSHOT' style. The breast were skinned, and placed in cold water along with the wings(skin left on). They were then rolled in a mixture of flour, dry ranch dressing packet, garlic and onion powder, and seasonal. They were then fried in a Lodge brand skillet in canola oil. I've learned to make sure the oil is really hot, before dunking the chicken. I fry for about 2 minutes, each side, and then place in the Dutch. Seems I end up baking everything at 350 degrees, in the oven. I had the chicken, taters, rolls, and cobbler all in, at the same time. I bake around 1 hour. The meat will fall off the bone :D . My Grandma make her chicken the same way. So between SIXSHOT and Grandma, that's a pretty strong endorsement in my book !(Grandma's the one that told me to NEVER use soap on my cast iron) She's 89, and still frying chicken, and pork chops(My traditional meal the night before opening day in Pa.)

Hope this helps, you could(should) try some of them big, old trout you catch(or buy at market :lol: :lol: ) with this recipe. I'm betting 'SIXSHOT' would be knocking on your door, in no time. :lol:

You ever cook your trout like this ? After gutting, lay trout on a piece of aluminum foil, put a few slabs of butter inside the trout, along with some chopped onion, and garlic powder. Wrap up the foil, around Mr. Trout, and place on grill, or hot coals. When you smell the butter, simmering, its about time to check on them. The skin sticks to the foil, and the meat flakes off the bone, with a fork. Had many a creekside lunches that way.

Swampbilly

Single-Sixer
Amen on the no soap rule.

When I'm done cooking in my cast iron skillet, I pour some water in it and then boil that for a few minutes.

Take it to the sink with running hot water and a light scrub pad...everything melts away out of it. Most important is to dry it thouroughly, putting it back on the stove or the oven with a very light rubbed oil coat and heat it well to preserve the "seasoning" of the pan.

Regards,

MD

Jeff Hoover":1nwjaxta said:
Jim,
The yard bird was done 'SIXSHOT' style. The breast were skinned, and placed in cold water along with the wings(skin left on). They were then rolled in a mixture of flour, dry ranch dressing packet, garlic and onion powder, and seasonal. They were then fried in a Lodge brand skillet in canola oil. I've learned to make sure the oil is really hot, before dunking the chicken. I fry for about 2 minutes, each side, and then place in the Dutch. Seems I end up baking everything at 350 degrees, in the oven. I had the chicken, taters, rolls, and cobbler all in, at the same time. I bake around 1 hour. The meat will fall off the bone :D . My Grandma make her chicken the same way. So between SIXSHOT and Grandma, that's a pretty strong endorsement in my book !(Grandma's the one that told me to NEVER use soap on my cast iron) She's 89, and still frying chicken, and pork chops(My traditional meal the night before opening day in Pa.)

Hope this helps, you could(should) try some of them big, old trout you catch(or buy at market :lol: :lol: ) with this recipe. I'm betting 'SIXSHOT' would be knocking on your door, in no time. :lol:

You ever cook your trout like this ? After gutting, lay trout on a piece of aluminum foil, put a few slabs of butter inside the trout, along with some chopped onion, and garlic powder. Wrap up the foil, around Mr. Trout, and place on grill, or hot coals. When you smell the butter, simmering, its about time to check on them. The skin sticks to the foil, and the meat flakes off the bone, with a fork. Had many a creekside lunches that way.

Thanks so much for the recipe. I will give it a try for sure.
As to the Trout, you are 100% correct. That is the way I do mine. On the grill on med. heat for 8min. a side.
Most folks think you want to fry Trout. WRONG. Gives it the oil taste.. I also add salt and pepper and butter the outside. Keeps the skin from sticking to the foil and comes right off the Trout. The most Trout I wrap is around 3-4. Just to more packets.
A lot of people over cook Trout/fish. If the meat sticks to the bone it has been cooked to long.
Thanks again for the recipe. It will go in my stuff.
Jim

sixshot

Buckeye
The main thing is to get your oven clean & then a light coat of oil. I know many award winning cooks who use soap to clean their ovens, if it was a problem they sure wouldn't use it, but your oven has to be well seasoned in the first place or all bets are off.

Dick

sixshot

Buckeye
Hello Jim, I've got them but I didn't know how hot your temps were down there in sunny Texas, I can send them anytime. The cockeyed badgers have eluded me for 3-4 weeks now & one of us is getting mad :wink: Today I was hunting sandhill cranes, look like B52's with feathers :lol: Anyway, I can send them anytime you think they'll be OK. The 30 carbine is a great little shooter, it won't get much attention now until I whack a buck, then off to Montana for a couple of whitetails. A guy doesn't want to get bored. :cry:

Dick

sixshot":2ofj7q0y said:
Hello Jim, I've got them but I didn't know how hot your temps were down there in sunny Texas, I can send them anytime. The cockeyed badgers have eluded me for 3-4 weeks now & one of us is getting mad :wink: Today I was hunting sandhill cranes, look like B52's with feathers :lol: Anyway, I can send them anytime you think they'll be OK. The 30 carbine is a great little shooter, it won't get much attention now until I whack a buck, then off to Montana for a couple of whitetails. A guy doesn't want to get bored. :cry:

Dick

Hey Dick,
No problem we can wait for the 3 days of winter when the temps get down to 75 :D :D
My neighbor has a sandhill mounted and hung over his fireplace. HUGE.
When you cook one of those in the dutch add some small rocks. That way after you throw away the bird you will have something better to eat. :D
Tried to eat one of those ONCE. It DID NOT taste like chicken.
Jim