Help identifying Ruger 44 Flattop

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tim628

Single-Sixer
I just traded for an OM Ruger 44 Flattop with a 4 5/8" barrel. It is unconverted and has some bluing wear, the grip frame has been polished shiney and has a set of real stag grips(no medallions). It is a four digit gun with nothing on the left side of frame to indicate make or model or caliber, and it does not appear to have been filed on or any medal removed. The serial number on the right side is larger numbers and appears to be handstamped. The writing on the left side of the barrel is :
Sturm, Ruger & Co.
Southport. Conn. USA
Nothing on top or on the right side of the barrel.
The guy I bought it from says he bought it from a guy claiming this is a demo gun and the stag grips are original. This guy says his dad bought it from the sales rep back in the day. The claim is that the 4 5/8" barrel and stage grips are accurate for this gun. I didn't think they made a flattop 44 in 4 5/8" or a set of stags without the medallion.
Any help identifying this gun would be greatly appreciated. I could be convinced to sell if the price was right. I am not savy on posting pictures on the forum, but could email pics if that would help.
Thanks
Tim

Tim628

Single-Sixer
Yeah, I know what you mean. I didn't trade for it buying in to the story. It is pretty neat regardless. Just wandering what I might possibly have. I have a couple real Ruger Flattops at home, I am going to do some comparing tonight and go from there.
Thanks
Tim

contender

Ruger Guru
All factory stags have medallions.
None known w/o the emblem.
And as far as anything I can find,, no OM Flattops shorter than 6-1/2" were ever produced.
Lots of custom gun makers can remove markings to where the can re-mark the gun to what they built. And it can look "factory."
I'd say you have a NICE custom.

they ALL have a "story"...how do you know its not just a Ruger barrel installed on some other, or home made receiver??? yes, we have seen some built from scratch, there are lots of machinists out there capable of such a project...no markings and hand stamping is NOT the "norm".... :roll:
Have any pictures?????

But it would highly unusual for any firearm to not be marked with maker & the caliber. And a salesman sample would just be pulled from normal production especially if 4 digit number into production. I think you have a homemade cobbled together gun that needs to be checked by competent gunsmith if you ever intend to fire.

nrobe50

Buckeye
I have pictures sent by Tim but can't get them to load from photo bucket. Will try again later when I have more time. The frame is a protected sight that has been milled to a flattop.

well if it appears to be "milled" in one spot, the bet is so was the other spots...gotta see and take measurements, and there again, "why" and especially the "hand stamped serial numbers"........ we learned LONG ago you stay away from rewelded ,scrapped guns and damaged, obliterated , altered serial numbers, and the reasons are OBVIOUS 8) :roll: :wink:

chet15

Hawkeye
There were at least two .44 flattops originally made with a 4-5/8" barrel. One is serial number 2331 (my notes say it was actually 4-3/4") that ended up with Elmer Keith. The other gun was a special order by Herb Glass I believe for a friend of his...not only does it have a 4-5/8" barrel, but it is also factory Jerred engraved...serial number 7498.
Chet15

back around 1990 at the Shotgun News, Ruger theme show that was held at the I-X center in Cleveland,OHio an old guy came around looking at the displays, and was impressed with them, and had shown my wife a short barreled 44 flattop, and had shown it to "other" collectors who kinda of ignored him, and gave him a hard time as to it being "right" ...our friend Bob C was the only guy who paid heed to him, but the others talked Bob out of buying the gun, ( at the time it was like $250 !!!) that Sunday afternoon, he had come back, with a letter from Ruger, as to the gun, and then everyone wanted to buy it, but he refused...never saw the guy again, he was very disappointed to say the least...so again, NEVER say never, and at least pay an old guy a little respect 8) ...................................still have to "see" ,handle, and make a few measurements to make ANY comments or decision as to "worth",they are what they are and they ALL have a story..... :roll:

chet15

Hawkeye
There are quite a few short barreled .44 flattops in the 10xxx and 11xxx range, but none have ever lettered. Some have different crowns on the front as well, and some are actually 5".
Chet15

flatgate

Hawkeye
contender said:
,, no OM Flattops shorter than 6-1/2" were ever produced.
Huh? Who sez?

112875649.jpg

OK, OK, I'm just pullin' yer leg! :D

flatgate