Help! I can't decide

Help Support Ruger Forum:

USMC Vet

Bearcat
I have a chance to pick up a new Ruger Red Hawk in 45 Colt. 4" bbl, Hogue finger groove grips for a decent price. I hav a number of single actions in the big 45, but have never had a D/A. Anyone have any experience with this particular firearm ? Pro or con, all advice appreciated. USMC Vet

Rusty W

Single-Sixer
I have a .44 mag in a 7.5"bbl Red Hawk. Well I think I still do. My girlfriend has all but taken it away from me. I loaded some 250 gr Keith boolits over 8gr of Unique and now she shoots it more than I do. I leave in the morning for work and when I come home there's an empty box of 44's on the bench. I explain to her I'm trying to work up a load for deer hunting this season and to leave me some so I can see how they shoot. She just laughs and says they work good baby load some more, I like that 44.

I too have a .45 colt in a Blackhawk, if money would allow I'd have a Redhawk too....or 3. I like the 5.5" bbl myself.

RonEgg

Blackhawk
I have one that was cut down from a 5 1/2 inch just before they started building the 4 inch. Great gun, nice cartridge, you won't regret it.

maxpress

Buckeye
like my 4" .44 which is the same gun different holes. hate the houge grips. it packs well and i think would put down anything im willing to face.

Knuckles

Buckeye
I have one on lay-a-way... (sniff) I wish I could get her paid for before hunting starts. :cry:

Mr. S

Bearcat
I guess I have had my Redhawk 4" .45 Colt for about a month or so. I have been able to get to the range with it twice in that time. It shoots very well.

I like to put about 200 - 250 jacketed bullets through a stainless barrel before I start shooting cast lead. That is just a personal thing of mine. YMMV.

The first loads I shot were Hornady 250 Gr XTP's over 8.0 grains of Unique in Winchester cases and Win LP primers. They shot well.

The last range trip I bumped the load of Unique up to 8.5 grains. They also shot well. Even with my old eyes, I was getting about 4" groups at 25 yards. Not the greatest for most, but not bad with my eyes.

The next range trip I will be shooting 260 Gr Speer JHP. Not sure of powder or charge yet. I am looking into the Merit Optical Attachment for my eyeglasses.

Mostly, I am very happy with my Redhawk. I am sure it will always be capable of more accuracy than I can shoot it with. It feels very solid. The only thing I may change is the grips. I just haven't decided if I like the Hogue's yet.

Thanks,

Rick

RedhawkRS.jpg

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
I have the 4" in the .44 Mag. It is very, very accurate. I would prefer the gun in the .45 Colt cartridge. Heck, that thing will digest elephant killers...safely.
The RH, however, has only one spring which controls trigger as well as hammer functions. Due to this, it is somewhat difficult to lighten the trigger pull without affecting hammer strike (weak primer hits). I have NOT experienced any problems and really like this gun a lot. My single-action pull is about 5 1/2# although a good letoff. Polishing the internals would reduce this pull somewhat.
It is a somewhat heavy, extremely powerful, well-built stainless double-action revolver. You can safely shoot 350 gr hard-cast at 1375 fps without excess pressure. You can read this link to find out much good info.
I really like mine. You will too.
http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech_no ... tes.htm/11
Sonnytoo

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum & Semper Fi!
Get that gun, take it out, shoot it,, and after you go back home, sipping a cold beverage,, realize the smile is still on your face!