help for a friend

Help Support Ruger Forum:

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
i have a friend who has decided to get into semi-auto's, he has been only a revolver guy. he wants a p95 but has been told by people he works with that the polymer rails won't last on the p95, and the metal ruger uses is soft. i have two p95's but only have a few hundred rounds thru them so i don't know. i know mine have been reliable and don't show any signs of wear, his coworkers have been trying to get him to go glock. he just wants a reliable gun to take to the range, and pull duty as a home defense weapon without hurting his wallet. thanks for any help, oh he was gonna register himself but has yahoo mail and it wouldn't go thru. thanks

railroader

Single-Sixer
boomer92266":1bvmzt7e said:
i have a friend who has decided to get into semi-auto's, he has been only a revolver guy. he wants a p95 but has been told by people he works with that the polymer rails won't last on the p95, and the metal ruger uses is soft. i have two p95's but only have a few hundred rounds thru them so i don't know. i know mine have been reliable and don't show any signs of wear, his coworkers have been trying to get him to go glock. he just wants a reliable gun to take to the range, and pull duty as a home defense weapon without hurting his wallet. thanks for any help, oh he was gonna register himself but has yahoo mail and it wouldn't go thru. thanks

That's the 1st I have about ruger rails being a problem. Both my P97 and my P95 seem to be holding up well. Maybe your friend should ask his coworkers about springfield xds. The rails in the front are steel but the ones in the rear are polymer. They don't seem to be a problem either. The only problems I have heard of with the metal parts is with the SR9 which is a totally different gun. That was the barrel peening which could be from other factors other than soft metal. Mark

railroader

Single-Sixer
One other thing. I had a glock 17 that I bought new a while back. I tricked it out with competition sights and a 3.5 connector. It was a nice gun but it just didn't work for me. So I sold to buy my P95. I have no regrets. Mark

3leggeddog

Single-Sixer
boomer92266":1ezjbl9n said:

The best thing you could do for your friend is to take him to a range that rents pistols. It cost me $21.00 to rent 3 different brands and a box of 9mm. Theres nothing wrong with the XD's or the MP's.... He can then look around for a good used gun if money is tight! The Ruger are good too, if you could wear one out,just sent it in to them for a free fix up!

Tell him the consensus is, at least with this group (this is what I've seen over the past 5 years on this list) that a P95 bought new or used will do one of two things. Either work or it won't. If it works... it will work with any ammo for the next 15-20,000+ rounds... if it doesn't then you send it back to factory to be fixed and then you are good to go for those same # rounds.... On very very rare occasions does one get a lemon.