HELP!!1911 problem.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

oldyeller

Single-Sixer
last round from mag does not fire when trigger pulled hammer falls and then rebounds to safty notch. or only falls to safty cock. all3 mags feed great and lock open on last shot in order to fire last round i have to pull slide back alittle and let her go home then it fires fine?????? wish ruger made on of these.

tek4260

Buckeye
Sounds like there is a problem with the mag followers or weak springs in them. Look on the last round and make sure there is full lockup. I bet there is not and that is why the hammer is rebounding to half cock and why you have to pull the slide back slightly and release. Reguardless, a new quality mag will probably cure your problem. Actually sounds like the same problem I had with some I got on Ebay. Thought it was a good deal at $20 for 5................... 4 did not function.

SAJohn

Hunter
Good thinking Tek, that last shot thing had me stumped but I discounted the mag because three of them were doing it. I still have about 3 WWII era mags with their original springs and they still function 100%. What is with this new manufacture stuff?

Old Yeller, if this turns out to be the problem please e-mail with the brand so I never buy any.

SAJohn

tek4260

Buckeye
SAJohn":tdxhtr1o said:
What is with this new manufacture stuff?
SAJohn

Foreign garbage I guess. I doubt it is the springs. More likely it is the follower. Load one round in the mag and cycle it somewhat gently. Does it load? I bet with one round, it hangs on the feed ramp due to the nose of the bullet sitting too low in the mag.

contender

Ruger Guru
I use a lot of Wilson & Chip McCormick mags for my 1911s in competition and they work GREAT.
I too believe it's a mag issue,,, and since it's only happening on the last round,,, it could be the follower or the spring. Easily checked with a new, quality made mag.

oldyeller

Single-Sixer
going to the smithy mon for some other work will try some of hi good mags . two of these are brand new novacs er novaks er you know what i mean thanks guy's Mike.

contender

Ruger Guru
Interesting. I've never tried novacs. However, I have watched MANY serious USPSA competitors tweak & work over new mags well before they use them. Me,,, I just usually take any new ones to the range,,, test fire,,, & have never had to tweak any of mine.
But new mags,,, of any decent brand should be fine. Usually,,,,,,?????

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
contender":3rcl5zq4 said:
I use a lot of Wilson & Chip McCormick mags for my 1911s in competition and they work GREAT.

Same here....Since mags are the source of many 1911 headaches one can use these to brand mags and pretty much eliminate that variable from troubleshooting...they are that consistant.

oldyeller

Single-Sixer
back from the smithy today adjusted sear with alittle fwd tweak and she is pumping rds like crazy .Thanks gang novacs are still alive and well used to use them alot.Mike.

Pinecone

Blackhawk
This is a general troubleshooting procedure I have used for many years. If you own a 1911 or clone, get yourself a Wilson-Rogers magazine as a troubleshooting "tool"! If the gun malfunctions with a W-R magazine, 99 out of a 100 times, you have a problem with the "gun" mechanism! You can take this advice to the bank. In my experience, this is the "Cadillac" of the 1911 mags period!............................Dick :idea:

Boge

Single-Sixer
Pinecone":b9uqeqvn said:
...In my experience, this is the "Cadillac" of the 1911 mags period!............................Dick :idea:

It used to be. Now the Tripp Cobra Mags are the torch bearer. :wink:

DGW1949

Hunter
In my experience.....

Most malfuntions that occour with an in-spec 1911 are either due to neglect, or due to some sort of previous "improvement" being done to the gun,

If an in-spec, Gov't length (5") 1911 won't feed with a USGI mag, the gun itself needs some attention.....or you're trying to use ammo that aint suited to the gun's basic design.

Sometimes, certain ammo will give problems which can be corrected by going to a commercial mag of one brand or another. If not, it aint uncommon for the gun itself to need modified for specific bullet shapes and/or lengths.

Reguardless of advertizing hype, there's dern-few "drop in" parts that don't need fitted to a particular gun. And if they do drop-in, you're either extremely lucky, or they don't fit as properly as ya might think they do.

DGW