Hello to The Board From a New SR9 Owner

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Landshark

Bearcat
Hello from Houston

I just bought a new SR9. I originally went in to get another SigPro 2022 pr an M&P, but the Ruger felt great in my hand and Ilike the slim profile of the pistol. The SR9 is just plain solid and I like the 17+1 cap.

I took it to the range and ran 150 rounds of WWB and Monarch through it without a hitch. I don't shoot it as good as the Sig so practice is in order!

I got home from the range and looked up this forum. All seemed well until I read about the peening issues. My obsessivness took over and I field stripped the pistol and looked over the barrel and slide for a long time.

I am mostly a shotgun/wing shooter so forgive me if I don't know the correct names of some of the parts I want to describe. When I was reading through the posts I saw a pic that really bothered me. There was a guy's SR9 that had metals coming off the rear of the barrel that looks like two small fingers. Mine is getting shiny there and the reast of the barrel looks ok. My question is, where do I look for the peening to start?

This is a great forum! Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

Landshark

jhearne

Buckeye
The two barrel ears (what I call them) are recently showing some peening on a few people's guns. If the problem worsens you'll probably have to send it in to Ruger. The other, but more prevalent peening problem is the one on the top front edge of the chamber block of the barrel. It hits against the slide when fired and the force can deform the metal to a more noticeable point.

Most people won't see peening issues, but being aware that they're out there is a good start. A common sense approach to them is best, keep an eye on it but once you think it's a problem let us know and there's plenty of people here to help figure out what's up.

That SP2022 is a really nice gun, it's on my list, but I don't think I'll be getting one any time soon.

Shameless plug :): Check out my sticky'd thread on top of this forum if you haven't already for info on how to get the gun apart for your reference or to polish some parts up.

Welcome to RF.com from a fellow Texan!

Josh

Dusterman

Single-Sixer
Welcome and congratulations on your purchase I own a SR9 and both my daughter and I enjoy this gun. As for the peening just keep an eye on it not all of the SR9,s have this problem.The place where you say yours got shiny mine got a small indent I cleaned it up and have had no problems sense.I suggest you read the how to sticky it gives you a smoother trigger making shooting this gun more enjoyable,dusterman

Dawg1

Bearcat
I have an SR9 with peening issues & have not had any problems shooting it,I shoot it better than my other pistols. Mine is peening on the barrel hood & the ears, but now have been getting it on the bottom of the barrel where it meets the frame,has anyone else experienced it in this location? Mine has around 600 rds thru it on American Eagle only as this is the only 9mm I can find at the time. Not to worried until it gives me an issue, this is a range gun. Can't wait for the Ghost upgrade.

Landshark

Bearcat
Thanks for the quick replies. I did read the sticky on the SR9. That is one awesome tutorial!

I think that I could shoot my SR better if I had a Hi-Viz type front sight. My 50 year old eyes could use the help. :shock:

81aggie

Bearcat
Hello Landshark and welcome to the forum. Lots of great info here. I've had my SR9 for a few months now and have about 800 rounds through it. I have only very slight peening on the barrel hood that can barely be seen and felt, does not affect shooting the gun at all. I love how it shoots and used it for the range qualification part of my CHL.

I understand about the 50 year old eyes, I'm in the same boat but my near vision is still good so I don't have a problem seeing the front sight. My distance vision is not so good, so beyond 7-10 yards the target is really a blur but I can still put my shots in the 8 ring or better at 15-25 yards.

Enjoy your new pistol, think you're gonna like it!

graygun

Hunter
Dawg1":2jggs8hu said:
I have an SR9 with peening issues & have not had any problems shooting it,I shoot it better than my other pistols. Mine is peening on the barrel hood & the ears, but now have been getting it on the bottom of the barrel where it meets the frame,has anyone else experienced it in this location? Mine has around 600 rds thru it on American Eagle only as this is the only 9mm I can find at the time. Not to worried until it gives me an issue, this is a range gun. Can't wait for the Ghost upgrade.

That sounds sort of like what mine has except for the "ears". The top of the barrel where it meets the "block" shows minor wear. Also the bottom of the barrel block shows two small arc-shaped indentations...one is opposite the other.

I put 135 rds through it last week...5 different shooters. All went fine except sometimes the slide lock would release when a mag was loaded. It has close to 1,300 total so far.

Landshark

Bearcat
I put another 75 rounds through it today and then checked out the barrel. Nothing new or abnormal. I have about 225 rounds through it so far and really like this pistol.

810wmb

Single-Sixer
landshark -

that might have been my thread....anyway, ruger replaced the barrel, no problem.

i really like the gun, i'm going to sell mine though. i fell for a cz...the rev worked a spell on me!

i read all about the peening after i bought mine. as has been said, just keep an eye on it. while i hated it happened, i knew ruger would take care of it, and they did.

about a week turnaround.

tookalisten

Blackhawk
I've got close to a 1000 rounds thru mine and have had no issues. A friend of mine shot about 50 rounds thru it last weekend and promptly went to the gun store to buy one himself.

I agree that Josh's thread has been a huge help; it is one of the reasons that I decided to purchase the SR9 because the breakdown was so simple after seeing this resource.

Latest posts