Hello Gunnison

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I leave tomorrow for my annual 23-hour drive to SW Colorado for a 10- night stay in the mountains with no one else around but my best friend since 1972. I didn't get drawn for any tags, so grouse it is for me. Jeff has cow elk and buck deer and black bear tags, but he is a resident (instructor at C/S Air Force Academy). See y'all in two weeks if all goes well.

Last edited:

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
AHHH; I remember playing some music in Band way back in 1957/58 Titled "Black Canyon of the Gunnison" ; dont remember who was the composer but it was great for a French Horn player.
Enjoy your trip, drive careful and stay safe !

We have hiked all over the Gunnison area some spectacular views. Enjoy your hunt.
Gunnison FullSizeR (003).jpg

Last edited:
Pat you are correct about Olatha being the best Corn. We first ate it while in South Fork CO.
We now look forward to buying it here from Kroger during August.

You are a little off on when it is a available.

THE OLATHE SWEET CORN FEST IS BACK!
SATURDAY AUGUST 6TH 2022
From 10am-10pm In Downtown Olathe

Olathe Sweet Corn is a special fall treat. Fresh Colorado sweet corn is only available from mid-July to mid-October

Last edited:
You will enjoy the Gunnison Area we did. We have been there several times over the years. I have camped along and fished the Taylor River and reservoir, driven over Cottonwood Pass at 12,126' right after it had opened for the summer the snow was still 9'-10' high in the some plowed areas, went to a car show in Crested Butte, and met a RF member Piper at a Gunnison Car show.
If you get a chance explore the very beautiful area.
Enjoy your trip and stay.
Jim

You will enjoy the Gunnison Area we did. We have been there several times over the years. I have camped along and fished the Taylor River and reservoir, driven over Cottonwood Pass at 12,126' right after it had opened for the summer the snow was still 9'-10' high in the some plowed areas, went to a car show in Crested Butte, and met a RF member Piper at a Gunnison Car show.
If you get a chance explore the very beautiful area.
Enjoy your trip and stay.
Jim
I've been going there since the early 2000’s and still love it more every time I go!

Last edited:

Johnnu2

Buckeye
HAVE A GREAT TRIP YETI..... we never forget times like these.

My Colo. hunting partner passed many years ago.... He used to fuss about me hunting without any cartridges in my '03-A3 and the bolt hanging open while I carried it. "At least close the bolt so if we ever run into any other guys they won't think you're weird.". I really never wanted to down and Elk because it was too much work for two guys in the middle of nowhere to dress and get it out.

Another one of his favorite criticisms of me was: "If I wanted a nag around here, I would have brought my wife.". This was after my insistence to clean up our camp and make it look like we were never there.

I SURE MISS HIM and our weeks of peace and quiet in big sky country.

J.

I got home around 8 am Sunday. As always, it was a great time in the mountains. On my way home, in a small place called Augusta Kansas, I got my first ticket ever (been driving since 1978) for doing 40 in a 30. I saw the officer sitting there, and whenI got right in front of him, I saw the 30 mph sign (it was 40 until then). I hit my brakes, unlike everyone else who kept driving the same speed, so he pulled me over LOL. $162.50 poorer than I was. Colorado mountains were excellent as always. My last night out, and a mountain lion across the meadow started getting vocal after midnight, when the 1/2 moon had cleared the trees. It made a sound like: RRRROUGH RRRROUGH and then a cough sounding sound. It did that sequence twice. I have to say that is the first time that I have ever questioned using my sleeping bag only in Colorado LOL

turd

Blackhawk
Did you and/or your friend get what you were after? Elk, fish, or? I used to do a lot of hiking, backpacking, and camping when I was younger. Now I hike from the car to the restaurant, quit backpacking, and camp in my king size bed with wifey. 😉