Held a Glock 19 again...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ConradM

Blackhawk
I handled a few different guns at the range today as I'm planning on a new one here soon. I just really don't understand the praise Glocks get. I'm sure it's proven and reliable and all... But the grip is HUGE and it has the angle of a rifle.

As far as I can tell it's the only gun that has that severe of a grip angle. To each his own I guess.

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
ConradM":3n25cqdp said:
I handled a few different guns at the range today as I'm planning on a new one here soon. I just really don't understand the praise Glocks get. I'm sure it's proven and reliable and all... But the grip is HUGE and it has the angle of a rifle.

As far as I can tell it's the only gun that has that severe of a grip angle. To each his own I guess.

I'm looking at a 19 and a compact 1911 right now. The front grip angle of the 19 is identical to the frontstrap angle of the 1911. The 19 measures 2.17" thick through the grip from just under the triggerguard to the backstrap. The 1911 measures 2.12" with the grip safety pulled in. The 19 grip is 1.18" thick, the stock 1911 grips are 1.28" thick. You grip the Glock about 1/2" higher than a 1911 which I think contributes more to the different feel than the shape of the grip.

Yes the Glock grip is more rectangular and the bump at the bottom of the backstrap fits the hand differently. Grip angle of a rifle? Hardly. If I shoot the Glock then pick up the 1911 I automatically hold low. If I shoot the 1911 and pick up the Glock I aim high. For a few draws or dry fires, then I correct and all is fine. An arched MSH on the 1911 lessens the difference.

Sorry I can't make the comparison to the beloved SR9 cause someone else owns it now, although the SR9 replicates the 1911 grip angle and feel along with a high hold like the Glock.

You point is? Oh, you don't like Glocks. Maybe you shouldn't buy one then. :roll:

timjo1955a

Bearcat
The grip angle is not as much as a P-08 Luger. :lol: I've gotten used to the grip angle of my G23(same size as G19) and, with practice, getting the preferred 2 handed high grip is quite easy. The low slide axis helps.

ConradM

Blackhawk
ArmedinAZ":2c9uuuvy said:
ConradM":2c9uuuvy said:

I'm looking at a 19 and a compact 1911 right now. The front grip angle of the 19 is identical to the frontstrap angle of the 1911. The 19 measures 2.17" thick through the grip from just under the triggerguard to the backstrap. The 1911 measures 2.12" with the grip safety pulled in. The 19 grip is 1.18" thick, the stock 1911 grips are 1.28" thick. You grip the Glock about 1/2" higher than a 1911 which I think contributes more to the different feel than the shape of the grip.

Yes the Glock grip is more rectangular and the bump at the bottom of the backstrap fits the hand differently. Grip angle of a rifle? Hardly. If I shoot the Glock then pick up the 1911 I automatically hold low. If I shoot the 1911 and pick up the Glock I aim high. For a few draws or dry fires, then I correct and all is fine. An arched MSH on the 1911 lessens the difference.

Sorry I can't make the comparison to the beloved SR9 cause someone else owns it now, although the SR9 replicates the 1911 grip angle and feel along with a high hold like the Glock.

You point is? Oh, you don't like Glocks. Maybe you shouldn't buy one then. :roll:

So defensive :lol: Who said anything about how thick it is? Reading > you. I said it's big. Front to back it has to be the biggest grip I've ever held.

But you confirm my point very well. Glock fan boys take it so personal when you say anything negative about them.

driver52

Bearcat
I love my SR9 and never considered myself a Glock Guy until I got a G23 in a trade and I love it. And after I put a Talon Grip on it, it feels even better.

ConradM

Blackhawk
Like I said, I'm sure Glocks are fine guns, they have to be. Hell it was the first gun I ever shot thx to my cop brother.

But I think the following they have is more based on rep then anything else. Sheeple see this manufacture with this already great following and think it must be the best thing since sliced bread. When in reality it's no better than any of the top poly pistols available.

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
ConradM":g9nstoen said:
[
So defensive :lol: Who said anything about how thick it is? Reading > you. I said it's big. Front to back it has to be the biggest grip I've ever held.

But you confirm my point very well. Glock fan boys take it so personal when you say anything negative about them.

I'm hardly a Glock fanboy. I've not measured any other semiautos so I personally can't quantify the grip but a difference of .05" is hardly significant. And when anyone says a weapon has the grip angle of a rifle and I happen to have that weapon handy I'm curious if the statement has any truth to it. I refer to the 1911 since I have a couple of them and the SR9 touts the same grip.

You mistakenly think I defend Glocks. Not true. Just another gun brand. I'm just slightly annoyed when a person throws out opinions presented as fact. Now anyone owning a Glock is a sheeple?

And talk about buying based on a rep? Are there any handgun brands you wouldn't own based on their rep? You bored today Conrad? :wink:

3leggeddog

Single-Sixer
ArmedinAZ":2g9u4kx1 said:
ConradM":2g9u4kx1 said:
[

I'm hardly a Glock fanboy. I've not measured any other semiautos so I personally can't quantify the grip but a difference of .05" is hardly significant. And when anyone says a weapon has the grip angle of a rifle and I happen to have that weapon handy I'm curious if the statement has any truth to it. I refer to the 1911 since I have a couple of them and the SR9 touts the same grip.

You mistakenly think I defend Glocks. Not true. Just another gun brand. I'm just slightly annoyed when a person throws out opinions presented as fact. Now anyone owning a Glock is a sheeple?

And talk about buying based on a rep? Are there any handgun brands you wouldn't own based on their rep? You bored today Conrad? :wink:

I rented 4 guns: a MP-9 , XD-9 ,Glock 19 and a SR_9 .
The one I disliked the most was the Glock, small sights and a grip angle that was just bad for me. Im not bored! I wont attack you for your opion too!

ConradM

Blackhawk
ArmedinAZ":1fjxd52z said:
ConradM":1fjxd52z said:
[

Did I state any facts? The front of the grip may be normal... but the back def is not. Which is what makes it so big. and not every glock owner is a follower.... Just the ones that get heated and defend any ill will towards glock like it's gods handgun.

Mike J

Hunter
I don't think Armed is in the koolaid corps Conrad.
I have shot my neighbors G-23 & it was very easy to shoot accurately & fast. The grip thing didn't bother me. Everyone is different though. Glock does have an advantage as far as aftermarket accessories are concerned in my opinion. Glock armorers also seem to be a dime a dozen making it easier to effect repairs or modification. If you don't like it it isn't the gun for you though.
The only advice I'll give you Conrad is whatever guns you are interested in shoot as many of them as possible before you purchase. Rental fees & ammo might be a little extra cost right now but it could save you some money in the long run.

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
ConradM":1etzkb51 said:
Did I state any facts? The front of the grip may be normal... but the back def is not. Which is what makes it so big. and not every glock owner is a follower.... Just the ones that get heated and defend any ill will towards glock like it's gods handgun.

I've got time to play along a little more. I'm not heated and I sure didn't say God carries a Glock. (Probably a polished SS Colt 1911 with pearl grips...) What makes a grip feel big or small in the hand is the circumference. This 19 measures 5.5" in circumference, the 1911 measures 5.25". That's what makes a grip fill the hand. The P93 also measures 5.5" and it fills the hand also. Your SR9 is probably in the 5.25 or smaller range. You've obviously never held a Taurus PT92 with the wood grips, I don't think my middle finger touches my thumb when I grip that gun. It's huge.

And when you say: "But the grip is HUGE and it has the angle of a rifle. " you are presenting that as fact. If you say "it feels like" or "I think it has" then it becomes your opinion. Calling someone a fanboy is usually interpreted as a bit of an insult, you might want to rethink that. A fanboy is thought of as someone who blindly defends their chosen brand or model even in the light of obvious flaws or problems. Know any SR9 fanboys? :wink:

Edit: Actually I'm a fanboy of most anything that goes BANG and pokes a hole where I point it. Got 5 brands of autos, .22 to 45, and like em all. :D

3leggeddog

Single-Sixer
ArmedinAZ":1h3qfg7l said:
ConradM":1h3qfg7l said:

I've got time to play along a little more. I'm not heated and I sure didn't say God carries a Glock. (Probably a polished SS Colt 1911 with pearl grips...) What makes a grip feel big or small in the hand is the circumference. This 19 measures 5.5" in circumference, the 1911 measures 5.25". That's what makes a grip fill the hand. The P93 also measures 5.5" and it fills the hand also. Your SR9 is probably in the 5.25 or smaller range. You've obviously never held a Taurus PT92 with the wood grips, I don't think my middle finger touches my thumb when I grip that gun. It's huge.

And when you say: "But the grip is HUGE and it has the angle of a rifle. " you are presenting that as fact. If you say "it feels like" or "I think it has" then it becomes your opinion. Calling someone a fanboy is usually interpreted as a bit of an insult, you might want to rethink that. A fanboy is thought of as someone who blindly defends their chosen brand or model even in the light of obvious flaws or problems. Know any SR9 fanboys? :wink:

Edit: Actually I'm a fanboy of most anything that goes BANG and pokes a hole where I point it. Got 5 brands of autos, .22 to 45, and like em all. :D

ConradM didnt bring up a 1911 , or the SR-9 YOU did. And your telling him to keep thing straight! hehehe - I believe he's allow his opion, with out some Glock FAN BOY going off on him. DOES IT MAKE ME A BAD PERSON BECAUSE I DONT LIKE GLOCK TOO ? Glock are good guns , just not for me. I hope you can understand this and we all can move on?

ConradM

Blackhawk
I was just simply trying to say that I don't understand the bandwagon. It baffles me. Most hand guns point about the same.. Grips vary slightly and you have to nit-pick to find whats right for you.

But Glocks are just OUT there. Again, I understand that they are reliable accurate guns. But they don't deserve the following they have because they aren't remarkable. It's funny that so many people think other wise.

A 1911 on the other hand deserves a cult following.

revhigh

Hawkeye
They're just guns guys !! It's not like someone said that somebody's mother wears army boots or something ! :D :D

Let's try to remember that we're all friends here !! :D

REV

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
There are many pistols that deserve a cult following, 1911's, Browning HP's, Sig 200 series and CZ 75 series to name some. In my opinion, a Glock has all the personality of a sponge as most polymer pistols do, I own an SR9, it's a good gun but one striker fired polymer pistol is more than enough for me. I don't even think a Glock is still the best polymer pistol out there anymore even if I liked it's crappy grip, JMHO.

ConradM

Blackhawk
revhigh":1k0fw5ke said:
They're just guns guys !! It's not like someone said that somebody's mother wears army boots or something ! :D :D

REV

It's all for good fun and post count Rev :wink:

revhigh

Hawkeye
ConradM":39i4nutx said:
revhigh":39i4nutx said:

REV

It's all for good fun and post count Rev :wink:

I know Conrad ... sometimes it can get a little nasty though .... been there myself ... always regretted it.

Cheers ! :D

REV

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
3leggeddog":2w2llspb said:
[ ConradM didnt bring up a 1911 , or the SR-9 YOU did. And your telling him to keep thing straight! hehehe - I believe he's allow his opion, with out some Glock FAN BOY going off on him. DOES IT MAKE ME A BAD PERSON BECAUSE I DONT LIKE GLOCK TOO ? Glock are good guns , just not for me. I hope you can understand this and we all can move on?

Unbelieveable. :shock: Guess I didn't use enough :wink: :lol: :? :roll: eh?

One last try.. I happened to have the gun Conrad referred to and was curious if the grip angle was indeed like a rifle. Substitute the word Glock for Springfield or S & W or CZ, makes no difference to me. Also happened to have the gold standard, a 1911, for reference..and Ruger claims the ergos of the 1911 grip for the SR9. Easy jump to make and we all know how much Conrad likes....no adores his SR9 :D . If the claim were that a CZ had the grip angle of a rifle and I had one in the safe I'd have looked at it and commented about it as well.

Yeah the grip is different on a Glock. This dead horse has been beat so much there's nothing left of it but a greasy spot on the ground. Glock fanboy? nope. Fact not fiction fanboy? yep

Rev, you've seen it all, what pistol has the fattest, hugest, weirdest grip you can think of?

No worries Conrad :wink:

ConradM

Blackhawk
ArmedinAZ":26ix9d25 said:
3leggeddog":26ix9d25 said:
[ ConradM didnt bring up a 1911 , or the SR-9 YOU did. And your telling him to keep thing straight! hehehe - I believe he's allow his opion, with out some Glock FAN BOY going off on him. DOES IT MAKE ME A BAD PERSON BECAUSE I DONT LIKE GLOCK TOO ? Glock are good guns , just not for me. I hope you can understand this and we all can move on?

Unbelieveable. :shock: Guess I didn't use enough :wink: :lol: :? :roll: eh?

One last try.. I happened to have the gun Conrad referred to and was curious if the grip angle was indeed like a rifle. Substitute the word Glock for Springfield or S & W or CZ, makes no difference to me. Also happened to have the gold standard, a 1911, for reference..and Ruger claims the ergos of the 1911 grip for the SR9. Easy jump to make and we all know how much Conrad likes....no adores his SR9 :D . If the claim were that a CZ had the grip angle of a rifle and I had one in the safe I'd have looked at it and commented about it as well.

Yeah the grip is different on a Glock. This dead horse has been beat so much there's nothing left of it but a greasy spot on the ground. Glock fanboy? nope. Fact not fiction fanboy? yep

Rev, you've seen it all, what pistol has the fattest, hugest, weirdest grip you can think of?

No worries Conrad :wink:

I did. But the Glossiness has faded and it's just a gun with great ergos, sloppy fit and a meh trigger. Ready for something different. :D

revhigh

Hawkeye
ArmedinAZ":2xcknjj4 said:

Well ... I sure haven't seen it all ... but if I had to pick ONE gun that I loved, but hated the grip on .... it would have to be the CZ97 (45ACP). I wanted one in the worst way, almost bought one off the net without having ever handled one. When I actually handled it, I thought I would gag. It was absolutely HUGE, and I have big hands. The reach to the trigger was the longest I've ever experienced. It was the most uncomfortable gun (for me) that I have ever held.

Not real crazy about Glock's grips either, but I can easily adapt and shoot them effectively and well. Glocks are the Snap-On tools of guns ... simply the most reliabloe platform out there with decent accuracy. That's about all I can say about Glocks .... simple and reliable.

The best autos, without doubt, are the 1911 for a SA, and the CZ75B for DA/SA. The CZ75B seems like it is part of my hand and arm. The most ergonomically perfect gun that I think I've ever had the priviledge of owning. They are simply spectacular ... couple that with just incredible accuracy, and you have the best 9MM platform in existence. I've NEVER known ANYBODY that owned a CZ75 to say anything other than that they were the best 9MM that they had ever owned. The BHP's are also excellent ... never owned one ... shot many ... rock solid quality, also with exceptional accuracy, and some of the nicest polishing and bluing that you'll ever see. BHP's are beautiful.

Notice I didn't mention Sigs ... they're like super mega-accurate, chrome Snap-On tools. :D

REV