Heavy Leading in Single Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

alcortje

Bearcat
I purchased a pair of Single Sixes last year for $300 each. Both are NM, prewarning and show plenty of wear from the years. Dated them on the Ruger site at around 1973. One has a 6.5" bbl and the other sports a 5.5" bbl.

Got them out to shoot and found that both presented keyholing at 10 yards. I could keep it on the target but keyholes none the less. I ran a cleaning rod and jag through and found lead.

After further inspection I found that both barrels exhibited extreme leading forward of the forcing cone. Likely under the threaded portion of the frame. Removal from each yielded about 20 grains of lead per barrel.

I've read about this being a problem with centerfire BH but after searching I found nothing regarding the Single Six. Anyone have experience with this problem and if so what was the cure? This are nice revolvers and I'd like to have them around for a while.

Cheers J sends

wd4ins

Bearcat
Welcome to the forum! I've had the same problem. What brand of ammo are you using? If I were you I would clean all the lead out and then try a different brand of ammo. CCI Mini Mags should not lead. Some of the cheap bulk ammo works good in some of my guns but will lead up a Single Six in a few rounds.
Good Luck.

Cholo

Staff member
I've never had a leading problem with my 35 year old Single Six. I did swab it regularly after shooting a couple hundred rounds, but not so much now. The only bullets I've ever had keyhole at 25 yds were CCI's in the 70's. I still don't use them but have heard they're some of the best .22 ammo available today and I won't argue with that.

Just clean the guns properly and I believe the keyholing will disappear. If not, simply try different ammo.

It's not the 2 guns...

Ia.redneck

Bearcat
Agree with others, try the copper washed bullets like Fed bulk or CCI Mini Mags. Had severe leading and keyholing with Rem Thunderbolts.

alcortje

Bearcat
I was using Remington Target which I have never had a problem with in any of my MkII (own 3), 10/22 or Contender. I tried Lapua which I use for competition with the same results.

I think I have all the lead cleaned out and going to try it again later this week.

Cheers J sends

CajunBass

Single-Sixer
I've had the problem a couple of times, usually with Remington or Winchester plain lead bullets. My wife's Bersa leaded up so bad once that she got a cleaning rod stuck and I had to hammer it out. Another time my Smith & Wesson 17 started keyholing at 7 yards after only about 50 rounds with Winchester Wildcat ammo. Oddly enough the same ammo fired fine in a rifle.

It's more an ammo than gun thing I believe.

I mostly shoot copper washed stuff now because of it. Never had a problem with any of that.

SgtSam

Bearcat
I had this problem with a Taurus 94 some years ago. Turned out that there was no forcing cone in the barrel. It was straight in with sharp edges. Taurus put a new barrel on it, checked the timing and sent it back to me. Been shooting great ever since.

Never heard of it with a Single Six, though.

SgtSam

alcortje

Bearcat
Got out ot the range on Sunday with the two Single Sixes. They were freshly cleaned and no sign of lead or foul in the barrel.

The 5 1/2" barrelled one ran fine for about 30 rounds. The initial groups were about 2 1/2" at 25 yards off hand. There was signs of leading just forward of the forcing cone and what appeared to be trace smearing of lead forward in the cylinder. All in all though it is accurate.

The 6 1/2" barrelled one was also fine for 30 rounds. Group size was a bit tighter. It ran about 2" at 25 yards offhand. This one showed a bit more build up just in front of the forcing cone.

Shot with Lapua Match Plus ammo. Plenty of lube on these little buggers.

I didn't go much beyond 30 rounds per gun since you could see the accuracy of the groups open up as the round count went up.

Ran about 100 rounds through the MKII. As always, shot great and functioned flawlessly.

Cheers J sends

Latest posts