Heavy 45Colt info II

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gster

Single-Sixer
Unique was covered pretty well. How about Titegroup? Has anyone used it for 300-310 grn. cast? I'm leanin" towards 8.5 grns. to start. I've used Unique, Bullseye and H110.

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
I would keep the titgroup for 255's and lighter.
I use 2400 for my 300gr. to 330gr. Non gas checked cast bullets.
And h110/296 for the jacketed and gas checked heavies

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
How about Alliant 2400 or Accurate #9 to get those heavy bullets going or even #7 or Blue Dot or W231. Why such a fast powder?
Hodgdon burn rate chart.
http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Burn%20Rates%20-%202014-2015.pdf

Mus408

Hunter
Does a short barrel length,like 2.5 inch come in to play when deciding between Unique or 2400 powder for bullets heavier that 250 gr. ?

gster

Single-Sixer
Jimbo357mag said:
How about Alliant 2400 or Accurate #9 to get those heavy bullets going or even #7 or Blue Dot or W231. Why such a fast powder?
Hodgdon burn rate chart.
http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Burn%20Rates%20-%202014-2015.pdf

I will for sure take those other powders into consideration. No reason I have to use Titegroup....other than I have it and was thinking about trying it..
What I would like is a mid.pressure load at around 950-1000fps without having to go Ruger Only with these.
I'm casting coww water dropped, gas checked Lee c300 RF bullets that weigh from 311.5 to 313 grns.when finished. I'm gonna carry this NM Blackhawk 5 1/2" deer hunting with me. I have no need for dangerous game loads.

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
Go to Hodgdon's web page it has loads for titgroup & heavy bullets.
http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
gster said:
I will for sure take those other powders into consideration. No reason I have to use Titegroup....other than I have it and was thinking about trying it..
What I would like is a mid.pressure load at around 950-1000fps without having to go Ruger Only with these.
I'm casting coww water dropped, gas checked Lee c300 RF bullets that weigh from 311.5 to 313 grns.when finished. I'm gonna carry this NM Blackhawk 5 1/2" deer hunting with me. I have no need for dangerous game loads.
Getting that bullet up to 800-1000fps will take a 'Ruger Only' load somewhere under 30,000 CUP.

Titegroup - start - 7.5gr - 851fps - 20,400 CUP ===== Max 9.0gr - 1004fps - 28,500 CUP should do it according to Hodgdon. You do have a strong gun don't you? :D

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol

Mus408

Hunter
gster said:
Unique was covered pretty well. How about Titegroup? Has anyone used it for 300-310 grn. cast? I'm leanin" towards 8.5 grns. to start. I've used Unique, Bullseye and H110.

So what result did you see with Unique and a 300 gr. bullet?

gster

Single-Sixer
Mus408 said:
gster said:

So what result did you see with Unique and a 300 gr. bullet?

Fairly accurate@25yds.,2 1/2" with 8.5grns. Not a lot of recoil. I shot just 6 rnds. for accuracy. I just loaded up 6 with 15grns. of AA#9. I'll shoot them for comparison and if I get time this weekend I'll get some speeds through the chrono. I'll save the Titegroup for my 9mm, .40 and 45acp loads.

noahmercy

Blackhawk
The main benefit I have found with Titegroup is that is is very position insensitive. A small charge in a big case is still very uniform. I have used it for mid-speed loads with heavy bullets in 357 Magnum with decent results, but haven't played with it in the 40+ bore revolver cartridges.

Accurate 5744 will get you over 850 fps without wandering into "Ruger-Only" territory, and I have seen outrageously good accuracy with this powder, but it sometimes leaves unburned powder granules. I have actually settled on Unique for my mid-range 300 grain cast loads in 45 Colt. Accuracy is great, and although my loads are a tiny bit over book for "Colt" loads, they are nowhere near the true barn-burners.

dwayne

Single-Sixer
noahmercy said:
The main benefit I have found with Titegroup is that is is very position insensitive. A small charge in a big case is still very uniform. I have used it for mid-speed loads with heavy bullets in 357 Magnum with decent results, but haven't played with it in the 40+ bore revolver cartridges.

Accurate 5744 will get you over 850 fps without wandering into "Ruger-Only" territory, and I have seen outrageously good accuracy with this powder, but it sometimes leaves unburned powder granules. I have actually settled on Unique for my mid-range 300 grain cast loads in 45 Colt. Accuracy is great, and although my loads are a tiny bit over book for "Colt" loads, they are nowhere near the true barn-burners.

I bought into the Titegroup position insensitivity theory, too. Then I did a layman's analysis of different powders and their position sensitivities. In short, I shot some starting with the muzzle down then shot the same loads starting with the muzzle up. All were shot through my chronograph on the same day. I found that Titegroup was not any better than the other low volume fast burning powders. All of them varied significantly. If you need a powder that isn't position sensitive, pick one that fills more of the case -- 4227, H110, 2400, etc. Don't take my word for it, try it yourself.

Mus408

Hunter
Very pleased with my Unique load of 10.4 gr under a 300 gr. cast bullet giving 950 FPS out of a 2.5 inch barrel.
Now with 2400 or another powder would I just be flaming most of it out the barrel without much increase in FPS,but maybe a bit less pressure?

Arkansas Paul

Bearcat
For cast bullets, 2400 is the cat's meow IMO.

I like a 255 grain Keith bullet and 17 grains of 2400. It's a warm load but really not all that heavy. It's what I carry in the woods. I reckon it'll do just fine for the whitetails I'm chasing.

Very accurate load in my 7.5" NM Blackhawk.

Gunnut45/454

Bearcat
My current go to load is 15.8 grs of 2400 under the Lee 300 gr GC bullet. Haven't chronied it yet but its a nice accurate load in my 4.2" RH should be very close to 1000 fps .! Plenty of punch for BG's an critters! Recoil is mild considering its a 300 gr bullet!

dwayne

Single-Sixer
noahmercy said:
The main benefit I have found with Titegroup is that is is very position insensitive.

I bought into this claim, too -- until I did some testing of my own. I found that TG isn't much better than other powders. Try it out for yourself. Take a few and shake the powder down against the bullet and shoot them through your chrono' --- then take a few and shake the powder back against the primer and shoot them through your chrono'. Compare the results and let us know what you find. I found a surprisingly large variation. My solution -- 4227, 2400, H110.

TX Nimrod

Bearcat
Faster powders like W-231 or TightGroup give less recoil but higher pressures at similar velocities. Maximum Ruger-level velocities require slow powders like H-110 or lil'Gun. Medium powders like BlueDot or or AA-7 split the difference. Max velocities in short barrels? Decades of proof say the same powders that give the highest velocities in longer barrels.

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
If that is chrono'd grom your 2.5in with 300gr, you're doing good
A bbl that length will be signifigently less vel than a 4in.

Your question comes down to your personal priorities about muzzle blast. You can get competitively more vel at lower pressure with a slower powder. Won't be high by standards of normal bbl lengths, but comparitively higher. You have to decide where your trade offs intersect. Of slow-ish powders, AA9 should give least blast for a given velocity.