Heavy 45 Colt loads in a short barrel BH

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Greg F.

Single-Sixer
I just bought a used made in '99 blued 4 5/8" 45 convertible Blackhawk, which I am picking up on Saturday. I want to be able to shoot some of the Double Tap 335gr. loads through it, and want to know what I should expect as far as accuracy goes with this or similar loads in such a short barrel? As far as I know the front sight is fixed and the blade can't be replaced with a taller one, right? Is the rear sight going to have enough adjustment in it to allow me to shoot these loads accurately?

nn

Single-Sixer
Probably, but, aim point vs impact point may have to be learned.

tomiswho

Single-Sixer
That's one of the reasons I got a 4 5/8" bbl stainless - the front site is pinned. I replaced mine with a taller one from Ruger. Not having the convertible was a no brainer because the Colt round can do so much more than the ACP round can.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Some of the New Model .45's with the 4-5/8" barrel do indeed have the "tallest" sight blade available from Ruger.

Ah, but I usually install those sight blades on my 7-1/2" guns to get them to "regulate" to the chosen load.

52401191.jpg

Note the much taller sight blade on the New Model which has been to the Factory for the sight addition. The Old Model needs "kentucky windage, er, elevation" to hit to POA.

flatgate

JNewell

Single-Sixer
tomiswho":3qa6wosp said:
That's one of the reasons I got a 4 5/8" bbl stainless - the front site is pinned. I replaced mine with a taller one from Ruger. Not having the convertible was a no brainer because the Colt round can do so much more than the ACP round can.

Had to do the same. It was waaaaaaaaaaay off with the factory sight.

Greg F.

Single-Sixer
I recall that the gun has a pretty tall front sight, not sure if it's the tallest or not though. What is the height/dimension of Rugers tallest BH sight? For those of you who have shot 300+ grain loads in your 4 5/8" barrels did the POI equate with your POA? Was it higher/lower? What's the recoil like with these big loads in the 4 5/8" barrel? I'll try to post a picture of it once I pick it up. Thanks.

Greg F.

Single-Sixer
tomiswho":33qavgzc said:

I got the convertible model because I recently sold my last 45acp semi-auto and have a lot of ammo left and wanted something to shoot it in. Since I don't currently reload I figure most of my shooting will be done with the acp cylinder anyway. I also want to get some 45C ammo from Double Tap so I can use the gun as a hunting/camping/woods/desert gun.

meanc

Single-Sixer
I've got the reg 45 BH and the convertible in 4 5/8".

I'm pretty sure the 45 convertible BH already has the tallest front available as my regular 4 5/8" 45 BH has a shorter blade.

As far as accuracy or POI vs POA, you're not going to know until you shoot it yourself.

I have found the shorter barrels to shoot just as accurate as some of the longer ones at reasonable distances.

Some have found undersized cylinder throats to be the cause of accuracy issues. I had mine reamed to .4525" and there was a marked difference.

TDF

Single-Sixer
Greg F.":ajuofdqa said:
Is the rear sight going to have enough adjustment in it to allow me to shoot these loads accurately?

It might. My NM 45 Blackhawk 4-5/8 had plenty enough adjustment for slow moving 300 grain handloads. None of my Old Model 44's have been able to handle 300's with available sight adjustment. You won't know until you try.

TDF

TDF

Single-Sixer
Greg F.":2bv8myvt said:
What's the recoil like with these big loads in the 4 5/8" barrel?

EXCITING!

That's why I changed out my gripframe on my short barreled 45 for a Bisley style. Helped a lot.

TDF

Ilikeguns

Bearcat
Hey, another thread I can contribute to :)

All rounds fired at indoors range using two handed grip on new BH convertible 4 5/8" barrel, resting my hands, not barrel, on a sand bag.

First image is WWB .45 ACP 230 gr., 15 yards. 2nd image BB .45 Super 185 gr., 15 yards. Both types hit close to same aiming point. Last image DT 335 gr. LC at 25 yrds. I did not adjust the sights for these three types of ammo. Before shooting the DT ammo I fired off a box of the slower Corbon 335 gr. LC rounds. I only shot six of the DT rounds that session, my elbows were starting to hurt :)

IMG_5466.jpg

IMG_5467.jpg

IMG_5465.jpg

63November

Single-Sixer
I use 320 heavy loads (20+ grains W296) in my 45 Blackhawk. I do have to adjust the rear sight to get it to shoot where I want, but sighting it in has never been an issue. My revover is close to 20 years old.

Greg F.

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the info guys. I'm really looking forward to picking this gun up tomorrow.

Those are some impressive looking targets Ilikeguns, good shooting.

Ilikeguns

Bearcat
Thank you Greg F.

Of course those are the pick of the litter targets, slow fired. I do know that the BB 185 gr and the WWB 230 gr rounds are the two that I've stocked up on for use in the .45 ACP cylinder. I still have a few different loads to try out in the LC cylinder before I pick one to stockpile. I need to start hand loading when life slows down a bit.

Enigma

Hunter
Even if your front sight blade is not pinned in place, any decent gunsmith can mill it down and then mill a slot in the sight base to allow you to change sight blades. An alternative is to install an aftermarket sight with interchangeable blades like the one made by Weigand.

Greg F.

Single-Sixer
I picked up my BH today. My dealer/gunsmith said that the gun already has the highest available front sight blade. He checked the 45Colt cylinder throats and said they measured .450 and were all round. I decided to leave the cylinder with him to have him open them up to .4525. It should be done by this Wednesday. After that I'll take the gun to the range and post a report and pictures.

While I was there I noticed that they had an OM BH in 30 carbine serial # 122 for $750 and an OM Single-Six flatgate for $600. Both looked to be 90+ in condition. If anyone's interested in either PM me and I'll give you the store info.

Latest posts