I've got 2

294 A shooter that someone polished the grip frame and rear sight

64-90122 A 22lr I made from a single six

2012-02-14173521.jpg

2012-02-14173142.jpg

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
HAWKEYE#28 said:
Only that of the one pc. base, usually marked HAWKEYE, and Particular to the Hawkeye single shot......Friend RugerGuy notes in earlier conversations that he and associates were known to custom fit Weaver base applications to the factory drilled holes, allowing the use of Weaver rings on purely round scopes. He may wish to comment.......... 8)

Heres a pic of the Hawkeye Base,,,

001-22.jpg

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
Not common........sometimes it is found intact with an uninstalled original pkg that has somehow been split up from it's original Hawkeye. Or, it is in one of the boxes of miscellany that pop up at Gun Shows. BTW,there are some Tasco lookalikes, but I found they would not fit or work for me........NOTE: That pictured high headed screw is very difficult to obtain. It is so configured as to act as a block to the scope and stops the scope from sliding forward on it's mount when the gun is fired........ 8)

UmpquaCharlie

Buckeye
Just one serial number 241...I bought it new at Riley's in Hookset, NH years ago. Threw the box away as it was too cumbersome to pack back to Oregon.

Capn27

Single-Sixer
Pure dumb luck - I got an answer to a "Wanted - Hawkeye" ad on a local firearms classified website and was able to get #105 - no box.

2012-06-28_11-15-08_563.jpg

Numrich Arms had the Tasco base.

2012-06-28_11-14-11_350.jpg

Also, does anyone know what type of ring (singular?) this base would take?

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
RugerHound said:
Rich, that's a dandy!! Wow! The Hawkeye came with it's own scope mounting system I believe. Still don't have one so I'm not the one to be talkin' about what'll work or what won't. But surely one of the other collectors who has a slew of 'em will come forward with some info!

The common mount system was a Bushnell Phantom base and scope, (not supplied by Ruger, or any other , for the matter)essentially in a one or two power or slightly more. I have tried the tasco bases and found them non-compatible with the Bushnell scopes. Others note that they custom fitted and accordingly, drilled Weaver base (one pc.) and used Weaver rings and scopes or others in one inch extended eye relief. Of course, most of us recognze the Hawkeyes that had their collector value ruined by D&T(S) on the top of the breech block frame(Topstrap) Frankly, I would either leave yours to rest in it's box, or, shoot it with the open sights. We have discussed elsewhere on this forum, other post type Bushnell mounts that also work with the Bushnell Phantom scopes noted. MIKE 8)

radicalrod

Hunter
Well my first RH28 I found by accident at a Cleveland OGCA show....was walking the isles and saw an odd Ruger box under an older guys arm....asked what he had(I knew what it was) he opens it up and it was #148 Hawkeye.....well he wanted 1K and I offered 900.....we flipped a coin to see who won and the darn thing rolled under the table.....we split the price at 950.....sold it when I got 144 and 145 as who would think you could fill in that many numbers :lol: :lol: :lol: well I just acquired 146 this spring :shock: :shock: :shock: now I am thinking I should have kept ol' 148......also have #38 and #265 (my HIGH number gun).....someday I need to shoot one....RR.

Chance

Buckeye

Just got this in for a friend who is in Alaska for the summer. Gun will live in Payson, AZ. No box, papers or scope but a near perfect beautiful plum gun.

chet15

Hawkeye
Hey Jerry...you got a pic of the numbered sleeve you can post?

If there are two #5's, it wouldn't suprise me....I believe that was originally Bill Jr's number so he could have very easily made another.
The earliest history I know of with Jerry's #5 is that I believe it used to reside with Ron Burke in Broken Bow, OK. Seems Ron had an interesting story (or maybe not) on the previous owner of that one.
Chet15

chet15

Hawkeye
Hey...another thought just hit me....who said there weren't any "Duplicate" Hawkeyes? Maybe that's a first...and before the rules of GCA'68, Ruger didn't always mark their duplicates with a "D".
Chet15

gunzo

Buckeye
I can add s/n 3099 to the list. It came home with me tonight. Many Rugers have pased through my hands over the last 40 years, but this is my first Hawkeye. I kinda feel all warm & fuzzy.

A Question...... Mine has an "S" stamped on the top of the barrel just in front of the top strap. Is that where the s is on this model or...?

chet15

Hawkeye
gunzo said:
I can add s/n 3099 to the list. It came home with me tonight. Many Rugers have pased through my hands over the last 40 years, but this is my first Hawkeye. I kinda feel all warm & fuzzy.

A Question...... Mine has an "S" stamped on the top of the barrel just in front of the top strap. Is that where the s is on this model or...?

The "S" on the top of the barrel near the frame is Ruger's proofmark for the Hawkeye, since the rear end of the barrel is actually the chamber of that single-shot. On a centerfire Revolver, ruger stamps the front or rear of the cylinder with an "S".
But for factory "second" marked Ruger single actions, Ruger would either stamp an "S" before or after the serial number, or on the bottom of the cylinder frame ahead of the trigger guard.
Chet15

gunzo

Buckeye
Chet,
Thank you very much for the "S" info. I know what to look for on most BH's but have very limited knowledge of Hawkeyes.
I fell very lucky to be able to own one, but had a feeling of having one of 10? s models would be pushing it.

bigbore45colt

Hunter
chet15 said:
But for factory "second" marked Ruger single actions, Ruger would either stamp an "S" before or after the serial number, or on the bottom of the cylinder frame ahead of the trigger guard.
Chet15

Hey Chad...sometimes Ruger wouldn't stamp them...I had a 10" 357 that was a factory second but not stamped.

Just sayin'

BB45C