Hawkeye RSI Arrived w/Pics

Help Support Ruger Forum:

First impressions is good. Fit and finish is good. Wood is nice but not outstanding. Have not mounted optics due to lack of funds. I will start saving for a Burris Timberline or simular scope. Took it out today and fired 3 rounds and ran a bore snake and fired 3 more. I just wanted to see how the sights would work. out. Fired at some rocks in local desert area and got solid hits at about 125 yards. Trigger seems good with crisp break following short travel. I am very happy to finally have it and look forward to placing a nice compact optic on it and starting to zero and fine tune it for hunting in AZ. Sorry about the picture quality. Took these in the bed of my truck with cell phone camera.

IMG00068.jpg

IMG00065.jpg

IMG00064.jpg

IMG00066.jpg

4Sixteen

Bearcat
Congratulations! Aren't these about the most nicely balanced and prettiest rifles around.

I sure love my 308 Mk II International. :D

Bigboreshooter

Single-Sixer
Congrats on getting a very nice rifle. I have a M77Mk II RSI in 308 and absolutely love it.

I think the RSI's are just about the coolest rifles out there. :D

Meeteetse

Bearcat
Bought an RSI in .308 when they first hit the market 20+ years ago. Love the gun and like the idea that few are seen in the field. They stand out from the traditional bolt gun and I like that. I also like the idea that it is offered with open sights. Something you rarely see on most rifles today.

If I have any complaint about the gun it is the sling swivels. I wish the front swivel was a standard stud or a recessed stud so taking off the sling was easier.

Enjoy your new rifle.

Silent Sam

Blackhawk
They not only have sights, they have rugged, useable sights that work well with a peep.

I am sure there was a std sling stud in the box when I got mine. I'll have to dig out that box as I leave all the "paraphernalia" in the box. I prefer the strap anyway. I ran a latigo sling thru it and leave it slung. I use it for shooting. It deserves its own and it's always ready to go. Wouldn't be hard to change to a stud if you wanted to. I don't think it would really devalue the gun if you did it so it could be put back. I'd make it the way I wanted anyway. If it ever gets sold it'll be after I'm gone and I don't think I'll be worrying about the price ;).

Wood on mine is fairly plain as are all that I have seen. Sometimes some nice straight grain. I have never seen a nicely figured piece of wood on one, ever. I'm talking about old #1 type of wood. Has anyone?

Mine is a favorite deer rifle. A good shooter and easy to carry. I highly recommend trying the NECG peep sight. I really believe it made me a better shooter and it works great w/ the RSI. If the rifle is wearing a scope the peep is in my pocket. I have swapped them around and they both hold zero. It carries even nicer w/o a scope. You give up a few minutes of low light, but I think I'm faster w/ the peep. Once you get it dialed in you just slap the bead on target and squeeze. Really a lot of fun. My groups are the same at hundred as w/ the scope w/ 50+ yr old eyes so don't let that deter you. My groups with the flip up sight open up a bit and they are a lot slower than the peep. If you can see the front sight the peep will work.

Have fun with that new RSI.

Silent Sam,
Thanks for you thoughts on the NECG peep sight. Having both a 243 and 308 in the RSI configuation, I think it would be worth while to invest in one of these sights. I will place it on my short list.

I just purchased a scope for my 308 and will be posting some pics of the complete package soon. I purchased a Nikon buckmaster 3X9X40 BDC. I know that I have received many positive suggestions to go with a shorter or more compact rifle scope but when it came right down to it, I do not mind a midsize optic length on the RSI. My 243 is shootig so well with that length that I decided to duplicate it.

Meeteetse

Bearcat
Silent Sam":3ieso31z said:
They not only have sights, they have rugged, useable sights that work well with a peep.

I am sure there was a std sling stud in the box when I got mine. I'll have to dig out that box as I leave all the "paraphernalia" in the box. I prefer the strap anyway. I ran a latigo sling thru it and leave it slung. I use it for shooting. It deserves its own and it's always ready to go. Wouldn't be hard to change to a stud if you wanted to. I don't think it would really devalue the gun if you did it so it could be put back. I'd make it the way I wanted anyway. If it ever gets sold it'll be after I'm gone and I don't think I'll be worrying about the price ;).

Wood on mine is fairly plain as are all that I have seen. Sometimes some nice straight grain. I have never seen a nicely figured piece of wood on one, ever. I'm talking about old #1 type of wood. Has anyone?

Mine is a favorite deer rifle. A good shooter and easy to carry. I highly recommend trying the NECG peep sight. I really believe it made me a better shooter and it works great w/ the RSI. If the rifle is wearing a scope the peep is in my pocket. I have swapped them around and they both hold zero. It carries even nicer w/o a scope. You give up a few minutes of low light, but I think I'm faster w/ the peep. Once you get it dialed in you just slap the bead on target and squeeze. Really a lot of fun. My groups are the same at hundred as w/ the scope w/ 50+ yr old eyes so don't let that deter you. My groups with the flip up sight open up a bit and they are a lot slower than the peep. If you can see the front sight the peep will work.

Have fun with that new RSI.

Couldn't agree with you more. I also use a latigo sling and it works well. I just thought it would be nice to be able to take off the sling easier, but it isn't really a problem.

The wood on mine is unremarkable but straight grained, fairly light in color and yet attractive. Several years ago I offered my RSI to my son but he took a Win. Mdl 70 I had instead. Sort of glad he did.

Good idea about the peep sights. I will look into it, (bad pun) but my 60+ year old eyes my not be good enough any longer, but I like the idea.

Trey Whitley

Single-Sixer
varoadking":1l0hy89o said:
I highly recommend trying the NECG peep sight.

What size front sight did you need?

I use the NECG peep on my 6.5x55 RSI with the factory front sight- no change necessary. That said, I think the replacement NECG "ivory" front sights are easier to see, and I mounted one of those on my M77 Express for use with the rear express sight.

Silent Sam

Blackhawk
Factory front sight will work. Ivory may be easier to see for some. Easy to change.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
The Burris Timberline is very small and has a short body, I have a few but not on my RSI. Even their 4.5 to 14 is small. Just make certain the scope tube is long enough.