Hawkeye RSI 308

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I have been following some of the posts on the Hawkeye RSI's and have found myself wanting a second one for my collection. Here is my current RSI rifle in 243 Model 77 MKII:

013-1.jpg

I have been really happy with it and it shoots better than expected. I am a big fan of the 308 caliber and have been considering the RSI in that chambering.

A post I read on this forum featured a member asking about the .243 / 270 / 30.06 and 308 chamberings of the RSI and that really got me interested again.

I located one on Gun Broker and well, the price was right and I made the deal. That being said, here are a few questions about this new rifle.

It is a Hawkeye rather than M77 MKII.

Will I notice any diffrence between the two?

Will the finish be matt like current hawkeyes or bright blue like my M77?

Any talk of this model going away?

Anyone have a suggestion for a scope?

My current 243 has the LC6 trigger so that should be the same. Looking forward to completing the deal and getting my hands on this rifle. Thanks to the forum members for getting my interest up enough to make the deal.

Trey Whitley

Single-Sixer
The finish will be matte and the Hawkeye has a logo stamped on the floorplate and a different recoil pad but otherwise I think they are substantially the same rifle.

I like the Leupold VX-II 2-7x and the VX-III 2.5-8x. To me other scopes just look too big on the RSI.

I think I can live with the matte finish, recoil pad and logo stamp. On my MK II in 243 I mounted a Burris 3X-9X fullfield II and it is a little on the large side but performs nicely. I will explore the Leupold VX-II 2-7x and the VX-III 2.5-8x.

Looks like rifle will not ship til next week so I have some time to research scopes. Thanks for the info.

valkrider8

Single-Sixer
As posted by Trey, I too would also suggest a 2x7x32mm scope. That's what I put on mine. It's a nice compact rifle, no need to put a long, large bell scope on it. :wink: Enjoy your new toy. :D

sebtool

Blackhawk
1 line you may want to check out is the 'new' Burris Timberline scopes. They're compact, with 28-32mm objectives, and 2-7x or 3-9x magnification.

If the glass holds up to Burris standards, they should be decent scopes. And they're reasonably priced.

I wanted to get 1 for my Marlin 1894 .22 mag for Christmas, but ended up with a holster for my GP100 instead.... darn the bad luck! :) hopefully soon tho.

BTW - let us know how she shoots! That rifle's been on my short list for awhile now....

Daveboone

Single-Sixer
I have a VX 111 in 1.5x5 on my Ruger .308, but I also am usually confined to woodland hunting with alot of relatively close shooting.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
sebtool":3gjqflc0 said:
1 line you may want to check out is the 'new' Burris Timberline scopes. They're compact, with 28-32mm objectives, and 2-7x or 3-9x magnification.
If the glass holds up to Burris standards, they should be decent scopes. And they're reasonably priced.

I wanted to get 1 for my Marlin 1894 .22 mag for Christmas, but ended up with a holster for my GP100 instead.... darn the bad luck! :) hopefully soon tho.

BTW - let us know how she shoots! That rifle's been on my short list for awhile now....

That's what I put on my 77 RSI - and on my Browning 22 auto and my T/C Contender and Encore. They look quite at home, size of the scope really fits well on the carbine and compact rifles. Very nice optics. You may even want to consider their 4.5 to 14X Timberline, still a very small scope.

4Sixteen

Bearcat
I have a 308 Mk II, shown here with a Nikon Monarch 1.5x4.5 scope. About the nicest handling and well-balanced rifle there is.

I believe the Hawkeye has the LC6 trigger.

mannlicher.jpg

A

Anonymous

I put a little Leupold m8 4 power on my 243 rsi and like the looks of it pretty well.

APEXDUCK

Single-Sixer
4sixteen, I like your choice of scope on your RSI.

I don't own a Ruger international but do own two CZ rimfire fullstock bolt guns. They look better with small bell compact scopes. Would love to have Leupolds on mine but for now have Bushnell Banner 1.5-4.5x on them.

twinCZ452FS.jpg

Apexduck

4Sixteen

Bearcat
Another scope for my 308 Mk II International, a fixed 10x Bushnell Elite 3200, for long range work. Gotta love the quick-detach scope mount design. 8)

intl10xe.jpg