Hawkeye or M77 MKII RSI

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SHOOTER

Buckeye
These RSI's sure look sweet & with a 18inch barrel in .308 - that rifle has to be quick handling. My question - What is the difference in these two rifles...

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
The only difference between a Hawkeye rifle and a MkII are...

-satin stainless or blued on a MkII vs. the matte finishes on a Hawkeye

-a slimmer stock profile on the Hawkeye. RSI stocks are probably the same between the two models.

-a redesigned "LC-6" trigger in the Hawkeye. It will fit a MkII rifle. The last of the MkII rifles were equipped with the LC-6...I have a few LC-6 MkII's.

Most of the differences are purely cosmetic and the action dimensions have not changed. You can swap stocks from either rifle as long as the barrel profile is the same , without any modifications. The biggest decision is which finish you prefer.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
I have the MkII and the trigger is fine, the finish of the steel is in my opinion much better on the MkII than the Hawkeye. A dull, rough matte finish on steel such as the Hawkeye has is not in my opinion suitable for such a stylish rifle. A MkII barreled action in a Hawkeye stock would be nice though.

Silent Sam

Blackhawk
Also the Hawkeye has steel bottom metal w/ Ruger logo. MKII has aluminum. I seriously doubt there is any difference in the RSI stock. That change refers to the standard stock and for me it isn't a difference I even notice (beyond the checkering). Many MKIIs were shipped w/ the LC6 trigger.

MFD

Bearcat
I have the 77MKII cal.308, and it came w/ steel bottom(no laser logo on it) and the new trigger. It was one of the last being produced. Had the Hawkeye RSI in '06 and sold it for just did not like the overall appearance of it. Never shot the Hawkeye, but have the MKII and it shoots very well indeed for the first 3 or 4 rnds. which is fine for a light sporter. Handles very nicely and definitely a keeper.
martin

Latest posts