Hawkeye Barrel and Stock

Help Support Ruger Forum:

miketuite

Bearcat
Hi,

I just bought a Hawkeye .30-06, and I was surprised to find that the barrel is making contact with the stock for it's full length. I was wondering if anyone has free-floated the barrel and, if so, how it's effects accuracy.

Thanks,

Mike

TBear77

Single-Sixer
Hi Mike,

First welcome to the forum.

The M77 Hawkeye barrel is supposed to contact the stock only at the fore-end tip. You can see the pressure 'hump' on the stock with the barrel removed. That said, each barrel behaves differently; has it's own likes and dislikes. Here's a trick on figuring out what your's likes.

1. Shoot a 5-round group, making sure the diagonal bedding screw is good and tight (Ruger torques them to about 90 inch-pounds).

2. Add a shim (made from a margarine tub lid) under the forward part of the receiver, just behind the diagonal screw. And another shim around the rear triggerguard screw. Then shoot another 5-round group and compare to the original.

3. Remove the 2 shims from step 2. Add a shim under the barrel over the pressure 'hump.' Shoot another 5-shot group and compare to the 2 previous groups.

This trick should give you an indication if your rifle likes to be free-floated, tip pressure increased, or just left alone.

If it was me, I would first sand a bit off the barrel channel to where it only made contact at the tip. Then try the trick above.

Hope this helps,
Ted

miketuite

Bearcat
Thanks, guys, that's very helpful. Sam, the rifle is new enough that I haven't gotten to shoot it yet, but I intend to follow your advice as well as Ted's.

Ted, thanks for the welcome. Ten years or so ago, I was quite active on this form, but then life got in the way of fun. I'm back (retired) now!

Mike